Has anyone ever?

Sccrkeepr

Hi all!

i had a crazy idea - wondering if anyone has done this before or if it's even allowed.

Im on ovation april 21st cruise - we dock in Le Havre on the 27th in port till 9pm and then head to Cherbourg, where we are in port from 7 till 6 pm.

My question - ever met anyone who disembarked in Le Havre and then didnt get back on till the next day in Cherbourg. I want to rent a car and see a few places but dont want to be pressed for time, so staying in a hotel over night is not a big deal, just dont want to do it and then not be allowed back on the ship.

feel free to call me, as my 4yo daughter does"Nutty Bananas, mamma".

The concept of staying overnight ashore and re-boarding at another port has occurred many times, and discussed here occasionally.

You need to get clearance, in advance and in writing, from the cruise line. Take the written approval aboard with you, and notify the ship so they aren't looking for you when they sail from Le Harve. They will let you back on the ship in Cherbourg.

Of course, if something goes wrong- the ship can't dock in Cherbourg, for example, you are responsible for your costs to get to the next port to re-board.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The concept of staying overnight ashore and re-boarding at another port has occurred many times, and discussed here occasionally.

You need to get clearance, in advance and in writing, from the cruise line. Take the written approval aboard with you, and notify the ship so they aren't looking for you when they sail from Le Harve. They will let you back on the ship in Cherbourg.

Of course, if something goes wrong- the ship can't dock in Cherbourg, for example, you are responsible for your costs to get to the next port to re-board.

thank you! I will contact RCI - i wasnt quite sure how to frame the question. if we didnt get back on, it would be a short trip back to southampton to collect out belongings...:)

Hi,

The big worry with re-joining a ship at the next port is what happens if the ship has to cancel that next port :eek:

But your response to Bruce is that the next (last) port is Southampton, and Southampton is easy from Cherbourg :)

http://www.brittanyferries.com/ hi-speed ferry Cherbourg to Portsmouth International Port at 5pm, then a http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx direct bus from there to Southampton coach station, just a fifteen minute walk from Ovation's berth at City Cruise Terminal.

Or if you're too late for that sailing, there's a traditional ferry Cherbourg to Poole at 6.30pm, then direct train to Southampton Central station, near the coach station.

Do bear in mind that you'll need your passports for a ferry crossing.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Hi,

The big worry with re-joining a ship at the next port is what happens if the ship has to cancel that next port :eek:

But your response to Bruce is that the next (last) port is Southampton, and Southampton is easy from Cherbourg :)

http://www.brittanyferries.com/ hi-speed ferry Cherbourg to Portsmouth International Port at 5pm, then a http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx direct bus from there to Southampton coach station, just a fifteen minute walk from Ovation's berth at City Cruise Terminal.

Or if you're too late for that sailing, there's a traditional ferry Cherbourg to Poole at 6.30pm, then direct train to Southampton Central station, near the coach station.

Do bear in mind that you'll need your passports for a ferry crossing.

thank you JB - I've been on many cruises, but never came across anyone who willingly missed the boat -

Plenty of people who missed the boat in mexico, mostly caused by the "revenge" or the tequila, but not willingly.:D

thank you JB - I've been on many cruises, but never came across anyone who willingly missed the boat -

Plenty of people who missed the boat in mexico, mostly caused by the "revenge" or the tequila, but not willingly.:D

Your time-scale in Normandy means that only well-matured Camembert or farmyard Calvados will make you miss the boat :D

But the concern is if the ship doesn't make it to Cherbourg - weather, mechanical gremlins, & such.

Very unlikely but possible, and that would mean major grief if the next port were somewhere like Miami.

But a Plan B from Cherbourg to Southampton isn't too onerous. :)

Edited by John Bull

Your time-scale in Normandy means that only well-matured Camembert or farmyard Calvados will make you miss the boat

But the concern is if the ship doesn't make it to Cherbourg - weather, mechanical gremlins, & such.

Very unlikely but possible, and that would mean major grief if the next port were somewhere like Miami.

But a Plan B from Cherbourg to Southampton isn't too onerous.

JB

how did you guess????

Of course, i would never consider it if the final ports were not so close. Im still considering, Ill call RCI tomorrow and see what they say. But, i do appreciate you responding!

Edited by Sccrkeepr

This is done often but CruiserBruce is right you need to get approval and in writing.

Assuming it is a go then sometime after you get settled on the ship go to the front desk and be sure they are aware of this.

You will need to take your passport with you and they will likely ask you for your contact information so they can reach you if they need to. Be sure to take the number of the port agent for the next port of call just in case you run into some unexpected problem.

Keith

We did it a few years ago in Italy where we left the ship in Civitavecchia and rejoined in Salerno.

I contacted RC to ask if this was possible and was told to email emergencyteam@rccl.com asking for permission. They responded very quickly with details of all the information they would require and granted permission as soon as I sent off the details.

We contacted Guest Relations once onboard to confirm that we would be leaving the ship for one night and we had to hand over our passports for them to get clearance once we docked. They then handed our passports back to us and off we went - not sure if this would be the same with France.

It's a great idea to get to see some more of a country.

We did it a few years ago in Italy where we left the ship in Civitavecchia and rejoined in Salerno.

I contacted RC to ask if this was possible and was told to email emergencyteam@rccl.com asking for permission. They responded very quickly with details of all the information they would require and granted permission as soon as I sent off the details.

We contacted Guest Relations once onboard to confirm that we would be leaving the ship for one night and we had to hand over our passports for them to get clearance once we docked. They then handed our passports back to us and off we went - not sure if this would be the same with France.

It's a great idea to get to see some more of a country.

thank you! that is very useful information - i will get my ducks in a row and then email them

Appreciate everyone's responses.