‘But Who’s Running Canada?!’ - Freedom of the Seas March 13 2016 Review

Glad to hear that everyone is enjoying our hijinks. A lot of people prefer to stay home and do quiet, relaxing things in their downtime; me, I work from home and sit at a desk for 10-12 hours a day, so when I go on vacation, we GO GO GO!! I learned the hard way that not everyone is like this on my first cruise, with my cousin; she wanted to stay in the room and read the whole time. I was like, 'Are you freaking KIDDING me?!'

So here we are, Day 3, and our first time in beautiful Labadee, Haiti.

Part 1 - Morning

911e5d74-9eb3-4c65-8cdd-6b5124eb9d74.jpg

We woke up to a slightly overcast morning that cleared up quickly; we grabbed breakfast sandwiches and bolted them down and were off the ship with no wait at all at 9am. We were so early that the island tram wasn’t even running yet! It’s a pretty short walk, so despite Jelly’s complaints that she was going to die we made it to Columbus Cove. Temperature was 86 degrees and the water was beautiful; since we were so early we had no problems getting chairs (although keep in mind, the tide will come in, so don’t put anything under your chair that you don’t want getting wet/floating away if you leave your spot in the afternoon!).

eb9e3858-13a9-40db-bbda-5a6aad75b19e.jpg

a07a3566-5bbd-4d56-9983-22c09234974b.jpg

We decided last minute to book Jelly some time at the Aqua Park. It was $25 for an hour; if you get the ticket on the ship you’ll need to exchange it for a wrist band once you’re at the park. She struggled a bit climbing up a few things, but had help from some of the older kids which was nice, and she still had a lot of fun. Tip: Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to their backs since they’re doing a lot of climbing around; Jelly got a little red on the spot between her rash guard shirt and bathing suit bottoms.

0a66f5b4-9c0c-4485-8ba5-a57954a59854.jpg

After the Aqua Park she decided to check out the Adventure Ocean kids club that was on the island (note, there's no kids club on the ship when you're in port at Labadee). It’s a nice setup with shade for the kids for doing crafts etc., and they did a ‘fossil dig’ activity. The sand is HOT so make sure you and any kidlets are wearing shoes of some sort. I tend to spend most of my time barefoot and regretted going to pick her up without my flipflops. It's not really obvious that it's the kids club, so here's a pic to help you out, taken from the tram.

21043d2a-675c-4f2a-a244-fc5eb8b08630.jpg

Labadee Part 2 - Afternoon

In the afternoon we had the on-island picnic lunch. Our location at Columbus Cove was busy but there was no real lineup, unlike other locations I saw, and we found shaded seats easily. The burgers were largely charcoal briquettes, but the chicken and ribs were decent. There were also rice & black beans, fruit, hot dogs, side salads, and lemonade/water. I think there were cookies or brownies as well but they disappeared quickly; I’m more of a ‘salt’ than a ‘sweet’ so I wasn’t upset.

245ca24b-1b79-4680-8d90-8c1d8b85b665.jpg

We skipped the market since we didn’t see anything too interesting from the tram; there were some high pressure sales tactics when you walked to the bathroom, which was a little annoying but not terrible. What WAS terrible was setting down my drink cup from the ship when I used the bathroom and someone stealing it! Rude! Yes, I should have just left it on the ship, but I liked having a big cup because I have to have at least 400 lbs of ice in anything I drink. Other than, you know, hot drinks. But no worries, they replaced it with no fuss when I was back on board. And it gave me an opportunity to get a Labadoozie in a souvenir cup, which was definitely tasty. Jelly had the non-alcoholic version and agreed.

9c1eef17-03d8-4c51-8e06-bd0a3e00ea5d.jpg

Then we headed back to the ship to rest up and shower before dinner.

74771eb3-aff5-4dc0-9d80-be6dbcc01f1f.jpg

We were back in the MDR that evening for the ‘Pimiento’ menu.

Jelly started with the Strawberry Bisque, which was basically dessert, and I had the caprese salad and five cheese rolls. Yes, you read that correctly, FIVE. Damn, I loved those things. I’m not normally a big bread eater, but those cheese rolls (part of the bread service) were freaking to die for, maybe it was just me. Anyhow, after that I moved on to the Garlic Tiger Shrimp w/rice, asparagus and spinach, and was halfway through it when I thought, “I could easily eat another order of this”; like magic Bryan appeared with an extra order and asked if I wanted it. Was that the perfect waiter or what?! So yes, if you’re keeping track, that’s five cheese rolls AND two entrees. I guess Labadee made me hungry! Just another reminder here to make reservations if you can even if you’re MTD; there were a lot of people lined up waiting to get a table looking annoyed.

