Is there significant wind on balconies on bump out sections?

kingsgirl

No more or less than any other side balcony; it all depends on wind speed and direction and the direction and speed of the ship.

The balconies do not stick out that much. It's a foot or two, and that's not going to make much of a difference when you consider the size of the ship and the direction of the wind. I think maybe you are over-thinking the balcony issues. ;)

That would depend on the weather and speed of the ship... Since you're going to Alaska, you should be fine as we've already told you in previous threads.

I asked on a thread about something different and no one was responding at the time so I started a new thread. What is with your attitude? If you don't like my questions then don't answer. No need to be rude.

I asked on a thread about something different and no one was responding at the time so I started a new thread. What is with your attitude? If you don't like my questions then don't answer. No need to be rude.

Unfortunately, there are people who just can't help themselves from being snarky.

Edited by lovevacadays

No more or less than any other side balcony; it all depends on wind speed and direction and the direction and speed of the ship.

The balconies do not stick out that much. It's a foot or two, and that's not going to make much of a difference when you consider the size of the ship and the direction of the wind. I think maybe you are over-thinking the balcony issues. ;)

No..there is always wind when you stand at the rail....otherwise, not so much!

Thank you for your replies. I'm shouldered with the responsibility for this trip and I just don't want to make a mistake I could have avoided by asking more seasoned cruisers. Thanks again.

If you think that was rude or snarky, you should ser the responses on your other thread, the one about creating s tarp cover for your uncovered balcony... Now, that's snarky!

The odds are you'll have great weather for most, if not all, of your cruise.

The bump-out cabins that fully face the ocean will have some wind while the ship is cruising along at 20 or so knots, especially if you are standing at the railing.

The bump-out cabins that are on the corner of the bump-out and curve around so that part of the balcony faces forward will be even more windy, and may not be very comfortable to sit out on while the ship is in the open ocean. We were in the cabin next to the corner one, and the folks in the corner cabin could not use their balcony a lot of the time because of the wind.

So I would recommend that you do not choose one on the forward corner of the bump-out.

We had the front corner bump out on the Island (same design). There is definitely a bit more wind while in motion at sea but we could still sit outside if we wanted, might be a bit chillier in Alaska. The tradeoff for the view was SO worth it however, it would be awesome in Glacier Bay. The corner balconies are also a bit smaller and would be crowded for more than 2.

It depends....cruise and the weather, we were on a Mexican Rivera cruise, ship was in motion and my DH shot some of the coolest photos at sunset of myself and my 3 sons in our formal wear and my long hair it blowing in my sons faces...these r some classic shots it was about 5 years ago when "I am having a bad hair day", was the "new saying" our sons shared a regular balcony and we had the dead center bump out definitely more wind from our location when it was windy, than theirs. So you can make great memories even if it is windy.

Edited by land lover

We had a bump-out that was on the corner of the bump-out and curved around so that part of the balcony faced aft. We did not notice any significant difference in wind on our balcony that I recall. It think if you choose that location the bump-out balconies that are toward the front of the ship protect you from the wind to a certain extent.