does it matter what cabin someone sleeps in?

CanuckonaBoat

That makes sense, so then every stateroom can sleep more than 2 no matter the class of cabin? The Dream has 1,250 staterooms but a max capacity of 4,000.

Yes. 3 is the minimum, and the maximum is 5 people. They offer connecting room options for those that have more than 5 people per Stateroom.

ex techie

Actually the maximum number in any stateroom (suite) is 7. This is the max in the 2 bedroom suites on the Magic and Wonder. On the Dream and Fantasy the max is 6. Minimum in all categories is 3. There are NO guest cabins on DCL ships that are limited to 2 persons. In addition, regardless of number of beds in a cabin, one can substitute a crib for a bed. It doesn't make the bed go away, it only means that it is not occupied.

You cannot put an infant in a 3 person/3 bed room and make it a 4. That is not permitted. But you can put an infant in a crib in with 2 parents for 3 in the room.

As noted, for families larger than that which will fit in one cabin/suite or those wanting a bit more space, there are connecting cabins.

Steelers0854,

If I were you, I would be more interested in this part of a cruise ship crew members statement, than anything else.....

And since many crew today are still about the same size they were 100 years ago, we can still actually fit all of them into the life rafts.

On my ship a crew life raft holds 35 crew.

When we tried to fill it with passengers, we could get just over 20 bodies inside.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46349276&postcount=14

That would be more worrying to me.

ex techie

Actually the maximum number in any stateroom (suite) is 7. This is the max in the 2 bedroom suites on the Magic and Wonder. On the Dream and Fantasy the max is 6. Minimum in all categories is 3. There are NO guest cabins on DCL ships that are limited to 2 persons. In addition' date=' regardless of number of beds in a cabin, one can substitute a crib for a bed. It doesn't make the bed go away, it only means that it is not occupied.

You cannot put an infant in a 3 person/3 bed room and make it a 4. That is not permitted. But you can put an infant in a crib in with 2 parents for 3 in the room.

As noted, for families larger than that which will fit in one cabin/suite or those wanting a bit more space, there are connecting cabins.[/quote']

True!

I didn't consider the suites! And yes, babies also count towards the head count for the Stateroom!

ex techie

Actually the maximum number in any stateroom (suite) is 7. This is the max in the 2 bedroom suites on the Magic and Wonder. On the Dream and Fantasy the max is 6. Minimum in all categories is 3. There are NO guest cabins on DCL ships that are limited to 2 persons. In addition' date=' regardless of number of beds in a cabin, one can substitute a crib for a bed. It doesn't make the bed go away, it only means that it is not occupied.

As noted, for families larger than that which will fit in one cabin/suite or those wanting a bit more space, there are connecting cabins.[/quote']

According to the DCL website, all the Concierge rooms on the Dream/Fantasy have a maximum of 5. Queen Bed, double sleeper sofa and either a murphy bed in the living room or a bunk over the sofa.

According to the DCL website, all the Concierge rooms on the Dream/Fantasy have a maximum of 5. Queen Bed, double sleeper sofa and either a murphy bed in the living room or a bunk over the sofa.

I thought the 2 bedroom suite could handle 6 on the Fantasy. Sorry, you are correct. I was remembering the disappointment when the suites were announced. 1700 sq ft, and limited to 5.....wow.

Edited by moki'smommy

ahhhhh!! you guys are confusing me now :)

Originally we have a four person cabin with 4 people. this is booked/fully paid and is GTY.

My mother would be booking an interior cabin for two people.

i think we are going to ' move' my husband to her cabin - like an earlier poster suggested. and then once on-board after muster drill - ask them to ' re-assign' my husband to our cabin.

Since i'm now confused about the recent postings - do you think this is actually possible?

i think moving things around now is very possible since we do have GTY and no-assigned cabin.

Originally we have a four person cabin with 4 people. this is booked/fully paid and is GTY.

i think we are going to ' move' my husband to her cabin - like an earlier poster suggested. and then once on-board after muster drill - ask them to ' re-assign' my husband to our cabin.

Since i'm now confused about the recent postings - do you think this is actually possible?

i think moving things around now is very possible since we do have GTY and no-assigned cabin.

There is no such thing as a cabin for 2 people. Your mother would have a cabin that would hold at least 3.

Here's the kicker--since you have booked gty, if you move a person, you could have a cabin that would hold 3. This would not be a problem for you since one of your people is an infant.

SO, could it work that Guest Services would reassign the room situation after boarding--maybe. Could it work that you could sleep in whichever rooms your choose--absolutely.

Now the other question--did you book GTY (as in 5GTY with a number attached) or did you book *GT as in "VGT" or "OGT" which will not permit any changes to the booking?

Edited by moki'smommy

You are reading it wrong!

The maximum number of berths does NOT equal the maximum capacity of the ship.

Say a designation of 40 Staterooms are assigned to emergency station B, that emergency station and it's corresponding lifeboat may have a total of 180 people.

Those 40 Staterooms MAY be able to accommodate people at 5 people per Stateroom so 200 people. Therefore there are 20 places in that lifeboat that cannot be filled, so DCL will not sell 20 places in that group of Staterooms even though there could be 20 more beds filled, they have met their maximum amount of people for that lifeboat or emergency station in their allowed and allowed count.

You keep saying "The number of passengers should be based on the total number of berths per cabin.

But that isn't how it works!

There is not a space for every person that "could" have a berth, there IS a space for everyone booked or employed aboard.

I hope that explains it better to you :)

ex techie

Explains it perfectly, thanks!

