Just cancelled my cruise on riviera

amber1002

With so many outbreaks of norovirus on this ship we have sadly decided to cancel our cruise. Whilst we may not personally go down with the virus it is not pleasant being on board whilst code red is in operation. These cruises are not cheap and whilst the staff do their best to deal with outbreaks it is not what you expect from a luxury line. They need to get their act together or we will not be the only ones to cancel!

Too bad you feel it necessary to be so negative. If you suceptable to the common cold you should stay indoors in your own house.

We are here right now on the ship and the crew are fantastic! The passengers brought the virus on board, NOT the staff.

The occurrance of the virus is possible on any ship but the measures taken to contain and eradicate it are first rate here on Riviera.

With so many outbreaks of norovirus on this ship we have sadly decided to cancel our cruise. Whilst we may not personally go down with the virus it is not pleasant being on board whilst code red is in operation. These cruises are not cheap and whilst the staff do their best to deal with outbreaks it is not what you expect from a luxury line. They need to get their act together or we will not be the only ones to cancel!

When was your Riviera cruise scheduled for?

It's not a threat, just an opinion. Very sad to have cancelled!

The posters on Cruise Critic do not represent a majority of cruisers. You get a very skewed view here, in my opinion. To cancel based on these minority views would seem precipitous to me, but as I said, if you are at peace great! Most who have booked O cruises (any cruises) don't look at these boards and so predictions of mass cancellations may be premature - again IMHO.

Having recently cruised on Riviera (January) I find this comment particularly amazing.

There certainly wasn't any experience of norovirus on this one...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/01/31/oceania-riviera-mayan-mystique/

...and about the only 'precaution/measure' that I could have associated with safety measures were the multitude of staff serving food in the Terrace Cafe...

24518324062_3d48f1335a_z.jpg

The posters on Cruise Critic do not represent a majority of cruisers. You get a very skewed view here, in my opinion. To cancel based on these minority views would seem precipitous to me, but as I said, if you are at peace great! Most who have booked O cruises (any cruises) don't look at these boards and so predictions of mass cancellations may be premature - again IMHO.

Well I fully agree with that Toranut, especially the bit about representation.

The only reason you think we get a skewed view is that we are almost the only ones who know what in going on. Most of the people show up at the ship and have no idea that there was Noro on the ship 3 or 4 times and that there was a red alert for most of those cruises. They did not know how much cleaning was going on around the passengers and how many things were closed. Oceania does not tell them. I believe you would have mass cancellations if these facts were known by a majority of cruisers. We have been getting inside info. that most do not have.

Edited by RJB

Until you've been on a cruise operating under code red you don't know just how unpleasant it is. Constant dripping disinfectant on walls, chairs, tables. Buffet tables completely surrounded in plastic wrap. No salt/pepper, sugar, place mats, utensils on tables. Locked library bookshelves, closed laundry rooms. Poor service from overworked staff.

We were on the famous 2/12 cruise that returned early to Miami.

On this last cruise I read that a couple bailed in Bonaire -- I don't blame them and would have seriously considered doing the same.

A cruise operating under code red is not luxurious and these passengers are certainly not getting their money's worth.

Just my $.02.

Its very interesting the fact that there are statements here from people on board Riveria right now ..their opinions are POLAR opposites

Im sorry that you cancelled your cruise but I consider you lucky to be able to do it if you need to.

we are well past the point of canceling and getting any type of refund so I'm going to take a deep breath and hope for the best

i'm hoping we can go in with eyes open and enjoy some of the luxury and fantastic dining we have read about here.

If I have to ...I will stop reading here on CC because that seems to be the most upsetting. I've almost gotten to the point where I was so worried about the noro that I forgot that I am TERRIFIED of flying ... ... so there is a silver lining :)

The only reason you think we get a skewed view is that we are almost the only ones who know what in going on. Most of the people show up at the ship and have no idea that there was Noro on the ship 3 or 4 times and that there was a red alert for most of those cruises. They did not know how much cleaning was going on around the passengers and how many things were closed. Oceania does not tell them. I believe you would have mass cancellations if these facts were known by a majority of cruisers. We have been getting inside info. that most do not have.

