Princess with peanut/tree nut allergy, any experience? advice?

kt6453

We will be taking Crown Princess to Alaska this May. My 3yo has peanut/tree nut allergy. Of course we will always carry epipens, etc.

I am planning to bring prepackaged food from home for instances where safe food isn't available and on excursions.

I have discussed with special needs and his name is "flagged" for the allergy and they state they are aware.

I'm interested in any experiences with Princess and allergies, places you found it easier to eat, etc. I am especially concerned about embarkation day....

Thank you!

My wife is lactose intolerant and allergic to shellfish. In addition to what you have done, we saw the MD the first day. When we arrived for dinner, we asked for the head waiter. He helped my wife select her dinner. After the first night, he brought the next night's menu so she could order in advance.

At the buffet, she would ask for the head waiter. He would bring my wife to the chef. He helped her decide on a meal. Those meals were great. Strangers would see my wife's lunch and stop and ask what it was? How did she get it? etc.

I travel with serious allergies and Princess is my cruise line of choice for the best trained and most concerned staff.. Everyone from your waiter, head waiter, kitchen staff, specialty restaurant staff.. all will bend over backwards to make sure your food is prepared and served properly.

A couple of hints: Even if you have anytime dining, you can ask for the same table/waiters every night.. Having the same serving staff throughout the cruise insures that you have waiters that are aware of the allergy and will be watching out for you in the kitchen.

Your head waiter will place your order for dinner the next night and lunch the next day (if it is a sea day) He may even serve your meals.. It is his job to make sure you have safe meals... and they all take that responsibility very seriously..

For the Horizon Court Buffet.. You don't have to find a head waiter.. go directly the top.. Ask to speak to the Sous Chef in charge.. he will walk you around the buffet each day and make suggestions and always offer to prepare something special if you like.. Usually there are two Sous Chefs who alternate and they know EVERY ingredient in their dishes.. buffet staff are not all informed about ingredients, so I wouldn't necessarily trust their information.. Only the Sous Chef, he's the boss!

I don't have much experience with the Trident Grill (hamburgers/hot dogs) and the Prego Pizza because of my allergies..

The International Cafe has a nice selection, but I would definitely ask for help there. They actually cook and serve.. some of their items have nuts..

On embarkation day you might want to go to the main dining room open for lunch. There will be a Head Waiter that will assist with your order.. they are open until 1:30pm.. and have a special menu just for embarkation day.

Recently I shared a table with some people at lunch, and the child with them had a peanut allergy. As soon as we were seated, the Head Waiter appeared to discuss the menu options with the mother. It was as if by magic. :) I thought at the time that Princess does a very good job keeping track of the passengers with dietary restrictions. (None of us at the table ordered anything that might have been a problem for the little boy. Solidarity and all that. ;))

On our Alaska cruise last August, we sat next to a 10-top table that had three, perhaps four people with dietary limits. Every night, they'd glance at the menu and pick their dinner for the next night.

Unfortunately, on more than one occasion, I saw one or more of them change their mind, mostly children but not always. Please, for the sake of everyone in the MDR if not the whole cruise, DON'T DO THAT. Ugh.

we have learned from lots of cruising, you can ask your waiter where he is from (one of ours from India) and get lots of dishes from his-hers particular country if you wish. Never was sure where they came from but the Indian food was organic and superb, just like India. They are willing to work with anyone on allergies a guy I know is allergic to shellfish so he just tells the waiters everywhere he goes.

One suggestion - if you eat in Horizon Court you not only have to be careful about the foods themselves, but the serving utensils as we have seen many people pick up a serving utensil from one dessert (as an example) that has nuts and use it for another dessert that does not have nuts - obviously an issue with cross contamination. If you are unsure you can ask the wait staff for a clean utensil to serve yourselves. My husband has a severe tree nut allergy.

One suggestion - if you eat in Horizon Court you not only have to be careful about the foods themselves, but the serving utensils as we have seen many people pick up a serving utensil from one dessert (as an example) that has nuts and use it for another dessert that does not have nuts - obviously an issue with cross contamination. If you are unsure you can ask the wait staff for a clean utensil to serve yourselves. My husband has a severe tree nut allergy.

Good point! Most often overlooked.

I travel with a life-threatening shellfish allergy, and never have problems on Princess. One thing that many guests don't realize is that in the MDR, each entree comes from a distinct area of the galley, drastically reducing the odds of cross-contamination. Thus I even feel safe on anaphylactic-shock-and-turf night. :)

I would plan on lunch in the MDR that first day, and suspect that you will find the entire issue really well-handled on every level.

Recently I shared a table with some people at lunch, and the child with them had a peanut allergy. As soon as we were seated, the Head Waiter appeared to discuss the menu options with the mother. It was as if by magic. :) I thought at the time that Princess does a very good job keeping track of the passengers with dietary restrictions. (None of us at the table ordered anything that might have been a problem for the little boy. Solidarity and all that. ;))

I agree it is almost like magic.

Also agree that if anyone wanted something with nuts they SHOULD have moved tables.