You don't have to have your husband "reassigned" to your room. Just get him a key card (blank, only good for opening the door) to your room, and have him sleep there with the family. Your mother will be in her room by herself. Maybe one of the kids could "visit" overnight as a fun thing to do.

You don't have to have your husband "reassigned" to your room. Just get him a key card (blank, only good for opening the door) to your room, and have him sleep there with the family. Your mother will be in her room by herself. Maybe one of the kids could "visit" overnight as a fun thing to do.

That's the way we've done it. People sleep where they wish and only the stateroom hosts are the wiser.

• 1 month later...

HI! i'm just returning to this topic as I am putting together notes for the cruise to take with me.

I do want my husband re-assigned to my room. We booked 9C GTY. And our cabin is 2038. How do I find out if it's a 4 person or 3 person capacity cabin? I'm getting nervous that he won't be able to change. And if we have the cabin re-assigned we will lose our connecting room with other family.

Also -just to confirm - we can request the official change of cabins ONLY AFTER Muster Drill - on board at guest services? We can not do it at check-in? or BEFORE Muster Drill?

DO NOT do it at check in. If you do it then, they will reallocate the pricing. This would be very bad for you. You must wait till after you board the ship.

As to how to find out if your cabin sleeps 3 or 4, pick up the phone and call DCL and ask them. BUT since one of your people is an infant who will be in a crib, it won't make any difference. You'll still have a big bed for 2, a sofa bed for 1, and possible a bunk bed. But you will use the big bed, sofa bed, and crib.

I honestly can't address the "before or after the muster drill." In reality, what difference does that make? But then, when we've had the situation, we didn't bother with the reassignment. We just got the "blank" key to open the door and people slept where they needed to. No problem at all.

We have reassigned my husband at the pier 2 or 3 times, 2 of the times, it was this year. We were not charged extra to do it at the managers desk. It would be worth asking in my opinion.

One time my mom went and checked it before we got to the pier, and she had my husband reassigned to our cabin before we even arrived.

If you don't do it at the pier, you have to do it after the muster drill.

At least this has been my experience.

We have reassigned my husband at the pier 2 or 3 times, 2 of the times, it was this year. We were not charged extra to do it at the managers desk. It would be worth asking in my opinion.

One time my mom went and checked it before we got to the pier, and she had my husband reassigned to our cabin before we even arrived.

If you don't do it at the pier, you have to do it after the muster drill.

At least this has been my experience.

Curious. It appears that it might be one of those "who the CM is" things. We were told by the CM at the terminal that if we made someone a solo before boarding, they would be charged the single rate. Thus we opted to do the "blank key" thing. They did tell us that we could do the official move after boarding with no financial consequences.

thank you both - mocki's mommy and pa****urpixiedust (cute name) -

I can't remember what made me hell bent to make sure he was officially re-assigned- but there was something - for sure. it's important to me. we have two babies traveling with us.

We'll see at check-in -and if they kick up a fuss for extra $$ then we wait until we're aboard. I already have a long list of things to take care of at the front desk.

i can't figure out how to edited previous post -

but i wanted to add- that the fact that my husband is in different cabin is already creating problems with excursions. I want my 3 year old to go with him on train in Skagway - but system won't let me book JUST her on an excursion. And of course it doesn't recognize her father in another cabin. So now i had to register for it too..even though i can't go...

i can't figure out how to edited previous post -

but i wanted to add- that the fact that my husband is in different cabin is already creating problems with excursions. I want my 3 year old to go with him on train in Skagway - but system won't let me book JUST her on an excursion. And of course it doesn't recognize her father in another cabin. So now i had to register for it too..even though i can't go...

That solution will charge you an extra fee though. This may be a situation where the supervisor can override the computer if you call DCL. We've encountered 2 situations where I had to request that the supervisor do this, and in both it worked fine. I'd be on the phone to DCL for some help before I'd pay for an adult who won't be going!

Of course, the other possibility is that you can do this excursion privately or thru shore trips rather than thru DCL. We did all of our Alaska excursions thru Shore Trips--very happy with the company, and we avoided the large crowds booked thru DCL. We did whale watching and glacier in Juneau, the train in Skagway, and went on our own to totem bite and saw the town in Ketchikan.

Your reservations are "fully linked," right? Not just "cross referenced for dining" which is also called "linked."

Edited by moki'smommy

didn't know about calling DCL. will try that. they should see on their computer that at least we have a connecting cabin with my parents and that the father is in another cabin.

I agree about doing independent excursions - and I looked at a lot of options - in the end - for our large group it was easier to do DCL excursions.

When I go off on my own with just a couple of family members- we do independent tours - my brother and I will do private excursions in Skagway and Ketchikan.

Thanks again Mokis Mommy!!!!

thank you both - mocki's mommy and pa****urpixiedust (cute name) -

I can't remember what made me hell bent to make sure he was officially re-assigned- but there was something - for sure. it's important to me. we have two babies traveling with us.

We'll see at check-in -and if they kick up a fuss for extra $$ then we wait until we're aboard. I already have a long list of things to take care of at the front desk.

Probably if there is an emergency and you need to use the life boats- you will want to be assigned the same life boat. I am the same- I am hell bent on making it assigned correctly!! (but also saving a little money by not booking a single!!)

why on earth is part of "Pa****urpixiedust" 's username censored???

I have no idea. c k y o may have been a TA website or some sort of obscene slang at one point or someone at Cruise Critic had a beef with the Central Kentucky Youth Orchestra.

I'll ask the boss.