Splendor Skipped Costa Maya this Week

lbrandon

Figured instead of starting a new thread i'd post this in here.

I noticed last night Splendor left St. Thomas as usual but kinda wandered around just outside the bay at about 5 knots for a couple hours then returned back to St Thomas dock briefly then left for San Juan. Wonder what that was all about.

Figured instead of starting a new thread i'd post this in here.

I noticed last night Splendor left St. Thomas as usual but kinda wandered around just outside the bay at about 5 knots for a couple hours then returned back to St Thomas dock briefly then left for San Juan. Wonder what that was all about.

Sadly, that has medical emergency written all over it.

I've been to Costa Maya 6 times, once on Carnival and 5 times on Norwegian and never missed docking. Apparently, Norwegian has priority on the best spot, which is the outer part of the L shaped dock, not the part that runs straight to land.

The part that runs straight to land is the 2nd best place to dock and the inner part of the L is the hardest place to dock in, especially in the wind.

I have been there when waves were blowing over the dock in places on the outer part of the L and you had to watch for the waves before you crossed that part but 2 ships were still able to dock in the 2 best spots.

It is rare for 3 ships to visit Costa Maya on the same day, but if there are 3 and you are on Carnival, you will usually get the worst docking spot.

If visiting Costa Maya is of great importance to you on Carnival, then you might want to check the Cruise TT schedule to see how many ships will be in port that day and not book a day when 3 ships are scheduled to be in port.

How do you find out the Cruise TT (which I assume means time table)? I want to find out how many ships will be in Grand Cayman when we are there in May.

I live and work in Costa Maya in the industry. Carnival finds reasons not to dock unless it is a Carnival owned Port. The Splendor was the first ship in last week. Supposed to dock first. Our Port Captain was extremely upset that the ship left. Lots of arrangements were made for that ship. It is not a ship that normally comes here. So Captain was not familiar with the dock. We watched the entire docking that day. We don't have three ships in that day that often. Yes, it was windy, but we always have wind. Apparently, for some reason they didn't want to wait for the pilot, who was helping another ship. We only have one pilot. We already had the Valor cancel for next week because of another " Medical Emergency" before they left Home Port. It just seems that Carnival would rather add the Port Charges to your Ship Board Credit and have you spend it with them, then to pay the Port. NCL docks 98% of the time. Carnival it is always hit and miss. Depends on profits when at sea compared to in Port.