First pregnancy on cruise

louca99

Wow she said no rudeness... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and on how they want to live their life. And honestly zika has been around for 30+ years. This isn't a new crisis and an OB friend of mine said that it's more likely to get into a car accident then to catch the Zika virus going on a cruise to these areas. So maybe we should stop driving while pregnant?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's difficult to not be rude to someone who is looking for the thumbs up from strangers regarding a very serious issue

The op wants us to be warm and fuzzy and tell her it's ok to cruise

When she knows it's not

There are way more cases of Microcephaly in the USA this Brazil. They have no idea if the masquito is causing this. Now I prob wouldn't travel to Brazil or the Amazon. But to get off a cruise ship for a couple hours in Mexico/Caribbean...

And yes there are many more cases of fetus dying in car accidents then getting Microcephaly.

There are way more cases of Microcephaly in the USA this Brazil. They have no idea if the masquito is causing this. Now I prob wouldn't travel to Brazil or the Amazon. But to get off a cruise ship for a couple hours in Mexico/Caribbean...

And yes there are many more cases of fetus dying in car accidents then getting Microcephaly.

On March 5th you posted that your pregnant friend was booked to cruise with you and could she switch dates without cost. The OP who started this thread is your friend, right? Now it makes sense why you are trying to convince her it's fine to go on this cruise. Shame on you.

There are way more cases of Microcephaly in the USA this Brazil. They have no idea if the masquito is causing this. Now I prob wouldn't travel to Brazil or the Amazon. But to get off a cruise ship for a couple hours in Mexico/Caribbean... h

You really don't have a clue do you?

Each post you make shows just how uninformed you really are.

On March 5th you posted that your pregnant friend was booked to cruise with you and could she switch dates without cost. The OP who started this thread is your friend, right? Now it makes sense why you are trying to convince her it's fine to go on this cruise. Shame on you.

I posted my exact thought on that back in my post #11

It's pretty obvious that the op has traveling companions that are cajoling her into cruising and it's fairly apparent that she wants to go along with them

No clue where her husband thinking comes into play though. Is he like the companions doing the cajoling or is he clueless or equally selfish

I just love it when I come across people who are still so immature that they put friends etc first before common sense

Edited by luvtheships

The population of the US and Brazil are probably not nearly equal, so that would need to be taken into consideration when looking at incidence rates. Microcephaly does occur in the US as a result of gene defects; prenatal severe malnutrition and exposure to harmful substances, and prenatal exposure to a couple of viruses such as Rubella. I don't believe we have Zika yet in our mosquito population in the US, but it's probably only a matter of time.

This is all still under investigation, but a link to Zika has been established due to finding the virus in the brain tissue of affected babies in Brazil.

The OP should be seeking advice from her OB and information re recommendations for travel to the ports she would be traveling to from the CDC. The risk may indeed be extremely small where she is going, I don't know. But she needs to educate herself and get advice from the experts, not a message board.

I posted my exact thought on that back in my post #11

It's pretty obvious that the op has traveling companions that are cajoling her into cruising and it's fairly apparent that she wants to go along with them

No clue where her husband thinking comes into play though. Is he like the companions doing the cajoling or is he clueless or equally selfish

I just love it when I come across people who are still so immature that they put friends etc first before common sense

Right you are! I think it doesn't matter what advice she gets from us, she'll trust her friend. Foolish people!

And interesting to see that OP hasn't even returned to comment once advice given, and that her friend posting here seems almost militant at dismissing the info that people here (who have absolutely no vested interest in making sure NCL gets her money) are providing.

Seems obvious to me that this poor woman is getting browbeaten into going on the cruise with her friend, who selfishly wants her to go on the trip so that she herself can have a better time. Some friend, eh?

She's going to end up going regardless of what we say, so I think this thread could probably either go poof, get locked, or die a slow death.

And interesting to see that OP hasn't even returned to comment once advice given, and that her friend posting here seems almost militant at dismissing the info that people here (who have absolutely no vested interest in making sure NCL gets her money) are providing.

Seems obvious to me that this poor woman is getting browbeaten into going on the cruise with her friend, who selfishly wants her to go on the trip so that she herself can have a better time. Some friend, eh?

She's going to end up going regardless of what we say, so I think this thread could probably either go poof, get locked, or die a slow death.

The OP has returned to this site several times, the latest being 5:17 last evening. So she's clearly not interested in safety.

Lol, funny how wrong you guys are. I have no idea who this women is. Yes I do have a friend going on a cruise and so I researched it a lot and spoke with two doctors. So I just very informed on the subject.

Lol, funny how wrong you guys are. I have no idea who this women is. Yes I do have a friend going on a cruise and so I researched it a lot and spoke with two doctors. So I just very informed on the subject.

Why is your friend not doing the research and speaking with 2 doctors! She's the pregnant one and I'm sure she is capable of making a decision without you. If she's listening to you, then God help her. I'm so done with this thread.

I cruised when I was about 20 weeks pregnant with my second child. If you are showing you will need a written letter from your doctor (look up the specific requirements on NCL website) stating how pregnant you are, your due date etc... While on the cruise you will really not be allowed to go on many excursions. I found that booking anything at all other than a glass bottom boat tour was pretty near impossible. If you aren't obviously pregnant it may be easier, but I am 4'9" and even at only 20 weeks, I looked very very pregnant.

Keep in mind that if anything happens pregnancy wise on the boat, that is pretty well it. If you start to miscarry, you will miscarry, they won't be able to help you.

Also personally... I would not travel to Zika affected areas. If you stay on the boat you are probably ok, but I really wouldn't get off. The issue with ZIKA isn't JUST microcephaly, they believe it may cause developmental or cognitive delays across the board even in kids who don't appear to have the physical microcephaly. Personally... I wouldn't risk it especially in the first trimester.