7793f56e-17b4-44bf-9ea0-a1934a82d116.jpg

00191757-9b8a-4144-877b-60f8cfc27e0f.jpg

That evening we actually managed to make it to a show, at least part of one; at 8p we headed to the theater to get seats for the illusionist, ‘Now You See It’. It was good, but Jelly lost interest after half an hour, and I was tired and apparently still digesting so I was ok to head back to the room. We were both in bed and asleep before 10p – another fun and exhausting day!

Next up - Day 4, Falmouth Jamaica

Great report! Keep it coming. We have been to Labadee twice and it was a great day both times.

Labadee was one of the things that sold me on rebooking (one of many, many things). People who swear that Castaway Cay is heaven on earth need to check it out - I don't want to start any fights, but it's pretty comparable. And a lot less walking.

Oh those cheese rolls are the best! I got so full on just rolls and the appetizer every night in the MDR, I could hardly eat my entrée. We loved that shrimp dish and liked it better than the lobster on lobster night.

You guys are so cute, really enjoying reading about your trip!

Oh those cheese rolls are the best! I got so full on just rolls and the appetizer every night in the MDR, I could hardly eat my entrée. We loved that shrimp dish and liked it better than the lobster on lobster night.

You guys are so cute, really enjoying reading about your trip!

Thanks! But really, those rolls, ridiculous, right?!

I wish I had one right now. Or seven.

Day 4 brings us to the halfway point. SADNESS! Luckily, the most fun is still ahead...

It took me this long to learn that the fresh-squeezed orange juice, part of my Royal Replenish beverage package, was located just inside the Windjammer and to the left of the bar. So I finally, at long last, got some fresh OJ for breakfast. I also had a cold, rock-hard toasted bagel and some gluey oatmeal, so I was happy I had the juice.

This was the day we had the option to fill a bag with dirty laundry for $30 for the ship Wash & Fold service, which I’m all over. It’s always nice to both a.) Pack less than you think you’ll need and b.) Go home with some clean clothes. We were told everything would be ready some time Friday. Also, I made an MDR reservation for dinner due to my rescheduled Chef’s Table evening.

We arrived on time in port, where it was a sunny 84 degrees.

0745f555-4a03-4b5b-bfa8-b1950c32670f.jpg

Now, I don’t want to be a downer here, but I just plain hate Falmouth. In Jamaica’s defense I have had very limited interactions with it. My problem is this; if I am going to be in port for a pretty short time, I absolutely do not want to be sitting on a bus or a shuttle or in a sketchy taxi or any other mode of transportation for more than about 15-20 minutes. Because then you’re seriously cutting into my ‘have fun’ time, and being jostled around for 45 minutes or more is NOT what I consider fun. This instantly rules out Dunn’s River Falls or Blue Hole or anything else that might be slightly cool to do when arriving in Falmouth. Last year I overpaid to go to a disgusting, overcrowded beach in Montego Bay, where the tiny roped off area was filled with cloudy water and the food was roughly the price of my first car. And about as tasty. So I had put my foot down and said I was under no circumstances even getting off the ship in this port.

Well, I have a 7-year old with a memory like a steel trap who remembered the port market and the carved wood animals I wouldn’t buy her last year, who had been saving her allotted spending money TO GO BUY THOSE DAMN ANIMALS IN FALMOUTH. Le sigh. So off the ship we went, and spent ½ hour in the market, and then we were done and Jelly was happy.

5c8d8f68-3927-4bb1-b91a-5a2281e757e4.jpg

This nicely sums up how I feel about Falmouth. It was technically not as hot as Labadee, but felt like the surface of the sun.

cc9655e2-3980-4a77-bdf4-f6443fe1b4bf.jpg

Attractive, right?

We were back on the ship for lunch and had our only midday meal of the cruise in the Windjammer. It was definitely better than the breakfast; I had some decent noodles and rice, and there was a fresh made-to-order pasta bar that Jelly lost her mind over and ate two heaping bowls of. Kids who stayed on the ship in Adventure Ocean had an option to be taken to lunch so parents could be off riding shuttles to excursions.

After lunch Jelly went to the kids club and I went to my spa appointment. The day prior they had advertised the exact special I’d been hoping for while we were in Falmouth; $109 for a 30 minute massage, 30 minute foot/ankle massage, and 30 minutes facial/scalp massage. My therapist was Renata and she did such a good job that I fell asleep TWICE, which is unheard of. She had some very costly suggestions for me to purchase following the service but was not pushy at all, so it was a non issue. The spa location on Freedom is MUCH better than on Magic; on Magic I believe it was under the sport area or court, and there was a lot of outside noise that could be heard. So once again, Freedom +1.

d505c9c3-b857-4e47-9ce1-1aa6ec5c7bdd.jpg

Jelly and I both enjoyed swimming a few different times throughout the day without it being crowded; the cooler of the two pools was warm this day, not sure if that was on purpose or due to the weather or what. I’m assuming solar heat!

