Turkey: New State Dept warnings for SE Turkey - March 29, 2016

OlsSalt

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey.

Effective March 29, 2016, the Department of State ordered the departure of family members of U.S. government personnel posted to U.S. Consulate in Adana and family members of U.S. government civilians in Izmir and Mugla provinces, and restricted official travel to Turkey to "mission-critical" travel only. U.S. Consulate in Adana remains open and will provide all routine consular services.

This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning dated March 17, 2016.

Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organizations. U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans and remain vigilant at all times. U.S. government personnel in Turkey remain subject to travel restrictions in southeastern provinces of Hatay, Kilis, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Diyarbakir, Van, Siirt, Mus, Mardin, Batman, Bingol, Tunceli, Hakkari, Bitlis, and Elazig. U.S. citizens should avoid areas in close proximity to the Syrian border.

For your safety:

Avoid travel to southeastern Turkey, particularly near the Syrian border.

Stay away from large crowds, including at popular tourist destinations.

Exercise heightened vigilance and caution when visiting public access areas, especially those heavily frequented by tourists.

Stay away from political gatherings and rallies.

Follow the instructions of local authorities in an emergency.

Monitor local media.

Stay at hotels with identifiable security measures in place.

Edited by OlsSalt

Thank you.

Please note that neither Istanbul, Izmir, Efese, Marmaris or Antalya are in the mentioned Provinces. They are all far away actually.

Do remain vigilant however. Turkish Security forces are very good at their job, but we, as individual are the first line of defence against terrorism. If you see something or someone suspect, tell the security personnel. ( do not act on your own).

Have a great trip in Beautiful Turkey!

While Adana is close to the Syrian border, Izmir is not. Izmir is much closer to Ephesus. US personnel family members have been evacuated out of the Izmir and Mugla provinces.

Please do not discredit this severe warning to US personnel in Turkey. And I am sorry. I loved my past visits to Turkey, and I am sorry to see this happening to her. Best wishes to Turkey's tourism industry and that she find an end to what has taken over this fascinating and typically welcoming country.

Izmir is very close to Ephesus. Some cruise lines dock there instead of Kusadasi.

We have used a tour company based in Izmir.

Several cruise lines I follow canceled Turkey ports some time ago.

I cannot imagine the remaining cruise lines will ignore this warning.

We will have to see how all this plays out. We have several scheduled stops in Turkey over the next 18 months. With the exception of Izmir, this does seem concentrated away from cruise ports.

And it should be noted it's including Izmir province which is 4,600 sq miles, not Izmir the city