Which travel insurance companies will cover heart disease for USA?

I just learned that Covermore won't cover heart disease for our cruise to Hawaii & South Pacific next year....ouch!

My husband (now 73) had a stent 11 years ago and his condition has been very stable.We have always had pre-existing cover for this for other cruises, but USA is a no-go zone it seems. We took the risk and went without it for South America+ USA in 2011, but it was a bit stressful.

I still have lots of time, but I will need to locate a company that will cover this pre-existing ...what are my chances? I don't feel comfortable travelling without it, but may have no option.

Has anyone had any success locating a company that will cover heart disease in the USA?

Cheers,

Anna

Edited by Kinkacruiser

Anna

Try Insure and Go @ http://www.insureandgo.com.au - they offered me cover including for the US when others wouldn't for pre existing conditions including cardiac I never had to claim but it was good to have the cover

They offer a Cruise specific policy as well

They will be my "go to" company for Travel Insurance moving forward as the others were all too quick to decline cover for me

You may have to ring them and talk through the issues and let them complete the patient history

The premium will be higher than standard - but I didn't find it too bad

Edited by Bodogbodog

I still have lots of time, but I will need to locate a company that will cover this pre-existing ...what are my chances? I don't feel comfortable travelling without it, but may have no option.

Has anyone had any success locating a company that will cover heart disease in the USA?

Cheers,

Anna

Hi Anna

A little dated was in 2014... we used Insure and Go when we cruised from LA back to Melbourne we were gone around 29 days. To cover my Johns pre-existing triple bypass and coronary artery disease it was an excess of $700 on top of the standard policy charge....he was on no meds and had never had a heart attack I believe that changes the pricing.....thought it very reasonable and money well spent, had he had any problems that could be linked back to the condition and we had no cover we would have waved bye bye to the house :eek::eek::eek:

Anna

Try Insure and Go @ http://www.insureandgo.com.au - they offered me cover including for the US when others wouldn't for pre existing conditions including cardiac I never had to claim but it was good to have the cover

They offer a Cruise specific policy as well

They will be my "go to" company for Travel Insurance moving forward as the others were all too quick to decline cover for me

You may have to ring them and talk through the issues and let them complete the patient history

The premium will be higher than standard - but I didn't find it too bad

Yep they are my go to insurance company, I'm 70+ with a heart stent and diabetes, and they cover me quite reasonably.

I just learned that Covermore won't cover heart disease for our cruise to Hawaii & South Pacific next year....ouch!

Has rule just come into place? My dad is cruising to Hawaii and staying 3 nights next Saturday. He has had a heart bypass a few years ago and stents in the arteries. He has taken out insurance with Covermore.

Edited by cruisine21

My husband (now 73) had a stent 11 years ago and his condition has been very stable.We have always had pre-existing cover for this for other cruises, but USA is a no-go zone it seems. We took the risk and went without it for South America+ USA in 2011, but it was a bit stressful.

Cheers,

Anna

Hi Anna I was having the same problem as you with regards insuring husband who has had heart bypass for trip to Canada, USA and South Pacific. Found that a lot of insurance companies wont cover pre existing heart conditions for travel to the Americas. Those that did provide cover were quite expensive. I found out you can purchase medical cover only as a visitor to US. They cover for stable conditions and cover is for all travel to any country once you leave your home country. Check out http://www.insubuy.com/visitor-insurance-acute-onset-of-pre-existing-conditions/ or http://www.patriotamerica.net/. Also check if you have free travel insurance with your credit card. I ended up being able to cover our trip through credit card insurance and paying an amount to cover the pre existing conditions. Price was really good and much cheaper than any other insurance.

Don't forget you can get a 20% discount with insure and go, using the code groupon20, valid till 30th April.

We have also used southern cross, (5 star Cannex rating) cheaper than insure and go without the discount code, I'm not sure about their pre existing cover but it might be worth a phone call.

Yes - pardon the pun but Covermore is a dead loss. I used to use them but I now always go with InsureandGo.:)

...and their over the phone quote was double that of Insure and Go's :rolleyes:.

Thanks again everyone....really appreciate your comments and have a stash of options to use next year.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

Hi Anna - SureSave Insurance is another we have used. Insure n go was more expensive. We eventually had 2 different policies for our 7 week USA trip last year - husband SureSave and mine was Insurengo. So that gives you another option.

You have to be careful getting seperate travel insurance when you are travelling together. If one party has a problem and needs to claim on their policy the other party cannot claim on their seperate policy (especially for pre existing conditions). You have to read all the fine print and understand what it all means.

Don't forget you can get a 20% discount with insure and go, using the code groupon20, valid till 30th April.

We have also used southern cross, (5 star Cannex rating) cheaper than insure and go without the discount code, I'm not sure about their pre existing cover but it might be worth a phone call.

Thankyou GoGo for that valuable information. Not only were Insure & Go able to offer Insurance for hubbys heart condition, but they also gave us several hundred dollars refund using the groupon20 code.

Thankyou GoGo for that valuable information. Not only were Insure & Go able to offer Insurance for hubbys heart condition, but they also gave us several hundred dollars refund using the groupon20 code.

Where do you find the code? I won't be purchasing until early next year.

Where do you find the code? I won't be purchasing until early next year.

You register with Groupon Australia. They have lots of reduced offers on their website, and it is on there. Be aware they do send regular e-mail offers, but there are also some good deals.

You register with Groupon Australia. They have lots of reduced offers on their website, and it is on there. Be aware they do send regular e-mail offers, but there are also some good deals.

Oldies will always get 10 % discount and sometimes 15% on Seniors card.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't forget you can get a 20% discount with insure and go, using the code groupon20, valid till 30th April

I just took out two policies with Insure & Go using the Groupon20 code (you don't need to register or anything - just quote the reference to the agent when taking out the policy - a big thankyou to gogo65

As an example of the joys of health issues - I had no problem getting the policies besides a variety of pre-existing conditions - which last time I checked no other insurer were prepared to take me on with - however understand the premium that may be charged for this. In my case a basic premium for a 12 month policy with travel to US included was $628 - after pre-existing conditions were added in the premium quoted was $2552 - 4 times the cost...

The joys of getting older and striking a few health challenges (these prices are before discounting and after working though my travel plans with the agent (who was very good and helpful) I decided I'd take individual policies covering a couple of trips and ended up paying $1466 after discount

So for those considering travel insurance don't forget to take advantage of the 20% off offer which ends at the end of April

Edited by Bodogbodog

Read the fine print carefully if you are thinking of using credit card cover. I have used Worldcare over a number of years. I always speak personally to sales rep rather than just using Internet as I too have a combination of issues and I want to be certain I am fully covered. Old age is a buggier but the alternative is worse!