‘But Who’s Running Canada?!’ - Freedom of the Seas March 13 2016 Review

I just saw your other post, and this is how I feel as well. If I'm going to pay half the money but still have great service, fun things to do, a bigger room with a balcony, good food, and my kid is still going to have a blast - ummmm yeah!

Love the review. My wife and I are on the FOS in a few weeks spoiling our grandkids. They will be 8 and almost 10.

Every thread review that I have read that has been entertaining originated from Canadian cruisers!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No doubt, but Texans by and large have a very strong affinity for their state. :eek:

And don't forget a certain Canadian who wants to be a Texan. ;);)

Edited by John&LaLa

No doubt, but Texans by and large have a very strong affinity for their state. :eek:

And don't forget a certain Canadian who wants to be a Texan. ;);)

Lol... don't get me wrong. I love my Texas. I was thinking more of a combination like texadian [emoji2]

Lol... don't get me wrong. I love my Texas. I was thinking more of a combination like texadian [emoji2]

Okie dokie. There is the Canadian River up in the panhandle.

I appreciate the Texas love, I have lots of friends and family there and am pretty partial to San Marcos and Austin. And Schlitterbahn, of course.

Canadians have to have a sense of humor. I mean, last week I was snorkeling and today I'm scraping snow and freezing rain off my damn car. You have to be able to laugh. And the drinking helps.

I always get all tense about the things I feel like I have to do when I first hit the ship; confirm/reschedule dining reservations, register Jelly for the kids club, check out the room, make sure the luggage arrives safely, attend the Sail Away… and then I realize that those things take, like, 10 minutes, and I calm down. The Sail Away on Freedom was wayyyyyyy less exciting than Magic’s, which was fine with us, because we don’t like too much chaos – we hung out on an upper deck and waved to the Floridians, and then went about our day. We had our bathing suits in our carryons (highly recommend – don’t forget lotion! If you are coming directly from the airport, put some travel-sized stuff in a baggie, you don’t want to burn right out of the gate!), so after checking out the room we got changed and lubed up and hit the pool. The drink of the day was a Bahama Mama, so I got that.

11068d69-3191-4cb8-b9e8-1a89e2792d83.jpg

My Feedback on the Drink Package

Let’s take a few minutes here and talk drink packages. Again, this is a topic covered ad nauseam here so let’s not beat it to death, but as a borderline alcoholic I am going to share my thoughts.

For Jelly, I got the basic package – Royal Refreshment. She got to use the Coke Freestyle machines, so was happy about that, but was supremely ticked off that I got Starbucks and she didn’t. I reminded her she was only 7 and needed to get over it.

31ab625c-0b55-4b5f-afd6-e5d640391e03.jpg

For me, I got the Royal Replenish – This gets you bottled water, Starbucks, and fresh OJ in addition to the soda. I loved this package and it was perfect for me. It took me two days to figure out how to get the juice (hint – it’s usually just to the left of the bar when you walk into the Windjammer), but since the coffee was so abysmal I would usually run down and grab a Frap before breakfast. I’m slightly lactose-intolerant so I could get it with soy, which was nice (no Lactaid milk on this ship, which you could sometimes get on Disney and I really appreciated).

7ff7ea0e-4712-4ba9-a156-cb62a7cef7e6.jpg

The Select alcohol package gets you beer and wine in addition to soda, which wasn’t worth it for me – I am not a beer drinker (I know, I know, I’m Canadian, it’s supposed to be in my blood), and had maybe 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner the whole trip (total, not per night). I would have needed to go with the Premium to get the girl drinks I like to chug, or the Ultimate so that I could still have the juice and SBUX. I think I heard that someone worked it out and you’d have to drink 5.5 drinks/day for it to be a deal. I thought that I would drink that and more, but guess what, I did NOT. What happened was that I did most of my heavy drinking while in port, during our beach breaks (I REALLY took advantage of an all-inclusive). What I found was that I would maybe get a drink of the day while lounging at the pool (for around $8), maybe a cocktail with dinner, and that was it. Keep in mind I wasn’t hanging out drinking in lounges or the pub in the evening, so I really didn’t feel like I needed more to drink at any other times. So in the end I’m glad I didn’t go with the more expensive package. But that’s just me.