I do not question your experiences, nor those of the folks who repeatedly post in multiple threads about the horrors of the Oceania Death Ship from Hell. Nor do I question those who are having a wonderful time on the same cruises. All I am saying is that the posters here are in no way a representative sample of all cruisers on these voyages, and the reader should be wary. I don't know that this is "inside info" - just a sampling of a few experiences. That's all.

Too bad you feel it necessary to be so negative. If you suceptable to the common cold you should stay indoors in your own house.

We are here right now on the ship and the crew are fantastic! The passengers brought the virus on board, NOT the staff.

The occurrance of the virus is possible on any ship but the measures taken to contain and eradicate it are first rate here on Riviera.

I never said the staff are responsible! However, 3 outbreaks in the past few months seems as if they are not able to clear it properly. I think norovirus cannot really be compared to the common cold. If you are happy on board then good for you!

Its very interesting the fact that there are statements here from people on board Riveria right now ..their opinions are POLAR opposites

Im sorry that you cancelled your cruise but I consider you lucky to be able to do it if you need to.

we are well past the point of canceling and getting any type of refund so I'm going to take a deep breath and hope for the best

i'm hoping we can go in with eyes open and enjoy some of the luxury and fantastic dining we have read about here.

If I have to ...I will stop reading here on CC because that seems to be the most upsetting. I've almost gotten to the point where I was so worried about the noro that I forgot that I am TERRIFIED of flying ... ... so there is a silver lining :)

Yes, we were lucky to be able to cancel. I hope you have a wonderful cruise, I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm sure all will be well. Enjoy.

Everyone has to do what is right for them

If you are going to worry or stress over getting ill then best not to go

Lyn

Hello, LHT28. I think Amber is also concerned about the conditions aboard during Code Red.

After all, the little luxury touches O touts so effectively, are part of our ticket price. If passengers are not bothered by their absence, that's fine, However, I don't see O reducing ticket prices for those on board now. Somehow, a barebones cruise at top dollar is not for everyone.

Those who absolve O for shipboard conditions have a perfect right to feel that way. They are apparently content to grossly overpay for the experience. So far, O has not shown similar generosity toward its passengers caught in the Code Red net. Passengers were disembarked in Miami on February 20th with minimum compensation.

Mary

I do not question your experiences, nor those of the folks who repeatedly post in multiple threads about the horrors of the Oceania Death Ship from Hell. Nor do I question those who are having a wonderful time on the same cruises. All I am saying is that the posters here are in no way a representative sample of all cruisers on these voyages, and the reader should be wary. I don't know that this is "inside info" - just a sampling of a few experiences. That's all.

If you have not been on a code red cruise you have no clue as to what is being said here. There were very few people on the 2/12 cruise or the crossing that had a wonderful time. WE did not get sick and had an O.K. time until the last few days were canceled and we made a speed run back to Miami. Most of our Oceania cruises have been home runs. That one was at best a single. The inside info. I talked about was the real time info. from people on the ship and those that just came back. Most people get no info. because they do not look for it.

May I add: how about being on a Code Red cruise then getting sick as a dog for several days? Not just a full fare paying customer as a bystander. But as a once healthy passenger curled up in a fetal position on the bathroom floor.

Good times.

If you have not been on a code red cruise you have no clue as to what is being said here. There were very few people on the 2/12 cruise or the crossing that had a wonderful time. WE did not get sick and had an O.K. time until the last few days were canceled and we made a speed run back to Miami. Most of our Oceania cruises have been home runs. That one was at best a single. The inside info. I talked about was the real time info. from people on the ship and those that just came back. Most people get no info. because they do not look for it.

OP said that if things continued like this, there would be many cancellations, my point was that since most pax do not read CC there will not be such mass cancellations. No argument about your awful time/ not totally awful time. A lot of people do like to maintain an intentional naïveté about things so they can form their own impressions - I don't blame them for not wanting to read everything on CC. That's their prerogative.

