Port Royal golf questions

ChuX

So headed to Bermuda in June on the Breakaway. And I plan to play golf at Port Royal. My main question is to rent clubs or to bring my own. Im a 5 handicapper so im worried that they will only have some beat up old clubs made for someone of a lessor skill level. And I would hate to have a bad experience because of inferior equipment. Does any one know what they offer as rentals? Or has anyone brought thier own to play. If so how did that go? We are flying to NY a couple days early before we to get on the ship. So I would be lugging my sticks the whole trip. Just trying to justify the hassle of bringing them with. Port Royal is the only course im interested in playing. So my questions are geared towards that club. I know the ship offers an excursion but it looks like the only option with them is the bu** crack of dawn at 7:15 in the morning(im not a dew sweeper.) But Golfnow has a couple tee times around lunch. Any advantage to booking with the cruise ship over doing it myself? Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

I have a friend who always does Port Royal. He brings his own clubs but he drives to the port. He does an early Tee time. He finds fellow golfers on the Cruise Critic roll call of the sailing to share a cab. If you bring your own clubs and go on your own you will have to take a taxi to the course.

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks Charles. I appreciate the input. I have read else ware that you cannot take your clubs on the buses. And that the cruise line provided transportation if you go thru them. I tried calling the course this morning to find out about their rentals but was placed on hold for a while. And after ten minutes i gave up hoping i might get some feedback here. Will call them again this afternoon when they might not be as busy.

Thanks Charles. I appreciate the input. I have read else ware that you cannot take your clubs on the buses. And that the cruise line provided transportation if you go thru them. I tried calling the course this morning to find out about their rentals but was placed on hold for a while. And after ten minutes i gave up hoping i might get some feedback here. Will call them again this afternoon when they might not be as busy.

I will queried my friend to see if he knows anything about their rentals. He said to call the club which you have tried.

Edited by Charles4515

I played in a tournament there last year and most of the players rented clubs. The ones I saw were Taylor made, I am not sure what model irons, but the guys playing with us had the M1 drivers. The sets were new looking and the guys playing in my group were pleased with them. One of the guys with us claimed to be a 2 handicap. It cost them $50 for the rental.

My husband and I are on the May 29th sailing of the Breakaway. He's playing Port Royal and made a tee time directly with the golf course. He was debating on renting or bringing his clubs, but in the end has decided to rent. Skeeter196 is correct about the Taylor made clubs. The pro shop said they are fairly new. We're flying Delta, so it would have cost my husband the same amount to take his clubs or rent. We figured it would be so much easier to rent and not have to deal with lugging around the clubs through NY.

Hope you have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got thru yesterday. TaylorMade is correct. I was assured that there would be quality clubs available that would meet my needs. Im also a little on the tall side so I need clubs a half inch longer. Right now feeling better about going with what they have. After all im on vacation and dragging clubs along would probably be an unnecessary burden. Thank for all of the comments/suggestions. I appreciate the input.

• 2 months later...
I got thru yesterday. TaylorMade is correct. I was assured that there would be quality clubs available that would meet my needs. Im also a little on the tall side so I need clubs a half inch longer. Right now feeling better about going with what they have. After all im on vacation and dragging clubs along would probably be an unnecessary burden. Thank for all of the comments/suggestions. I appreciate the input.

What day are you playing and did you book the $150 special directly through the course? I have a Thursday morning 8:50 tee time for me and my brother-in-law. We are renting clubs too but I just remembered that he's a lefty.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to make a tee time for my dd's boyfriend at Port Royal through golfnow however I would like my dd to go and pay a fee to ride with him. Can this be done through golfnow or do I have to directly through Port Royal. I also do not see where on golfnow I can request to rent clubs or does this have to be done once you arrive at the course?

Thank you all so much!

I am going to make a tee time for my dd's boyfriend at Port Royal through golfnow however I would like my dd to go and pay a fee to ride with him. Can this be done through golfnow or do I have to directly through Port Royal. I also do not see where on golfnow I can request to rent clubs or does this have to be done once you arrive at the course?

Thank you all so much!

Call Port Royal.

Thank you all so much!

Contact Port Royal first. It may be cheaper going directly through them for the tee time. I looked at both ways and ended up booking directly through Port Royal because they had a $150 special for cruise golfers, which included rental and fees. Going through GolfNow and renting was going to run about $20 or $30 more for the tee time we booked.

Call Port Royal.

Thank you very much! I just e-mailed them.

Contact Port Royal first. It may be cheaper going directly through them for the tee time. I looked at both ways and ended up booking directly through Port Royal because they had a $150 special for cruise golfers, which included rental and fees. Going through GolfNow and renting was going to run about $20 or $30 more for the tee time we booked.

Thanks so much! I just e-mailed them and they sent me rates but then asked me if I was a cruise passenger since they said they had different rates. I just sent back an e-mail informing them I am a cruise passenger so I will wait and see.

Thank you again.