Epic tips and questions

Hi! Wondering about a number of things re: Epic, which I'll be boarding on Thursday!

1) Is there any difference between Taste and the Manhattan Room other than dress code and decor?

2) On embarkation day, where is the quietest place for lunch, and what kind of fare can we expect there?

3) Where can we find info about all the bookable shows ASAP? Want to get entertainment booked before it fills up!

4) What times are quietest for evening dining typically (complimentary restaurants)?

5) What are the best/can't be missed activities currently on Epic?

6) How do I get to the secret sun deck? Been reading, and I'm a bit confused!

7) Humidor cigar lounge - does this actually have it's own bar or is it just a smoking room next to another bar?

8) What else do I need to know to maximise the holiday?!

1. Dress code and decor are really the only difference. There is sometimes a band playing in Manhattan.

2. One of the MDRs will be open for lunch on embarkation day. Standard lunch menu, which you can probably find by searching.

3. Shows will have been available to book for a few months now. Have you registered on myncl yet?

4. We usually eat early and never have to wait. I'd say that's the quietest time.

5. Really depends on what you enjoy.

6. As you walk towards the garden cafe from the pool deck, use the lift on the right. Without haven access, you will only be able to get to one other level and the sun deck is there.

7. I don't smoke, but I believe it's a small room near the library.

Hi! Wondering about a number of things re: Epic, which I'll be boarding on Thursday!

1) Is there any difference between Taste and the Manhattan Room other than dress code and decor?

I believe from memory they have a different menu and a different a la carte item..

2) On embarkation day, where is the quietest place for lunch, and what kind of fare can we expect there?

Taste is usually open for waiter service dining - though it does feel very enclosed. But you can usually find a spot on deck. The Garden room can be madness for the buffet so take it outside.

3) Where can we find info about all the bookable shows ASAP? Want to get entertainment booked before it fills up!

Use the tv in your room as soon as you get inside - book the week - you can book online but they only allow so many seats to be done like this so if you leave it must past the 90 day window they probably wont show (also keep rechecking your my ncl as they have a daft habit of rescheduling shows and cancelling everyones booking- dont panic - even if they are full and you forget to book on the tv or desk you can join the standby line

4) What times are quietest for evening dining typically (complimentary restaurants)?

depends on the cruise -On NCL Think in the med its generally busier earlier than when its in the states.. tbh dont think Ive ever seen a queue depends on your party size

Cagneys and Bistro. Youll get different answers to this though I personally thought cirque was terrible :rolleyes:.. Do the waterslides though - its fun.. Cavern is excellent but turn up really early

take the public lift in the great outdoors (its on the starboard side - the one on the port needs a suite/haven keycard or you used to be able to buy access on the first day) then walk all the way forward. You have to walk all the way forward past the normal sunbeds then youll reach an area with matresses - youll also pass a couple staircases leading to the freestyle sundeck..

7) Humidor cigar lounge - does this actually have it's own bar or is it just a smoking room next to another bar?

Edited by ighten

Thanks for this Keith Jenner - MDR it is for lunch then! Sadly, our show got cancelled by NCL (Priscilla, it's a whole drama and we've been told to rebook onboard), and I also wanted to book the comedians, who aren't advertised online.

Edited by Capella Black

Oh and pack your swimsuit or change of clothes in your hand luggage just in case you have flown in from somwhere cold and are dressed like an eskimo on the sudeck on arrival because your room and case hasnt shown up.

ighten - thanks for the added info. Quick question - freestyle sun deck? What this? Also, the TVs for booking entertainment - do they list all the options in a vaguely readable way? Sounds weird, but I'm trying to organise a very relaxed group of 8 adults, so ease of viewing will affect whether they bother! Thanks again, this is all really handy! And thanks for the tip about hand luggage packing - have done this having experienced this back on RCI, but will remind the others!

Edited by Capella Black

I found the service at taste is really slow and would opt for the Manhattan room every time

Taste or OSheehans is where we are going for lunch when we embark

If you download the ncl app on smartphone and then you can book them via the app whilst having a leisurely lunch

We never waited more than half an hour and were given a pager

We love the waterslides, also howl at the moon is a must

Already asnwered

I think it's just a room but the room is next to a bar

Just enjoy yourself and relax

jodieh12 - thanks for the advice about the app - have it downloaded already, great to know I can use that for booking the shows, as the "over lunch thing" is probably the best time for discussing with a captive audience! Good to know service speed re MDRs, will bear that in mind.

Was thinking O'Sheehans, but thought it would be rammed on day 1 - is it normally quietish? Brilliant if so - likely to appeal to the group.

No difference I prefer taste because I can go as I am dressed

We were Haven so we ate in their private rest

You can do it online in your account it will have all the shows that you are allowed to book - Burn the Floor and Priscilla are both very good

It can vary depending on what shows are going on - Good times to to dinner are while the shows are playing because a lot of people go to the shows

I personally loved all the scavenger hunts the last cruise we did all 3 and won all 3 of them

By the pool area there is a glass elevator that will take you up there

Not sure did not go since i don't smoke

RELAX AND HAVE FUN!

Here you go

I believe from memory they have a different menu and a different a la carte item..

Taste is usually open for waiter service dining - though it does feel very enclosed. But you can usually find a spot on deck. The Garden room can be madness for the buffet so take it outside.

I

Use the tv in your room as soon as you get inside - book the week - you can book online but they only allow so many seats to be done like this so if you leave it must past the 90 day window they probably wont show (also keep rechecking your my ncl as they have a daft habit of rescheduling shows and cancelling everyones booking- dont panic - even if they are full and you forget to book on the tv or desk you can join the standby line

depends on the cruise -On NCL Think in the med its generally busier earlier than when its in the states.. tbh dont think Ive ever seen a queue depends on your party size

Cagneys and Bistro. Youll get different answers to this though I personally thought cirque was terrible :rolleyes:.. Do the waterslides though - its fun.. Cavern is excellent but turn up really early

take the public lift in the great outdoors (its on the starboard side - the one on the port needs a suite/haven keycard or you used to be able to buy access on the first day) then walk all the way forward. You have to walk all the way forward past the normal sunbeds then youll reach an area with matresses - youll also pass a couple staircases leading to the freestyle sundeck..

My experience of Med cruises is that it gets really busy at about 8.30 - 9 pm. When we went on a cruise that left from Malaga (so it really was very full of Spanish passengers) the busiest time was about 9.30.

it doesn't have a bar in there, it is situated behind Maltings bar and has a door at each end so can be accessed easily from shakers bar too, no problem with taking your drinks in there