ID questions

devansmommy06

We will be boarding the Dream in a little under 20 days. One member of our group just moved home from out of state. Their ID has the old address on it. We wont be able to get a new one sent before we leave. The ID he has never expires, so it is valid, but his residence is now here. Do I need to put the new info in the system for his boarding pass? Or should we be using the old address since that is what is listed on his ID? This is our first time cruising so Im not sure how it works. I don't want to run into any issues because of the difference. Thanks!

Edited by devansmommy06

I would never, ever, leave the country without a passport. If anyone gets injured or sick and needs to leave the country, what a pain

And that is of course your choice and your decision. For many passengers the risk is extremely low of something happening and they are comfortable with the risk.

Ha! No passports. No insurance. We like to live on the edge of sanity. :cool:

We decided one night to stop worrying about what "might" happen and started making things happen... Like our 2 little boys dreams.

Their first road trip. Their first time seeing the ocean. Our first REAL family vacation.

Their reaction to the big surprise made the risk of emptying our savings totally worth it. If we get stuck in another country, you can bet we will find humor in it.

I didn't even pack pants. ;)

We decided one night to stop worrying about what "might" happen and started making things happen... Like our 2 little boys dreams.

Their first road trip. Their first time seeing the ocean. Our first REAL family vacation.

Their reaction to the big surprise made the risk of emptying our savings totally worth it. If we get stuck in another country, you can bet we will find humor in it.

I love this outlook! Maybe it's a Midwest thing...

You may be a little crazier than I am, at least I pack pants!!

Enjoy your boys and your vacation!

LOL, it was about the same for us. It would have cost us around $850 to obtain passports for our first cruise which was almost as much as the cruise itself. I did all of the research and we decided that since passports weren't needed for the type of travel we were doing that we would wait until we did need them to travel. We got the boys two cruises (only 4 days each) before they started turning 18 and the 2 youngest got a 7 day cruise before it was their turn to get old (the middle son could have had a cruise but he decided he wanted to see the Grand Ol Opry, we let the graduating senior pick what we did for spring vacation, within reason, and that was his choice).

If you use a birth certificate make sure it has a raised seal or its not valid.

You are posting inaccurate information. Not all states use a raised seal.

For example, I live in Texas and they quite using a raised seal back in the 80's. I can assure you that the Birth Certificates that I obtained, from the bureau of vital statistic for my grandchildren, that did not have raised seals were valid because I used them to get passports.

Additionally, if you read Carnivals FAQ: "A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified."

I am certain you read raised seal somewhere and are only trying to assist OP but you have been misinformed.

Edited by springs741

For example, I live in Texas and they quite using a raised seal back in the 80's. I can assure you that the Birth Certificates that I obtained, from the bureau of vital statistic for my grandchildren, that did not have raised seals were valid because I used them to get passports.

Additionally, if you read Carnivals FAQ: "A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified."

I am certain you read raised seal somewhere and are only trying to assist OP but you have been misinformed.

Exactly. When we boarded Pride I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate and no one batted an eye.

Carnivals own website says a photocopy is fine.

Yes it does and still there were people who doubted what it said, that's why I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate to show that yes, indeed, it may be done. (And every now and then I still have someone tell me that I got lucky, that's not what it really means, and they shouldn't have let me board.)

Edited by sparks1093

Actually... I live in Indiana. so the raised seal thing is correct. They were not "misinformed". We were specifically told at the Health Department that the seal needed to be raised for it to be valid.

This might not apply to all states, but since this person was trying to help me-and not someone from Texas- the information was not inaccurate at all. :rolleyes:

Carnival does say you can take a photocopy, but... I will take the original to be safe.

Edited by devansmommy06

Actually... I live in Indiana. so the raised seal thing is correct. They were not "misinformed". We were specifically told at the Health Department that the seal needed to be raised for it to be valid.

This might not apply to all states, but since this person was trying to help me-and not someone from Texas- the information was not inaccurate at all. :rolleyes:

Carnival does say you can take a photocopy, but... I will take the original to be safe.

And that was why I said NOT ALL state use raised seals. And the poster was from Arkansas so you have no way of knowing if they knew YOU needed the raised seal or if the were repeating something that they read. Having been on these boards for years I know how rapidly a comment becomes "the rule". I was polite and respectful to them and don't understand you eye roll at my comment.

Edited by springs741

And that was why I said NOT ALL state use raised seals. And the poster was from Arkansas so you have no way of knowing if they knew YOU needed the raised seal or if the were repeating something that they read. Having been on these boards for years I know how rapidly a comment becomes "the rule". I was polite and respectful to them and don't understand you eye roll at my comment.

I guess this is why in the past I have avoided boards and "groups". It is much easier to have real life conversations. The way things are written in text form can be perceived differently than originally intended. Your original comment, as well as this one, do not read as "polite" to me and I apologize for reading it that way. You are correct. There is no way of knowing if they knew I needed a raised seal, or if they were just repeating something they read. But to be fair... there is no way for you to know they didn't know a thing or two about Indiana.