Nikon D90 user just bought mirror less

electro

I have an Nikon D90 and a D5100 with a few lenses, wide angle and zoom.

I love my D90!

I just bought a Sony a5000 kit with 16 - 50 and a 55 - 210 lens.

Sometimes I just don't want to carry the weight and size of the DSLR.

Has anyone gone for a large DLSR to the sony mirrorless?

What do you think?

I think I will have a hard time getting use to not using a view finder, especially in bright light.

Lois

Edited by electro

You could have gone to the a6000 to get a viewfinder.

My premium camera is the Nikon d750 with some pretty large lenses.

But I've started carrying the a6300 with some primes when I want something smaller.

And for sports and wildlife, I'll consider the a6300 (with 70-200/4) over the dslr.

You could have gone to the a6000 to get a viewfinder.

My premium camera is the Nikon d750 with some pretty large lenses.

But I've started carrying the a6300 with some primes when I want something smaller.

And for sports and wildlife, I'll consider the a6300 (with 70-200/4) over the dslr.

I got a super good deal on the a5000 kit. camera, 16-50 and 55-210, 16 g class 10 sd card and case for 599 all in, no tax.

I didn't want to spend the extra money to go up to the a6000.

I got a super good deal on the a5000 kit. camera, 16-50 and 55-210, 16 g class 10 sd card and case for 599 all in, no tax.

You have the A5000 and the two (better than average) kit lenses. The A5000 is a very capable camera and you will enjoy the qhality of the photos frome it. However, the A6000 body only is occasionally on sale for around $450 ($499 normally). If you tire of the lack of viewfinder....:)

BTW, the A6000 might have been worth the bump in price. There are reasons that it's the highest selling interchangeable lens camera ever.

There's a whole thread devoted to it here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2215195

Dave

Actually I got the A6000 and 55-210 for about $525 (I skipped the 16-50), but I doubt used and refurbished. (camera used, lens refurb)

Currently, you can get the A6000 with 18-55 and 55-210, refurbished, for $699. (It was actually cheaper a couple of months ago). The cheapest package I see for the 16-50 and 55-210 is currently $730 -- open box from Best Buy.

It's all subjective, how much more money something may be worth. The A6000 has better more dslr-like controls than the A5000, has a very good EVF, and has a more advanced autofocus system than the A5000. So personally, in my book, it's well worth $130 more.

Honestly, I'm surprised you couldn't find the A5000 cheaper.. they were selling it dirt cheap around the holidays. ($400 with 16-50 lens during the holidays, and $550 with both lenses).

I think I will have a hard time getting use to not using a view finder, especially in bright light.

Lois

Lois:

I had a NEX5 - a great camera, ny the way, but I also preferred a viewfinder.

You probably can find an Sony optidcal viewfinder - or better yet, an electronic one (which I had) - for your NEX5 for around $125 on e-Bay. Fits over the shoe,

I eventually switched to the A6000 but with the silent shutter mentioned by Dave and the reviews by Havok315, Tom and the others, I'm sorely tempted to sell one of my A6000 for the A6300 - but mostly for the silent shutter, Otherwise the A6000 fits most of my wants in a camera..

Incidentally, I was a Nikon DSLR user for years.

Today I finally made up my mind and bought an Sony A7 ii with the 28-70mm kit lens. I was also looking at the a6300, but I have trouble holding the camera steady and liked the built-in-camera stabilization, plus the full frame of the A7 ii. Now don't know what to do on the wide angle side of the equation. Any ideas / advice? Just went online and bought batteries and SD cards. More $$ :eek:

Today I finally made up my mind and bought an Sony A7 ii with the 28-70mm kit lens. I was also looking at the a6300, but I have trouble holding the camera steady and liked the built-in-camera stabilization, plus the full frame of the A7 ii. Now don't know what to do on the wide angle side of the equation. Any ideas / advice? Just went online and bought batteries and SD cards. More $$ :eek:

The best bang for the buck in full-frame wide angle for the e-mount is the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm f/2.8. Even though it is completely manual, focusing is very easy with magnification assist and focus peaking on the Sony mirrorless cameras. (I use a Rokinon 12mm f/2.0 for APS-C on my A6000 and am a impressed with the quality.) SLRGear.com shows it to be nearly equal to the $2000 offerings from Nikon and Canon, so at $330 or so, it is an amazing bargain.

Dave

The best bang for the buck in full-frame wide angle for the e-mount is the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm f/2.8. Even though it is completely manual, focusing is very easy with magnification assist and focus peaking on the Sony mirrorless cameras. (I use a Rokinon 12mm f/2.0 for APS-C on my A6000 and am a impressed with the quality.) SLRGear.com shows it to be nearly equal to the $2000 offerings from Nikon and Canon, so at $330 or so, it is an amazing bargain.

Dave

I have the Nikon mount Rokinon 14mm --- It is very good. Because it is ultrawide angle, manual focus is pretty easy. It is ultrasharp. Distortion is really bad, but that comes with being 14mm.

If you want full AF and zoom, your best option is the FE 16-35/4, which reviews very well. If you want to go cheaper, I've heard that the E-mount 10-18 actually works pretty well on the A7ii. It is an APS-C lens, not designed for full frame. But apparently, when used around the 13-16mm range, the vignetting isn't that bad and you can get good results.

Here are just a few of the reviews of using the 10-18 on the A7 series:

http://briansmith.com/sony-a7r-10-18-e-mount-lens/

http://heathsmithphotography.com/review-of-sony-10-18mm-f4-oss-e-mount-lens-on-sony-a7r/

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/sony-10-18mm-lens-review/

Thanks guys - I knew I could count on you! Now, I have more to research. Last night I ended up buying "accessories" like extra batteries, chargers, polarizing filter, and big (128) SD cards from B&H - ended up spending way more than I intended. Could have probably bought a lens. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions - i'll check them out.

I fondly remember the old days with my Leica M3. Didn't use the light meter, just used the film exposure recommendations, something like 125th of a second at f8 for 'cloudy bright' or some such.

With the 50mm f2 main lens, my feet were the zoom.

Been there, done that...I like now better! :)

(I will admit to a slight nostalgic tingle when I use a manual lens...)

Dave