Honolulu at night?

ottmar

We are on the Ruby Princess leaving this week and will be in Honolulu on the 29th from morning until 11PM. We are taking a North Shore tour that ends early afternoon at the ship. I don't know how far the dock is from downtown or what to do in the evening. Any suggestions?

We are on the Ruby Princess leaving this week and will be in Honolulu on the 29th from morning until 11PM. We are taking a North Shore tour that ends early afternoon at the ship. I don't know how far the dock is from downtown or what to do in the evening. Any suggestions?

We aren't big on going out after dark at a port in an unfamiliar city, but that is just us. How about staying aboard and enjoying a leisurely dinner, show and nightcap??

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

I really liked the shopping at the Aloha Tower little shops, which were right next to my ship's berth. Also, you could maybe find a luau that can get you back to the ship on time. Luaus are great! Worst case, take a cab back if you go to one downtown. I would like to go to Germaine's luau on my coming cruise, but husband is afraid of getting back on time. I actually think it will be ok. You could check with them about their transportation. The ones further out pick you up in a bus.

"Downtown" isn't where you want to be, Waikiki is. Take a cab or Uber to Waikiki, walk around, do cocktails at the House Without a Key, have dinner someplace nice (Orchids, Hula Grill, Azure, etc) and return to the ship via cab or Uber.

While we have walked from the port over to Waikiki in the daytime it is a long walk and I wouldn't do it at night. You can take a taxi over there. It is nice for hotels and beaches and stores and restaurants.

There are certainly closer places to the port.

Or you can just stroll around the port as there are many small shops there that will be open in the evening.

Keith

Waikiki is so nice at night. Take a taxi or uber. Enjoy drinks and music at the beautiful locations on the beach, enjoy dinner or appetizers, and walk along Waikiki beach with your feet in the surf. Evening is a beautiful time on Waikiki beach. Well worth the price of a taxi/uber. JMO Cherie

Aloha,

There isn't much at all to do in Downtown Honolulu at night (i.e. our business district). Not much shopping or entertainment like other cities would have. Aloha Tower/Hawaii Pacific University, which should be near whichever dock you're at. We have three drinking establishments there (Hooters, Gordon Biersch, and Nashville's that just opened recently) if you want to stay near the port. I've been to all three and they have good service. GB has outside seating with great views of the harbor and tower. I would recommend you avoid the Fort Street area of downtown.

As others have mentioned, Waikiki is a short drive away. Gotta give Keith credit...would never want to walk that far in the day or night. Lots of nightlife entertainment if you're into that. You may want to check the Hawaii Theatre Center or Blaisdell Center for any shows or concerts that may be happening that you might want to see. Some good restaurants in Kakaako that you may want to check out (Chef Chai and Doraku are my favorites). Hope you have an excellent vacation! :)

I really liked the shopping at the Aloha Tower little shops, which were right next to my ship's berth. Also, you could maybe find a luau that can get you back to the ship on time. Luaus are great! Worst case, take a cab back if you go to one downtown. I would like to go to Germaine's luau on my coming cruise, but husband is afraid of getting back on time. I actually think it will be ok. You could check with them about their transportation. The ones further out pick you up in a bus.

We sailed to Honolulu in November and the Aloha Tower shops are CLOSED! I think that the building is all offices now :(

You'll need to find something else...we just stayed on the ship!

We sailed to Honolulu in November and the Aloha Tower shops are CLOSED! I think that the building is all offices now :(

You'll need to find something else...we just stayed on the ship!

The Aloha Marketplace is undergoing a transformation.

It was bought by Hawaii Pacific University. The second level has been turned into loft space for student housing and the ground level is going to be retail, dining and entertainment.

http://www.alohatower.com/#live

Update on Aloha Tower:

Hawaii Pacific University has use control over the Aloha Tower Marketplace. We developed it into a mixed student dorm and learning space/retail space. There are still three restaurants/drinking establishments open and Palama Market just opened a few weeks ago (a place to get snacks/water/etc near the pier...a local version of 7/11).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have just booked the Germaine's Luau and the schedule given is from 6pm-8:45pm. If you are not coming by hotel pick-up beforehand, it says you have to be at the venue at 6pm. So you should have enought time to get back to the ship by 10:30pm.:)