Did your kids like the "family friendly" comedian?

MaiTaiMary

Years ago my young teen daughter was picked on. She had left to go to the restroom. Just as she was returning the comedian asked me her name. Stupidly, I told him. He had the whole audience stand up and call out her name and then he made some crude comments about where she had been. She literally sank almost to the floor when she resumed her seat. We were sitting very close to him and to make matters even worse, when the show was over, he told her I had put him up to doing that to her. Well, I won't continue with what happened after that!! I must say I really lost it!!

Ironic, I was just on another thread and I posted to you that you are so funny. Take that with a grain of salt, I have been told I have no sense of humor. I reply, no, I just only recognize really good humor!!:D

Years ago went to see Howie Mandel . During the performance a guy got up and went to the restroom, Howie waited til he was out of the room and then had everyone move over one seat , so when the guy came back he was all screwed up. There was a guy in what he thought was his seat. He didn't realize his wife was at the end of the next row . Luckily he was a good sport.

Years ago in Las Vegas . Don Rickles had a field day with my ex wife . He asked her a question and she gave him all the ammo he needed *LOL*

We've been cruising for five years now and we have had good family friendly comedians and bad ones. We had a comedian on Glory that had my kids laughing so hard they dropped to the floor and this same comedian was able to make references to older topics for those of us born in the 60s and 70s and make it relevant to the young kids. He also looked at his audience and geared the jokes toward them. We also had some who keep implying that they could not tell or finish some jokes because this was the family show. And many comedians had the same jokes over and over for each show that they did which became boring when the family friendly and the adult is the same words but with the Fword and others added in. I personally do not like the adult shows and prefer to go to the earlier family friendly show but my husband likes to see both.

Years ago went to see Howie Mandel . During the performance a guy got up and went to the restroom, Howie waited til he was out of the room and then had everyone move over one seat , so when the guy came back he was all screwed up. There was a guy in what he thought was his seat. He didn't realize his wife was at the end of the next row . Luckily he was a good sport.

Years ago in Las Vegas . Don Rickles had a field day with my ex wife . He asked her a question and she gave him all the ammo he needed *LOL*

I had to look it up to see if Don Rickles was even still alive. He is, 89. I find his type of humor very crude and insulting. But, he has made a lifetime career of it and is still active. So, must have fans.

The only comedian I even remember on a ship was Cowboy Bob, or Bill, or something like that. Husband thought he was a hoot. He also gets a big kick of the reality shows about hunting "gators" or running moonshine. I can barely stay in the room when they are on. Husband from Atlantic City area, so redneck humor is new to him. I told him maybe it hits a little too close to home for me. (Family of mine that are all long gone now) were so country, the y make the gator hunters and such sound like cosmopolitan big city people. Wish he could go to a family reunion that went on when I was a kid. He'd literally die laughing.:rolleyes:

On our last cruise, we had a family who had their 14 year old dress in a ridiculous outfit and sit in the front to get attention.

This was repeated for all 5 comediennes that came on board and all 5 took the bait. Needless to say, the first 10 minutes of a new routine got old fast.

On our last cruise, we had a family who had their 14 year old dress in a ridiculous outfit and sit in the front to get attention.

This was repeated for all 5 comediennes that came on board and all 5 took the bait. Needless to say, the first 10 minutes of a new routine got old fast.

That's kinda creepy (the family, not the comics).

I had to look it up to see if Don Rickles was even still alive. He is, 89. I find his type of humor very crude and insulting. But, he has made a lifetime career of it and is still active. So, must have fans.

The only comedian I even remember on a ship was Cowboy Bob, or Bill, or something like that. Husband thought he was a hoot. He also gets a big kick of the reality shows about hunting "gators" or running moonshine. I can barely stay in the room when they are on. Husband from Atlantic City area, so redneck humor is new to him. I told him maybe it hits a little too close to home for me. (Family of mine that are all long gone now) were so country, the y make the gator hunters and such sound like cosmopolitan big city people. Wish he could go to a family reunion that went on when I was a kid. He'd literally die laughing.:rolleyes:

That would be Cowboy Bill Martin...who we have seen also and both his family friendly and adult shows were HILARIOUS.