Back to the Ship

Ok, so it was Sunday, Day 1 aboard.

e066772c-857c-4fa4-bb78-de7496fc61bc.jpg

I loved that they changed these daily in the elevators. It was hard keeping track of time!

One of the cool things about Freedom and the two main pools; one was cold (very refreshing), and one was warmer. So you could take your pick. I only made it to the adult pool once, and that was plenty for me. You watch everyone drinking for a few hours and not leaving the pool and realize you’re probably safer in the kids pool.

A note I made about lanyards; if you are going to use one for your SeaPass card, they had really cute lanyards for sale in the port terminal and in the Promenade, around $8.95. It was easy peasy getting it punched, I was in line at Guest Services and one of the dudes walked up and asked what I was waiting on, and took it over and did it right away. Jelly and I both carried ours this way for the week.

Other notes I made…

Jelly went to the Kids Club that evening; it was only open 8p-10p for the free session the first day ($7/hr after that for extended hours). She decided it wasn’t as fun as Disney, but still really liked it and asked to go every day.

We caught part of the DreamWorks parade in the Promenade around 5:30p, but missed the 7p showing of Kung Fu Panda 3; I was expecting them to show it more than once, and they did NOT. The other movies were pretty lame and mostly for adults, so we did not see any movies on this cruise; we watched two on the Disney cruise and it was a lot of fun.

16371793-59b0-47a6-884b-981182f8f42a.jpg

We did not make it to the Welcome Aboard show as it was at 10p and we were both in bed by then. The ship picked up Cartoon Network (shows in English, commercials in Spanish), so Jelly was THRILLED; I recently gave up cable so this was possibly half the fun of the trip for her. There was also a channel constantly showing DreamWorks movies, which was great.

We had standing 5:45p reservations in the main dining room (‘MDR’) for the nights when we weren’t doing specialty restaurants; our MDR was ‘Galileo’. We had a two-top table to ourselves, #55; serving team was Ryan and Ben, and they were terrific. That first night for apps I tried the Farrow & Lamb Broth (a little mutton-y for my taste), we both got Caesar salads (pretty standard), and I had the shrimp cocktail (I’d eaten it before they came back with cocktail sauce LOL!). For mains Jelly got the kid’s spaghetti with red sauce and LOVED it, and I got nothing. Seriously, too excited still, and very tired. I did have dessert, the BBB Crème Brulee (Bailey’s/Bananas); it was ok. Jenny had the Chocolate Sensation and fell in love with it; she got this most nights. We met our dinner companions, a mom and her daughter/daughter’s friend from Kansas City, and over the week we had a blast exchanging stories and eventually even sharing food and email addresses.

f3118860-e879-4bbf-a22e-9b56f6aaa97b.jpg

After the kids club (I just wandered the ship a bit) we were back to the room for some Cartoon Network and then lights out by 9:30p

Up next – First Sea Day!

Good catch on the pool temps

We had Hotel Transylvania and Home for the family movies.

Didn't understand the note about dinner companions if you were at a two top.

Seems like we're back on the ship, though

Good catch on the pool temps

We had Hotel Transylvania and Home for the family movies.

Didn't understand the note about dinner companions if you were at a two top.

The tables were VERY close together, so the table immediately next to us felt like they might as well be part of our table. But we all got along smashingly so it was nice.

Love the photos of you and your daughter. I have cruised more with my daughters (now 14 & 19) than my husband. He's not much into cruising. We love it! My problem now is one daughter is in college and complains because she can't always go! She forgets, she did more when she was younger.

I love your review so far! Gets me thinking it's time for another Mother/Daughter Cruise!