The dinner menu that evening in the MDR was ‘Basil’. We both started with the Chilled Honeydew Soup w/Melon Liquer; Jelly didn’t like it but I thought it was lovely and quite refreshing. I also tried the crab cake, which I normally am not a big fan of but really enjoyed. For mains Jelly got the Chicken Cordon Bleu with rice and a weird chutney; it was a little dry. I got the Braised Beef Duo; the short ribs were just so-so but the shoulder was nummers, the Merlot reduction was tasty, and the Carolina Grits mmmmmmm. I also had a dinner cocktail, the Passion Guava Lava, which I should have been drinking all week.

acc0fa60-a60b-4276-918b-a83825f9e91e.jpg

Next port – Day 5, Grand Cayman

Sorry!

I misunderstood the Thread title "Who's running Canada...

I assumed it was a discussion of the socioeconomic politics as it relates to the Canadian parliamentary structure and vent.

We will just leave that discussion for another time.

Enjoyed the review, however.

Great pics.

I SOOOO Hope they have this special when we are in Costa Maya!! That sounds amazing.

Yeah, this was perfect. Keep in mind it wasn't so much a facial as just a really nice face wash (no steam or extractions etc.), but it all still felt great.

TIP: Schedule something like this early in the trip if you can; you don't want a massage or facial on a sunburn! It's also a nice way to get started relaxing early. By the end of the trip you're pretty relaxed, hopefully :-).

Sorry!

I misunderstood the Thread title "Who's running Canada...

I assumed it was a discussion of the socioeconomic politics as it relates to the Canadian parliamentary structure and vent.

We will just leave that discussion for another time.

Enjoyed the review, however.

Great pics.

LOL thanks.

This is all I have to say about our current political situation...

12809715_996361440410887_4846653803500164413_n.jpg

(isn't he just precious?!)

Yeah, this was perfect. Keep in mind it wasn't so much a facial as just a really nice face wash (no steam or extractions etc.), but it all still felt great.

Exactly my kind of facial, I find nothing relaxing about someone digging into my face LOL

It will be the fourth day of the cruise that I would like to do it, do they advertise the in port specials early in the week?

LOL thanks.

This is all I have to say about our current political situation...

12809715_996361440410887_4846653803500164413_n.jpg

(isn't he just precious?!)

Well I think that sums up the question .... Who's running Canada!

Trumps (pardon the pun) my political discussion.

It will be the fourth day of the cruise that I would like to do it, do they advertise the in port specials early in the week?

No, they just had the upcoming day's specials in the Compass. Maybe you could ask at the Spa and see if they'd tell you?

Day 4 brings us to the halfway point. SADNESS! Luckily, the most fun is still ahead...

It took me this long to learn that the fresh-squeezed orange juice, part of my Royal Replenish beverage package, was located just inside the Windjammer and to the left of the bar. So I finally, at long last, got some fresh OJ for breakfast. I also had a cold, rock-hard toasted bagel and some gluey oatmeal, so I was happy I had the juice.

This was the day we had the option to fill a bag with dirty laundry for $30 for the ship Wash & Fold service, which I’m all over. It’s always nice to both a.) Pack less than you think you’ll need and b.) Go home with some clean clothes. We were told everything would be ready some time Friday. Also, I made an MDR reservation for dinner due to my rescheduled Chef’s Table evening.

We arrived on time in port, where it was a sunny 84 degrees.

0745f555-4a03-4b5b-bfa8-b1950c32670f.jpg

Now, I don’t want to be a downer here, but I just plain hate Falmouth. In Jamaica’s defense I have had very limited interactions with it. My problem is this; if I am going to be in port for a pretty short time, I absolutely do not want to be sitting on a bus or a shuttle or in a sketchy taxi or any other mode of transportation for more than about 15-20 minutes. Because then you’re seriously cutting into my ‘have fun’ time, and being jostled around for 45 minutes or more is NOT what I consider fun. This instantly rules out Dunn’s River Falls or Blue Hole or anything else that might be slightly cool to do when arriving in Falmouth. Last year I overpaid to go to a disgusting, overcrowded beach in Montego Bay, where the tiny roped off area was filled with cloudy water and the food was roughly the price of my first car. And about as tasty. So I had put my foot down and said I was under no circumstances even getting off the ship in this port.