The cruise we saw him on..one night before the show, my son decided to pitch a hissy because he said it was taking too long for the show to start. Bill overheard my husband give him a stern reprimand and later on, in the show, complimented him for being a good parent unlike the ones, pre-show, who'd let their toddler run around screaming and whacking people at random and the kid even ran up on the stage. At one point, the toddler took his shirt off and some people (we assumed they were his parents) told him to take it off, take it aaallllll off. Shirt came off followed by his shorts. I assumed his diaper was going to be next.:eek: Thankfully it wasn't..Mom had pulled her IPhone out to take pictures or video or something and the kid ran over and grabbed it from her and raced up on stage where he gleefully proceeded to do a

on his mom's phone until she got up and took it away.

That would be Cowboy Bill Martin...who we have seen also and both his family friendly and adult shows were HILARIOUS.

The cruise we saw him on..one night before the show, my son decided to pitch a hissy because he said it was taking too long for the show to start. Bill overheard my husband give him a stern reprimand and later on, in the show, complimented him for being a good parent unlike the ones, pre-show, who'd let their toddler run around screaming and whacking people at random and the kid even ran up on the stage. At one point, the toddler took his shirt off and some people (we assumed they were his parents) told him to take it off, take it aaallllll off. Shirt came off followed by his shorts. I assumed his diaper was going to be next.:eek: Thankfully it wasn't..Mom had pulled her IPhone out to take pictures or video or something and the kid ran over and grabbed it from her and raced up on stage where he gleefully proceeded to do a

on his mom's phone until she got up and took it away.

Yikes!!!:eek:Even double yikes!! Maybe we only went to the adult versions as have never, thankfully seen that type of behavior. Maybe we were just lucky enough to only be there when responsible parents such as your self, were there with their children.:)

*LOL*

You know its funny ..... Years ago before the world became so sensitive and politically correct . Many comedians stock in trade was making jokes about their ethnic or regional families and upbringings . It was always funniest when you could hear a joke or a story and laugh and say "Oh God I thought my mother was the only one that did that at a funeral" " Oh man I thought that only happened at our family's weddings". People were able to laugh at themselves and others. You learned there were a lot more similarities than differences between cultures, and races, and religions and nationalities..You learned there was one in every family , and you weren't the only one. :)

*LOL*

You know its funny ..... Years ago before the world became so sensitive and politically correct . Many comedians stock in trade was making jokes about their ethnic or regional families and upbringings . It was always funniest when you could hear a joke or a story and laugh and say "Oh God I thought my mother was the only one that did that at a funeral" " Oh man I thought that only happened at our family's weddings". People were able to laugh at themselves and others. You learned there were a lot more similarities than differences between cultures, and races, and religions and nationalities..You learned there was one in every family , and you weren't the only one. :)

Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall and Ron White are some of my favorite comedians for just this reason. I'm laughing so hard that I almost can't breathe and big fat tears are rolling down my face because I did (and do!) have family members exactly like the people they describe in their acts.

If you have Netflix, I think they have the Gabriel Iglesias comedy specials, which had me almost rolling on the floor because again..it's ethnic humor and poking fun at himself for being fat but it's still really, really funny.

Edited by IPlayWithString

We've had both experiences at the family shows, it's really a mixed bag and you never know who you'll end up with. One show was really just the profanity removed, but luckily most of the adult humor went over their heads. On the Breeze, we had separate comedians for the adult and family shows and it worked out much better and was truly a family friendly show as he was great at engaging the kids and teens. (I'll have to pull out the FunTimes to see who it was, great guy though!)

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

My son is a tween and he has gone a few times. It really depends on the comedian but most of the time he follows along just fine. But, he's "mature" as his brother is about to be 18 so there is a lot of more adult conversation around our house.

A lot of times, even when he isn't with us, I have seen the comedians target the kids in the audience and use them to make the comedy. Those work out great. My guess is you got a "dud" or one that just didn't appeal. We have had one or two that isn't to our taste. Some are better at the family show than the adult and visa versa - it all depends on where their talents lie.

[quote name='hotsauce126']its more for prudes than for kids[/quote]

What an inane statement.:rolleyes: For anyone with even a modicum of intelligence, humour does not need to be R-rated to be funny.

[IMG]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ed/c5/fd/edc5fd329e0a24773b480ed9ddb9a568.jpg[/IMG]