Love the photos of you and your daughter. I have cruised more with my daughters (now 14 & 19) than my husband. He's not much into cruising. We love it! My problem now is one daughter is in college and complains because she can't always go! She forgets, she did more when she was younger.

I love your review so far! Gets me thinking it's time for another Mother/Daughter Cruise!

Definitely time for another mother/daughter cruise!

I just howl with laughter when people say that single moms have disadvantaged kids - mine has lost teeth in four different countries :-).

Can't wait to read the rest of your review. Thanks so much for doing it. !

Your daughter looks like she's having a great time and I'm sure you did too!

Yep, today's weather here in SW Ontario is wicked... not what we expect for Easter but gotta remember it's Canada... and we're tough! ;)

Waiting with bated breath for the next installment. You make it sound really relaxed which is great because, TBH I'm stressing about the whole thing. Hubby's paid for it but it's all down to me if it goes sour. I'm waiting to hear about the formal nights? Are they as formal as they sound and does husband (John) need a suit because he doesn't own one. Eek!

Thanks for the review.

Sounds like your cabin is very very close to where we are. I won't put number on public forum but deck 8 starboard just aft of aft elevators is right where we are in a few days.

Waiting with bated breath for the next installment. You make it sound really relaxed which is great because, TBH I'm stressing about the whole thing. Hubby's paid for it but it's all down to me if it goes sour. I'm waiting to hear about the formal nights? Are they as formal as they sound and does husband (John) need a suit because he doesn't own one. Eek!

I'm going to go ahead and answer this one because it's a sore point for me.

When I go on vacation, I want to relax. I don't want to lug a separate suitcase with uncomfortable shoes and gowns and tiaras and corsets, nor do I want to ever blow dry my hair or apply mascara when I'm sunburned and, let's face it, a little bit tipsy.

THIS IS NOT HOW EVERYONE LIKES TO CRUISE. And that's ok. Because it's a big world and we should all love each other.

There are many people who very much enjoy getting dressed up and having pictures taken that they can hang above their fireplaces and bearskin rugs, and that is terrific. I don't feel that being comfortable (clean, naughty parts covered adequately, hair brushed) is such a bad thing, but there are some who are sticklers for the formal nights. This ends up driving people away from the MDR and into sordid spots like Sorrento's, which shouldn't have to happen. I noticed a BIG difference between the Disney ship and RCI in regards to formal nights; on the Magic it was pretty standard to see full-on evening gowns, whereas on Freedom I saw more dress/skirt type looks instead. There were still a few very over-the-top outfits and I love that, I've been known to do a little cosplay in my time and that's cool. As long as sitting beside me in capris and a nice top doesn't make you lose your mind. Which it did NOT, at least not to my face. I had one nice-ish dress that I wore one night to Giovanni's, otherwise I wore slacks/capris. And I did not feel out of place at all. Which is awesome, right?!

You'll find a very nice, welcoming group on Freedom, both among cruisers and staff; no one is going to give you any guff over not having a suit.

Thanks for the review.

Sounds like your cabin is very very close to where we are. I won't put number on public forum but deck 8 starboard just aft of aft elevators is right where we are in a few days.

You'll love it, super-handy.

I thought I'd feel like I was always walking on a bigger ship, but I really didn't. Most things are pretty central, and your room location is in a great spot for moving around.

I am glad you responded to my post because I notice that you are going on the Oasis for a couple of weeks!!! How can I be like you !!!

Eat your Wheaties. ;)

Oasis is our new homeport ship. There is a lot to love about her

I appreciate the Texas love, I have lots of friends and family there and am pretty partial to San Marcos and Austin. And Schlitterbahn, of course.

Canadians have to have a sense of humor. I mean, last week I was snorkeling and today I'm scraping snow and freezing rain off my damn car. You have to be able to laugh. And the drinking helps.

Thanks for the shout out Those are my favorite places as well.

You watch everyone drinking for a few hours and not leaving the pool and realize you’re probably safer in the kids pool.

Amen to that!!!