Rough Seas?

lmtrn2001

Hello!!

We are trying to decide between either cruising from LA in October or January. Are the seas usually rough crossing in the Pacific at this time. I know it can be different from year to year but i just want to know what you guys have experienced.

Thanks!!

The sea conditions can vary greatly due to weather conditions which can change at anytime.

My experience in Hawaii is that during the summertime storms generally begin off Mexico & remain closer to the Equator traveling westward to the islands. During the winter it's mostly storms approaching from the northwest which generates the monster north shore surf.

I think the sea conditions can vary so much that I'd consider the island weather more. January is my favorite time in Maui...highs mostly in the upper 70s to low 80s which is about 10° cooler than October. The tradewinds which are the islands natural cooling source are generally stronger in October but it's also hotter & so will the ocean temperatures...averaging 79° in October and 75° in January.

This website gives general monthly weather trends & average temperatures in Maui.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/trip-planning-weather/

Edited by Astro Flyer

We've cruised to or from or past Hawaii I think 6 times, also once across the North Pacific. Maybe we're just lucky, but never had anything close to rough weather.

Leaving again in two days. We'll see what happens. Either way not too worried, rough seas don't bother us.