Royal raising gratuities, Celebrity next?

oneputt18

Seems to me that $0.55 cent per day (divided by 2000-3000 staff is minuscule... ) Not even .003 cents per person a day, that may give them a whole extra dollar a year raise... Get a grip in how many people are behind the scenes and make your cruise happen. I'll gladly pay it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Seems to me that $0.55 cent per day (divided by 2000-3000 staff is minuscule... ) Not even .003 cents per person a day, that may give them a whole extra dollar a year raise... Get a grip in how many people are behind the scenes and make your cruise happen. I'll gladly pay it.

I think you missed that the 55 cents per day would be paid bu 2,000 to 3,000 passengers. Plus the staff is less than 1,000 many of whom do not share in the gratuities pool. The increase will be noticeable on a per person basis.

It's business and, as another poster noted, it's the price of a bottle of beer.

OTH, it's a reflection of an industry wide pattern to squeeze consumers. For reasons that are not fully disclosed ...... not that it needs to be. The small increase fleet wide translates into a significant revenue increase for RCL. It's like when ATT makes a 2 cent increase in the cost of your monthly service. Sounds small but that translates into millions of dollars world wide.

So, while I agree, no big deal, it brings into question just what corporate is up to. Is the revenue derived from this going to go to improving customer service or is it going to simply increase the profit margin so RCL's stock price will rise?

I realize that I'm not as experienced as many here on CC, but I thought the gratuities that we've been paying went to our ships stewards, servers, etc. If that is the case, then how is raising gratuities translating into massive revenue increases for the cruise line? Are they pocketing the money? I thought that would be illegal. Or are they reducing the crews wages and compensating by increasing gratuities to make up the difference?

Just trying to figure out how increasing my stewards tip is increasing the line's profits.

I'm only speaking to my own out of pocket, a 13 day cruise that cost an extra $7.15 doesn't make me blink. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is the world’s second largest cruise company, operating the Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Club Cruises and CDF Croisieres de France brands, with 40 ships and a passenger capacity of approximately 94,000, and TUI Cruises through a 50% joint venture.

Now if they all raised their per person gratuity tax, it would be almost 19 million per year extra income. That isn't straight profit but a mathematical equation. Yes that $.55 cent per day does make a difference, and I hope to the quality of my cruise and the individual with names and families that make it happen. And if it is profitable to the company that offers me such a deal, that allows me to cruise, I'll support them.

It is a great way to pay a large portion of their employees.

I wish I had come up with a concept of gratuities and even use the term 'suggested' to give my company employees a raise.

Not sure how any cruise line comes up with the 'suggested' amount either.

We pay them as we see them as service FEES. What I really hope is that the employees actually get these amounts PLUS more from company. We then additionally tip great service in cash.