Just off the Emerald March 14-19, 2016

love2float

For what it's worth I had a similar experience as the OP on the Emerald March 5th sailing. Does it ruin the cruise? No. There were some bright spots. But it doesn't meet expectations either. I believe it was an epic fail on Princess's part. I agree with the OP about the dress too. One evening there was a young lady walking up the stairs in the Piazza, 5-6 stairs in front of us and her skirt was extremely short and revealed that she was wearing no underpants. We saw a girl being brought back to the ship at Grand Turk in a wheel chair by security and she was pretty much unconscious. It's pretty hard to look the other way. I sent a letter to Princess after the cruise sharing my disappointment and many of my observations. I received a call from customer relations within a week. He apologized and I was told that Princess is aware of the issues all the way up the chain and are looking at ways to address where the fail was. Is this really true? It seemed sincere but who knows. After 9 Princess cruises, its time to try another cruise line.

Edited by Elizabeth K.

I couldn't agree more! I've sailed on Royal Caribbean in recent years, and they did make us stand out on deck in the sun for 30-45 minutes....the Princess method is much more comfortable, IMO.

I was on a Royal Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago and all the time we were out on the deck for the mandatory muster there was a vessel at the ship bunkering fuel. Exhaust fumes from the vessel's engines went straight to where we were mustering the entire time.

For what it's worth I had a similar experience as the OP on the Emerald March 5th sailing. Does it ruin the cruise? No. There were some bright spots. But it doesn't meet expectations either. I believe it was an epic fail on Princess's part. I agree with the OP about the dress too. One evening there was a young lady walking up the stairs in the Piazza, 5-6 stairs in front of us and her skirt was extremely short and revealed that she was wearing no underpants. We saw a girl being brought back to the ship at Grand Turk in a wheel chair by security and she was pretty much unconscious. It's pretty hard to look the other way. I sent a letter to Princess after the cruise sharing my disappointment and many of my observations. I received a call from customer relations within a week. He apologized and I was told that Princess is aware of the issues all the way up the chain and are looking at ways to address where the fail was. Is this really true? It seemed sincere but who knows. After 9 Princess cruises, its time to try another cruise line.

I do believe that Princess is aware of the issues all the way up the chain and are looking at way to address where the fail was. These sailings were not the norm for Princess. Last year 50 kids came from one college came, word got out and this year over 400 from that school alone came. They passed it along on Facebook and not only did kids from their school come, but kids from surrounding schools. I can tell you that one of the kids from last year was complaining because the 3/5/16 sailing was totally unlike their experience last year. They didn't have any lines for drinks at the bars last year and couldn't get over this year.

Since Princess has rules about having someone 21 along for the sailing and booking the cabins, those rules were followed. Short of showing discrimination, how do you stop so many college students from booking when they are legal adults? This is going to be a tough one for Princess. Perhaps not having any short cruises during the month of March would greatly help which would be a shame for those of us not in college. As would not having the AIBP for those of us who purchase it on every cruise.

I've cruised over spring break time before and have never seen anything like this before. But those were all 7 night cruises. It will be interesting to see what next year brings.

Eliminate all short cruises during the month of March having a minimum of either 7 or 10 day trips.

Eliminate the AIBP during spring break.

Princess would gain the reputation of not being a party ship at the loss of a few people not being able to take a short trip during that period.

Eliminate all short cruises during the month of March having a minimum of either 7 or 10 day trips.

Princess would gain the reputation of not being a party ship at the loss of a few people not being able to take a short trip during that period.

Eliminating the AIBP actually would having those of us who are not college students pay the price for their behavior because it wouldn't be an option for us.

They already do have the reputation of not being a party ship. That's why I booked with them again during spring break. This is the first time that any of the crew had seen anything like this on a Princess ship. It was the first time in 20 years they said that they ran out of hard liquor on Princess Cay.

I also know many college kids who take 7 day spring break cruises. If it leaves on a Saturday and comes back on a Saturday its a no brainer. These kids not only had the money to pay for the cruise and the AIBP, they also had the money to drink heavily off the ship while at Margaritaville and other places on shore, do shore excursions, rent cars etc. Since the 5 night wasn't that much cheaper than a 7 night, it's not like it would keep them off. Many we spoke to were talking about booking a 7 night on Princess for next year since 5 nights was so much fun.

I personally did't book the 5 night because of price, I booked it since that is what fit into our schedule. For a bit more I could have been on a 7 night that same week.

Edited by cjskids

Eliminating the AIBP actually would having those of us who are not college students pay the price for their behavior because it wouldn't be an option for us.

They already do have the reputation of not being a party ship. That's why I booked with them again during spring break. This is the first time that any of the crew had seen anything like this on a Princess ship. It was the first time in 20 years they said that they ran out of hard liquor on Princess Cay.

I also know many college kids who take 7 day spring break cruises. If it leaves on a Saturday and comes back on a Saturday its a no brainer. These kids not only had the money to pay for the cruise and the AIBP, they also had the money to drink heavily off the ship while at Margaritaville and other places on shore, do shore excursions, rent cars etc. Since the 5 night wasn't that much cheaper than a 7 night, it's not like it would keep them off. Many we spoke to were talking about booking a 7 night on Princess for next year since 5 nights was so much fun.

