Verizon Cell Service Onboard - Do We Also Need to Buy RCI's Internet?

I would just add to call them and make sure your phone is set up for international calling, no charge for this and they do it in the computer

Thank you one and all for the valuable information!

Only if you are going online.

We have V and don't need a pkg. we just pay as you go. Our bill usually has an extra 15 to 20$ for a week cruise. Calls are 1.79pm and text are .50 out and .05 in. Very cheap. You can make several calls and do a lot of text for 20- 30$. We don't need data to call or text

Your ports could even be cheaper.

You better have VZ hahahhahaha

Yes, you should have a selection in Settings to turn off cellular data.

Note that when you do this, you won't be able to get texts with photos or videos attached, and it may also affect your ability to get group texts. Tell the people who might be texting you on the ship to use plain texts.

Good advice.

One more to add; if you've used iMessage with anyone you will need to create a new text. iMessage is notorious for burning through your data.

I thought you were using an iPhone, if not then my mistake. I'm multitasking...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone! All of our family have iPhones. I think that we will just turn off our data, ask everyone to use text rather than iMessaging for the week, and use the pay as you go method that was mentioned above.

We will look for WiFi when we're on the islands to have more extended conversations through iMessage or FaceTime if necessary.

Iphones also have a "data roaming" switch. If you turn off data roaming but leave cellular data on, you won't incur any data charges but should still be able to send/receive mms messages. That has always worked for me but my carrier is ATT. Can't guarantee that will work with Verizon.

It should work fine on a ship with Voom. It's possible it might also work on a non-Voom ship. Occasionally I see reports of people using Skype (voice only) successfully on a non-Voom ship.

Wifi calling worked for me onboard Explorer (non Voom) sailing around New Zealand. I was actually quite surprised. I never did place any calls but did send and receive several texts.

Wifi calling worked for me onboard Explorer (non Voom) sailing around New Zealand. I was actually quite surprised. I never did place any calls but did send and receive several texts.

That's what I had seen reported by others, but it does depend on the load on the system at the time. There were times when we were on Vision recently when the speed was tolerable, and other times it would take 10 minutes for the first page of my email to come up.

Thanks for reporting.

Just last week Verizon Wireless released "Wi=Fi Calling". You need a iPhone 6 or newer and IOS 9.3. I am not sure how it would work on a cruise ship with Voom and would like to know if anyone is going to use it. It would be nice to stay in touch with family on the Anthem.

Verizon Wi-Fi Calling allows you to make and receive calls over a Wi-Fi network if cellular is not available.

The benefits of Wi-Fi Calling include:

It's included at no additional charge with your existing voice plan and compatible device.

You can make and receive calls in Wi-Fi using your phone number.

Wi-Fi calls to US numbers are free, even while traveling internationally.

Video Calls no longer require an LTE connection to be initiated in Wi-Fi.

This must be new with the Iphone, I have been using wifi calling on my Galaxy S6 for almost a year now.

All I needed to is put my phone on airplane mode and turn on the wifi . I have made and received call as well as text using the verizon messenger app.

Edited by Tony O

Is it possible to block calls from all except emergency contacts so you don't get charged, or can you avoid the 1.79 charge by just not answering?

You cannot avoid the charge by not answering. If your phone rings, you get charged at least a minute.

Contact your cell carrier about blocking calls.

Uhhhhh. Kinda moot now. DH decided that he wants WiFi for the cruise.

The cord is reattached. [emoji6]

Well, at least now you know you won't get charged exceeding the data plan.

Well, at least now you know you won't get charged exceeding the data plan.

You will probably find many uses for it once you have it.

Very true! My daughters have commented that they hope that their dad can enjoy the trip and not have a camera lens permanently in front of his eye. [emoji849]

Edited by CookieDiva