SHOCKING! Another price jump

MTN provides less than a fifth of the speed of 03B and the latency is higher. It's better than Inmarsat-B of course, but saying it matches O3B backhauls is incorrect.

But more importantly, the newer speeds need to be deployed fleetwide. Like yesterday.

Not everyone likes the big ships as well. ;)

At what cost? Should this fleetwide implementation be considered a "standard" fixed asset improvement expenditure amortized over every cruiser's fare or should its cost recovery be made by actual user fees?

If more and more people need to be connected, I would expect that they can (and should) pay for it. It's like any other optional amenity associated with cruising. If the cost is "crazy high", hard choices need to be made.

They will milk the customer as long as market permits. But something has to give. Internet bandwidth requirements increase 50% annually per Jakob Nielsen. On land, the perk of wifi at the coffee shop is losing relevancy now with LTE and cheaper data (generally).

Of course one does not have a choice when out of reach of terrestrial cell sites.

The folks that could not care less aren't going to be around forever. Times are changin' as they say. ;)

At what cost? Should this fleetwide implementation be considered a "standard" fixed asset improvement expenditure amortized over every cruiser's fare or should its cost recovery be made by actual user fees?

If more and more people need to be connected, I would expect that they can (and should) pay for it. It's like any other optional amenity associated with cruising. If the cost is "crazy high", hard choices need to be made.

Since you clearly haven't read the thread throughly (don't worry, nobody here seems to nowadays), let me quote my post from this thread yesterday:

RCI's latest internet services on newest ships are:

a) a LOT faster than NCL's (except for Breakaway)

and

b) a LOT cheaper to use.

I doubt that one could say that they are not "in business to make money", they actually are expanding VOOM services to older ships too and that must mean that they are making more money than before investments to new, faster satellite hardware and connection.

If Royal can upgrade to state of the art connection and reduce prices significantly, NCL could too. Unfortunately FDR's vision with NCL only includes raising prices without improving the customer experience - we are (were) a captive audience, y'know.

Since you clearly haven't read the thread throughly (don't worry, nobody here seems to nowadays), let me quote my post from this thread yesterday:

If Royal can upgrade to state of the art connection and reduce prices significantly, NCL could too. Unfortunately FDR's vision with NCL only includes raising prices without improving the customer experience - we are (were) a captive audience, y'know.

I did read the thread thoroughly. The key to my individual perspective was the phrase "RCI's latest internet services on newest ships..."

There would be a cost involved in retrofitting an entire fleet to the newest technology and that is where my curiosity lies in cost recovery methodology of such an upgrade.

RCI may be recognizing the advantage of rolling out an improved service to older ships. NCL may not yet be doing so. Hence my observation that a hard choice may need to be made.

You are only a captive audience if you allow yourself to be.

I did read the thread thoroughly. The key to my individual perspective was the phrase "RCI's latest internet services on newest ships..."

There would be a cost involved in retrofitting an entire fleet to the newest technology and that is where my curiosity lies in cost recovery methodology of such an upgrade.

RCI may be recognizing the advantage of rolling out an improved service to older ships. NCL may not yet be doing so. Hence my observation that a hard choice may need to be made.

You are only a captive audience if you allow yourself to be.

Very well said.