Greetings, RJB. Your comments make perfect sense. Oceania Cruises is a business, and subject to the judgment of its customers. Since the average O cruise has a very high number of repeaters, it has also benefited from massive word of mouth support. All that can change. For starters, think Chipotle and Volkswagen.

Only time will tell what O's future holds. The cruise world is very competitive, as witness the number of cruise ads we received last week from all sources-15. Five of the paper ones were from Oceania and Regent alone. I must say I am impressed with Regent's Explorer.

Mary

Hello, LHT28. I think Amber is also concerned about the conditions aboard during Code Red.

After all, the little luxury touches O touts so effectively, are part of our ticket price.

Mary

people's fears are real & some people will downplay them others will not

A few yrs ago we took a "getaway" cruise in Jan

They tried to poison my DH not once but twice in the same night

Others posted oh how could that be it is Oceania

Well I can tell you DH was not in any mood to keep our upcoming May/June cruises ...you bet we cancelled

We tried again last May the cruise was great ...until DH had a Gallbladder attack & we had to leave the ship ..just as the Noro was getting underway

I made it home & during the wee hours it struck me down

Out for the count for 2 days

So I do understand where people are coming from

People have to do what works for them

Lyn

I think most people do not know about cruise critic. You have to look for it to find it and not everyone wants to take the time to look for this information. In talking to a lot of the people on the ship they had no clue that a website like CC even existed. Lets hope all the problems are cleared up now so we will not need to have a thread like this in the future. :):):)

It is too late for us to cancel, but I don't think I would in any event. I am going to hope for the best, take as many precautions as I can, and hope that we hit all the ports we are supposed to go to. This is our first cruise on Oceania, first trip to Europe, first Med cruise, so honestly as long as we don't get sick and we get to the ports we wanted to see, it should be ok with us. Yes, we are paying for luxury, but since we've never experienced Oceania, I guess we won't miss what we don't know we should have. Fingers crossed for everyone on future cruises.

RJB, in the spirit of friendly conversation on CC, you shared your belief many customers do not know about or bother to read CC. Perhaps that is so.

However, I note 17,213 views so far of the "CODE RED" thread on this chat board (600 views of this thread). Of course, that does NOT mean 17,000 separate readers. But 17,213 views signals a considerable number of consumers are interested in the views of those who recently were customers of this company and wish to be better informed about what "it" is they have purchased - or are considering purchasing - from Oceania.

Is there value for the premium price charged? Does O honor its commitments, does it consistently deliver on its promised 5 star service? Is management attentive and sensitive to customer needs? Those are the points I am interested in learning about from others.

As you know, often cruises have Cruise Critic "greeting" parties. I have attended many on O and pleasantly found a large number present. Not half the ship...but a large contingent of CC posters appear which indicates there is a large audience supportive of the wonderful resource that Cruise Critic is!

RJB, in the spirit of friendly conversation on CC, you shared your belief many customers do not know about or bother to read CC. Perhaps that is so.

However, I note 17,213 views so far of the "CODE RED" thread on this chat board (600 views of this thread). Of course, that does NOT mean 17,000 separate readers. But 17,213 views signals a considerable number of consumers are interested in the views of those who recently were customers of this company and wish to be better informed about what "it" is they have purchased - or are considering purchasing - from Oceania.

Is there value for the premium price charged? Does O honor its commitments, does it consistently deliver on its promised 5 star service? Is management attentive and sensitive to customer needs? Those are the points I am interested in learning about from others.

As you know, often cruises have Cruise Critic "greeting" parties. I have attended many on O and pleasantly found a large number present. Not half the ship...but a large contingent of CC posters appear which indicates there is a large audience supportive of the wonderful resource that Cruise Critic is!

And it would be a safe bet for every person at the party there is probably at least 2 that read and lurk, use CC for information but never post or attend functions.

I've been on private tours where people that are not active members of a Roll Call are on, that have contacted me when I've organized a tour, or the person organizing the tour to join it.