Did any of you heartless souls consider that maybe she really doesn't want this baby? Maybe we should mind our own business.
To me, the only thing that seems evident is that she asked for opinions but only wanted to hear from those that agreed with her. That says to me that she already has her mind made up and just wanted comfort and confirmation from people who are telling her she is doing the right thing. The fact that she hasn't returned to this thread says that she doesn't want people to tell her about the health risks.

But you are right, this is her baby, so in the end, only her opinion truly matters.

The suggestion back a few post about contacting NCL about what documentation is needed is very pertinent. Depending on "how far along she is, she may not even be allowed on the cruise. Same with infants. Many assume infants are always allowed, but they must be at least 6 months old before going on a cruise. And if there are 3 or more consecutive sea days, they must be at least one year old on NCL.

There is no leniency. I had a client whose child would turn 6 months old the day after a cruise, and she was denied.

If she is eligible she should give it some thought, most of what has been shared on here as far as Zika is totally true. It has been around a long time, and there has been outbursts in certain geographies.

Travelers to a tropical or sub-tropical area (Africa, Asia, Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America), can protect themselves from Zika and other mosquito-borne diseases by following these prevention suggestions:

•Use insect repellant with any of the following active ingredients ◦DEET (up to 30%)

◦Picaridin

◦Oil of lemon eucalyptus

◦Para-menthane diol

◦IR3535

◦Always follow product label instructions and make sure repellent is age-appropriate.

◦It is safe for pregnant or nursing women to use EPA-approved repellants if applied according to package label instructions.

◦Apply repellent on bare skin or clothing, not under clothing.

•Cover skin with long-sleeved shirts and long pants ◦Apply a permethrin repellent directly to clothing or purchase pre-treated clothing. Follow the manufacturer’s directions and do not apply directly to the skin.

• Keep mosquitoes out of hotel rooms ◦Choose a hotel or lodging with air conditioning or screens on windows and doors.

◦Sleep under a mosquito bed net when outside or in a room that is not screened.

For more information on mosquito bite prevention visit: Mosquito-borne Prevention

To see a list of travel health notices issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention please visit: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notice

I am not saying I would want to take a chance, but thousands of travelers and local residents live in these locations or visit. and still a small % are contracting the disease. So far in Florida there have been 79 cases, and all of them have been travel related, not caused directly by mosquitos.

Did any of you heartless souls consider that maybe she really doesn't want this baby? Maybe we should mind our own business.

Nope not at all and your comment assumes that she doesn't want this baby but is willing to risk having a baby with a deformity ....that she ultimately needs to care for.....makes no sense

You should re read the original post

My take is she is being browbeaten by her dh and friends to go on this cruise. They probably don't want to lose out on the free ubp for them and the hopefully alcohol free stuff for her

Probably just a selfish foursome who aren't very well educated

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

The suggestion back a few post about contacting NCL about what documentation is needed is very pertinent. Depending on "how far along she is, she may not even be allowed on the cruise. Same with infants. Many assume infants are always allowed, but they must be at least 6 months old before going on a cruise. And if there are 3 or more consecutive sea days, they must be at least one year old on NCL.

There is no leniency. I had a client whose child would turn 6 months old the day after a cruise, and she was denied.

If she is eligible she should give it some thought, most of what has been shared on here as far as Zika is totally true. It has been around a long time, and there has been outbursts in certain geographies.

Travelers to a tropical or sub-tropical area (Africa, Asia, Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America), can protect themselves from Zika and other mosquito-borne diseases by following these prevention suggestions:

•Use insect repellant with any of the following active ingredients ◦DEET (up to 30%)

◦Picaridin

◦Oil of lemon eucalyptus

◦Para-menthane diol

◦IR3535

◦Always follow product label instructions and make sure repellent is age-appropriate.

◦It is safe for pregnant or nursing women to use EPA-approved repellants if applied according to package label instructions.

◦Apply repellent on bare skin or clothing, not under clothing.

•Cover skin with long-sleeved shirts and long pants ◦Apply a permethrin repellent directly to clothing or purchase pre-treated clothing. Follow the manufacturer’s directions and do not apply directly to the skin.

• Keep mosquitoes out of hotel rooms ◦Choose a hotel or lodging with air conditioning or screens on windows and doors.

◦Sleep under a mosquito bed net when outside or in a room that is not screened.

For more information on mosquito bite prevention visit: Mosquito-borne Prevention

To see a list of travel health notices issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention please visit: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notice

I am not saying I would want to take a chance, but thousands of travelers and local residents live in these locations or visit. and still a small % are contracting the disease. So far in Florida there have been 79 cases, and all of them have been travel related, not caused directly by mosquitos.

How can Florida have 79 cases and you say they are travel related but not caused directly by mosquitos? Were they sexually transmitted or did the mom actually contract the virus from another person?

I'm truly interested in how those 79 cases came to be.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

http://www.floridahealth.gov/

They have been determined to be travel related as either the mother or a sexual partner had traveled to infected areas.

While it may just be a matter of time the Mosquitos with the Zika \virus have not been found here yet, however I believe just last week they had the first cases in Cuba

Zika fever is a mild febrile illness caused by a mosquito-borne virus similar to those that cause dengue and West Nile virus infection. It has been identified in several countries in Central and South America, Mexico, and the Caribbean since 2015. Outbreaks have previously been reported in Africa, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific Islands. Local transmission has been reported in Puerto Rico, but not elsewhere in the United States. Cases of Zika fever have been reported in travelers returning to the United States.