Well, I have a 7-year old with a memory like a steel trap who remembered the port market and the carved wood animals I wouldn’t buy her last year, who had been saving her allotted spending money TO GO BUY THOSE DAMN ANIMALS IN FALMOUTH. Le sigh. So off the ship we went, and spent ½ hour in the market, and then we were done and Jelly was happy.

5c8d8f68-3927-4bb1-b91a-5a2281e757e4.jpg

This nicely sums up how I feel about Falmouth. It was technically not as hot as Labadee, but felt like the surface of the sun.

cc9655e2-3980-4a77-bdf4-f6443fe1b4bf.jpg

Attractive, right?

We were back on the ship for lunch and had our only midday meal of the cruise in the Windjammer. It was definitely better than the breakfast; I had some decent noodles and rice, and there was a fresh made-to-order pasta bar that Jelly lost her mind over and ate two heaping bowls of. Kids who stayed on the ship in Adventure Ocean had an option to be taken to lunch so parents could be off riding shuttles to excursions.

After lunch Jelly went to the kids club and I went to my spa appointment. The day prior they had advertised the exact special I’d been hoping for while we were in Falmouth; $109 for a 30 minute massage, 30 minute foot/ankle massage, and 30 minutes facial/scalp massage. My therapist was Renata and she did such a good job that I fell asleep TWICE, which is unheard of. She had some very costly suggestions for me to purchase following the service but was not pushy at all, so it was a non issue. The spa location on Freedom is MUCH better than on Magic; on Magic I believe it was under the sport area or court, and there was a lot of outside noise that could be heard. So once again, Freedom +1.

d505c9c3-b857-4e47-9ce1-1aa6ec5c7bdd.jpg

Jelly and I both enjoyed swimming a few different times throughout the day without it being crowded; the cooler of the two pools was warm this day, not sure if that was on purpose or due to the weather or what. I’m assuming solar heat!

The dinner menu that evening in the MDR was ‘Basil’. We both started with the Chilled Honeydew Soup w/Melon Liquer; Jelly didn’t like it but I thought it was lovely and quite refreshing. I also tried the crab cake, which I normally am not a big fan of but really enjoyed. For mains Jelly got the Chicken Cordon Bleu with rice and a weird chutney; it was a little dry. I got the Braised Beef Duo; the short ribs were just so-so but the shoulder was nummers, the Merlot reduction was tasty, and the Carolina Grits mmmmmmm. I also had a dinner cocktail, the Passion Guava Lava, which I should have been drinking all week.

acc0fa60-a60b-4276-918b-a83825f9e91e.jpg

Next port – Day 5, Grand Cayman

Totally agree. Told DH that I have had my fill of Jamaica and could care less if we ever visited again.

Love the way you are writing your review!!! I hate reaching the dreaded midpoint of a cruise. It seems to come to an end faster.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great review. Next time you visit Falmouth go to Red Stripe Beach. RCL run a shuttle it's only about 10/15 mins ride and a great relaxing beach. Love it there :)

Thanks for the tip! After being burned by the bad Montego Bay beach break I've been hesitant to try something else. I'll have to check it out, thank you.

You're all very kind, thank you. This is what happens when an English Major ends up as a Software Project Manager; you have someone creatively stifled who just wants a chance to tell a story.

As requested -

We are the proud owners of the following critters. Thank GOD she didn't have to wait one more single day to possess these...

f3f97270-eabb-4153-8437-2b5c7fedb3c8.jpg

At least she got the 'cute kid spending her own money' discount, I taught her how to bargain a little. So I think one was $12 and one was $8.

You're all very kind, thank you. This is what happens when an English Major ends up as a Software Project Manager; you have someone creatively stifled who just wants a chance to tell a story.

As requested -

We are the proud owners of the following critters. Thank GOD she didn't have to wait one more single day to possess these...

f3f97270-eabb-4153-8437-2b5c7fedb3c8.jpg

At least she got the 'cute kid spending her own money' discount, I taught her how to bargain a little. So I think one was $12 and one was $8.

Oh, those are creepy-looking, but I'm sure Jelly loves them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well I think that sums up the question .... Who's running Canada!

Trumps (pardon the pun) my political discussion.

This is a great review, thanks!

Jelly is adorable too.

Regarding your picture of our I must say cute Prime Minister, I am pretty sure (it sure looks like him anyway) the smiling man sitting down was just killed in a plane crash along with his wife, brothers and sisters when they were flying to their fathers funeral. He was a former member of Parliament from Quebec and from what I gather he was a loved politician who seems to have a reputation as a genuine guy. So sad and tragic.

Carry on with your fantastic review.