Grandieur for Mothers Day

sammee

Finally booked for May 7 5 days to Bermuda. We've gone on the Pride out of Baltimore, close drive so now it's time for Royal.

I have a few questions since I haven't on Royal since 2007.

Booked an OV on deck 3. How are the room temps? I'm one that prefers it cooler for sleeping.

Is there anything I need to know on embarking, can I just be there at 10:00 or are they divvying out the times.

Do they serve lobster for the 5 nighter or can I order it if I decided I had to have it?

And the drink packages. Do we have to buy for both of us in the room, or just one? My drinking has gone way down, so I'm deciding if it would be just cheaper to buy as I go along.

I'm sure everything else is similar to Carnival.

Finally booked for May 7 5 days to Bermuda. We've gone on the Pride out of Baltimore, close drive so now it's time for Royal.

I have a few questions since I haven't on Royal since 2007.

Booked an OV on deck 3. How are the room temps? I'm one that prefers it cooler for sleeping.

Is there anything I need to know on embarking, can I just be there at 10:00 or are they divvying out the times.

Do they serve lobster for the 5 nighter or can I order it if I decided I had to have it?

And the drink packages. Do we have to buy for both of us in the room, or just one? My drinking has gone way down, so I'm deciding if it would be just cheaper to buy as I go along.

I'm sure everything else is similar to Carnival.

I know there's no guarantee about temperature.

14 months ago, we were in a deck 2 OV forward. It was warm for our standards.

2 months ago, we were in a deck 3 OV mid. It was quite cool, just as we liked it.

Don't know about lobster or drink package.

After 6 cruises out of Baltimore split between Carnival and RCI, we have a new approach to boarding. I believe it is still first come first served. Grandeur returns earlier than Pride so they are often ready to board sooner than Pride. It's a 2+ hour drive for us. Last Grandeur cruise, we arrived at about 1:45 and basically just walked on and rooms were ready. We dropped off our liquid carry on's and went to Windjammer for late lunch. It will be our only way to go from now on out of Baltimore.

You'll have to get used to going forward on the ship to get to Windjammer/Lido buffet. It's the only class of ships I've ever been on that has that configuration.

Wine policy is the same; one bottle each person. However, since it is the same security scanners for both lines, they tend to follow the Carnival carry-on beverage policy - one 12 pack of canned soda.

We have enjoyed our Pride cruises and our Grandeur/Enchantment cruises, but there are differences.

Enjoy the cruise.

We're not going to bother bring any wine onboard. Not big on it, but I do like a glass at dinnertime.

I don't think finding my way on Lido will be bad. We survived Carnival Fascination and Fantasy will all their zigzagging to get from point a to be. I swear somebody had a sense of humor designing them.

To answer your question about lobster, Royal normally serves the "free" lobster on cruises of at least 5 nights based out of the US, so unless this policy has changed, you should get lobster in the main dining room on one night. This is a small, warm water lobster tail.

In addition to the free lobster, you can pay extra and get a whole Maine lobster any night in the Main Dining Room. I'm not sure of the cost, but I think it's around $30 now.

Edited by clarea

We have been on Granduer 3 times.

Temp control was no problem in room. Be patient when changing temp. It takes awhile to adjust room temp.

On our latest trip we arrived at port at 1PM. No lines or waiting parking or boarding. In the past we got there earlier and had some wait.

We have not been on a 5 day for lobster however we went to Giovanni's and had a wonderful surf and turf dinner. Complimentary Champagne. Worth the price.

Drinks are $10 I had a double Grey Goose it was $22 with 18% gratuity included in that price. I have not had beer or wine. Just do the math.