I personally did't book the 5 night because of price, I booked it since that is what fit into our schedule. For a bit more I could have been on a 7 night that same week.

Still eliminating the AIBP and scheduling 10 day trips would eliminate 99% of the spring breakers. Isn't that what most Princess PAX really want? Just peace & quiet without all the commotion. If people want a short cruise just boos a month before or after.

Let's see. Spring break cruises sell out and have higher than normal pricing.

Sure Princess wants to have trouble filling the ship for a longer cruise at lower per day prices.

Let's see. Spring break cruises sell out and have higher than normal pricing.

Sure Princess wants to have trouble filling the ship for a longer cruise at lower per day prices.

Of course it's initially better for Princess to fully book short cruises during the peak of spring break but even though they probably sold out the ship they probably lost money because of sharing the AIBP and because of their reputation in being a party ship. Who in their right mind would now book a Princess cruise during spring break after reading these reports?

I'd bet none of the regular families who booked these short trips would never do it again- at least not during spring break.

The debate in the previous few threads is essentially moot as there is only a single five day cruise on Crown Princess March 20 2017. That's it for Short Getaways from Florida during Spring Break next year. And its a couple weeks later than the two cruises that reported all the issues this year.

As for Princess addressing the issue "up the chain" one would think the obvious change would be adopting the same policy as corporate sibling Carnival: if anyone on the booking is age 18-20 there must be someone age 25 or higher in the same cabin; the 21 year old "designated kegmaster" frat brother won't cut it. A couple years ago NCL tested raising the age that one could use their AIBP from 21 to 25 during Spring Break, but it turns out they regretted the lost revenue from their mandatory 18% gratuity on those who receive the package as a "free" perk. Not to mention having to deal with the 21-24 year olds who discovered their included beverage package was only for sodas; happy drunks turned out easier to deal with than the angry involuntary sober.

Edited by fishywood

I've been reading this and other similar threads about spring breakers on various Emerald cruises this month. I thought I would offer my views.

DW and I enjoyed our 3/14 - 3/19 getaway on the Emerald. However, I can understand why others may have been chagrined. IMHO it depends on the type of cruiser you are. No value judgments...just opinion.

Here is the type of cruiser who should probably (maybe definitely?) avoid similar cruises in the future. Those who:

--Do not like spending lots of time in their cabin

--Enjoy poolside solitude, MUTS and other top deck activities

--Want to be able to get a drink from almost any bar with minimum waiting

--Enjoy the Princess Cays experience

--Are offended by seeing lots (and I mean lots!) of skin on fit, and not so fit, young people

--Are accompanied by young, impressionable children

--Prefer anytime dining

On the other hand, if, you are like DW and me (over 20 Princess cruises of varying lengths, destinations and ships) you might find the cruise entertaining and a welcome change from the "God's waiting room" atmosphere on some cruises. (Please don't take offense, I can see the entrance to the waiting room on the horizon and hope I get to stay there a long time!)

Our cruising style for this type cruise is:

--Spending lots of time reading, practice napping and enjoying the solitude of our balcony

--Considering Princess Cays as just another sea day

--Staying dry--we haven't been in a Princess pool in "can't remember when"

--Going to the Lido deck only to enjoy lunch or a snack and immediately returning to our "cocoon"

--Watching the occasional movie in the Princess Theater and/or on our cabin TV

--Going to the "spas"--DW to the one with massages; yours truly to the one where you have a chance to have more money when you leave than when you enter

--Taking our "BOGO +1" cocktails back to our balcony

--Choosing late traditional dining at a table for two

Simply put, our cruising style minimizes exposure to the type of offensive behavior described here and in other threads. Consequently, we would not hesitate to take another spring break cruise if that is what fits our schedule.

Again, I am not quibbling with any prior poster. I have no doubt they observed some of the behavior they described. I just wanted to offer another perspective to those whose cruising style might be closer to ours. It is possible to enjoy a spring break cruise without getting caught up in the revelry if that is what you wish.

Edited by AJs Grandpa

Simply put, our cruising style minimizes exposure to the type of offensive behavior described here and in other threads.

Consequently, we would not hesitate to take another spring break cruise if that is what fits our schedule.

I guess some are similarly situated.

I agree....I was on the March 10-14 sailing as well, and it was perfectly fine. No trouble getting drinks, service was great, etc. Don't let your experience on this one oddball sailing spoil you for sailing on Princess in the future.

I was on the 3/10 sailing also. I would like to know where you were able to get drinks with no trouble? Sail away on 3/10 at the outrigger bar was nearly impossible. Sea days the same way. I have been on 15 Princess cruises and never have had to wait 20-30 minutes for a drink consistently like this cruise. There was also a lack of bartenders. I saw a lot of times only 1 bartender. Busy times they could certainly use 4 bartenders at many of the bars. Before the drink package was offered, servers were everywhere on deck trying to hawk drinks. Now, they are about non existent....