Search of aft balcony info says soot is an issue...?

Sablerose

I won't have white pants (I'd look like the michelin man) but might have khakis, which will be the same

OMG Rose...this made me laugh. I've said that about myself! LOL :D

To add to the Legend Soot Saga.....

We were in the Adults Only pool at the aft...when a bunch of that "soot" came flying down. It was like black snow!! We were sitting around the pool...and we looked in the water...black stuff everywhere!!! We freaked out before we realized what it actually was! LOL They ended up draining the whole pool and refilling it (after extensive cleaning, of course) and had to clean all the deck chairs, etc. I had black flecks on my suit and towel...but, eh...I had a couple beers still left in my bucket, so I didn't care. :) And...obviously it didn't change my opinion of the Legend either... :cool:

It kind of depends on if you want to see where you're going or where you've been. On the Destiny class ships the back end of the ship slopes up and backwards, so someone on a balcony can pretty much look down on the balcony directly below him. It that doesn't bother you, OK. I've never had an aft balcony, but I think I prefer the side ones. You can look forward then.

Oh great...I booked cabin 6375 (aft balcony) for my Destiny cruise this June..now I am having 2nd thoughts about the aft balcony.

We had an aft balcony on the Pride. Right under the lido deck...if there was ash we didn't notice it and as for the noise the only real time we heard anything was when a pax was airlifted off at 4am one morning and even then it wasn't that bad! Rosie...if you get an aft and stay a "Stewed Prune" for the whole cruise, you won't notice ash OR helicopters hovering over your room!!:p

Stay away from aft balcs There is so much SOOT you need a dozer twice a day to push it all overboard. That stuff is greasy and gets on everything[of value]. Also the deck HEAVES up and down and up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down. Also the engines vibration is enough to shake your eyeballs right out of your head. And you get so much salt on your balc that it will rust your Rolex. Aft balcs are just terrible and there are so few of them that they get booked up immediately so that I can hardly ever get one. I volunteer to stay in the horrible, horrible aft balconies so that my fellow cruisers don't have to put up with the horror of the aft balc. But there are toooo many volunteers for me to get to save my fellow pax. Also the balconys are way too big back there.

Dan

THANK YOU!!!! I needed a good laugh!

This isn't totally relevant to the balcony question but we have been on the aft pool of the Fantasy and Elation and there was some amount of soot falling on the chairs, deck, your clothes (if they laid exposed). Maybe they just hadn't scrubbed the funnels recently, don't know. But I would suspect (as most posters have noted) the soot problem on aft balconies would be minimal.

Unless we get some kind of magic room move at this point, the question is pretty much moot for us, but I'm still gathering all the info! We might shoot for an aft balcony on the next cruise.

Whoo, what we wouldn't do for one of those 9a's, though. Yikes!

We had an aft balcony on the Spirit, deck 6 a couple of cruises ago and we had some ash, but the bigger problem we had was an inconsiderate jerk 2 decks above us chewed tobacco and would spit it off the back and it landed on our balcony and the people on either side of us.:mad: We woke up to the mess every morning for the first few days.:eek: I felt so bad for our steward having to clean the mess every day. We complained to the pursers desk after we figured out which cabin it was coming from (we could tell by the juice stains from below his balcony to ours) they called the cabin in question and put a stop to it. :D The guys partner was a smoker and she would flip the butts off so we all had a few of those too!:( All the cabins around us complained so the desk had to take action. They did and it stopped, thankfully. Even with that problem we still enjoyed the aft balcony! We have a 9A wraparound on our upcoming Victory cruise.:)

Linda

We had an aft balcony on the Spirit, deck 6 a couple of cruises ago and we had some ash, but the bigger problem we had was an inconsiderate jerk 2 decks above us chewed tobacco and would spit it off the back and it landed on our balcony and the people on either side of us.:mad: We woke up to the mess every morning for the first few days.:eek: I felt so bad for our steward having to clean the mess every day. We complained to the pursers desk after we figured out which cabin it was coming from (we could tell by the juice stains from below his balcony to ours) they called the cabin in question and put a stop to it. :D The guys partner was a smoker and she would flip the butts off so we all had a few of those too!:( All the cabins around us complained so the desk had to take action. They did and it stopped, thankfully. Even with that problem we still enjoyed the aft balcony! We have a 9A wraparound on our upcoming Victory cruise.:)

Linda

OMG.... how can anyone be so obtuse and inconsiderate? Where did they think their spit and cigarette butts were going?

It was pretty disgusting! It took until about Wednesday until they finally got the guy to quit doing it. I doubt he even thought about where it was going. He may have had a few too many and couldn't comprehend the process. It was always on the balcony in the morning so I figure they came in after partying all night spent time on their balcony and were too drunk to pay attention to what they were doing or the problem it would cause.

Linda

Good morning!! Four of us were on the Spirit in 2002 and yes there was a little issue with ash, but nothing that rivaled the awesome views from the back of the ship!!! Don't let it be a concern, just enjoy your cruise!!!

We are booked on the Glory April 15, 2006, cabin 6386, does anyone have any information on this cabin with balcony? In reference to the ship, where is it located? This is my first cruise with Carnival, usually we cruise NCL, and once on Disney, and this is my first cruise with a balcony. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

We are booked on the Glory April 15, 2006, cabin 6386, does anyone have any information on this cabin with balcony? In reference to the ship, where is it located? This is my first cruise with Carnival, usually we cruise NCL, and once on Disney, and this is my first cruise with a balcony. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!
It looks like a balcony cabin on the port (left) side of the ship on the Upper Deck. Here are the deck plans that show your cabin:

http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=GL&deckCode=6

This link will take you to deck plans for the rest of the ship:

http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plans.aspx?shipCode=GL

John

We didn't have a soot problem (Miracle 10-2/10-9) We were on the aft deck in 6331....however we did find that there was not much of a breeze with that particular stateroom balcony. The view was gorgeous though and if you wanted to sit out there and watch the sunset...you could.

I am probably one of those mean old rotten, negative people that "mentioned" the ash/soot problem on our Conquest cruise. Shame on me for mentioning it. But seriously. It was there. Was it a big deal? No. Just wipe things down and enjoy your aft cabin and balcony - we did. Only thing that landed on our balcony was a banana peel - yikes!!!!

Archived