Elevators near cabins...noisy?

Haven

We just got our cabin assignment for the Golden Princess...E414. Looked at the deck plan and it's right near the elevators. Does anyone have experience with this? Also, if we want a cabin change how can we go about it? We booked through travelocity. Should we go through them or through Princess. Also, we'd asked for a guarantee...could there be an upgrade in our future.

This is only our second cruise on Princess. Any insight would be so appreciated. Thanks!

In general elevators are not very noisy, it would depend on which elevator etc. A little known fact is that there are nearly as many crew elevators near pax cabins that you never even see.

As to changing cabins, travelocity isn't likely to be able to help and Princess may or may not depending on a number of booking factors, you can always ask but remember you may be solving a problem you don't actually have.

One open Princess booking

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

I don't think it's the elevator so much as it may be the people getting on/off. They may congregate for a few minutes by the elevator, which would be the noise you would hear, if any.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

Not at all noisy near the elevators. We had a stateroom right near the "Panoramic" elevator bank midship on the Grand which was a wonderful location. I actually would prefer to be near an elevator since I have kids and always seem to be going back to the cabin for something. Very convenient.

QE2 - 2000

Grand Princess - 2002

Coral Princess - 2004

You will be near the mid-ship elevators. If it's an outside cabin, it shouldn't be noisy at all. I had D420 and D416 on two cruises and looved the location of those cabins.

Pea

5/9 Golden Princess  countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;9;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

time98.gif

We have had cabins twice near the elevtors and not once have we heard a thing. One cabin was mid-ship and just this last Feb on the Coral we had one aft of the ship. Did not hear a thing.

Marilyn

We were near elevators and laundry. Never heard a sound. Only time we heard anything was the kids above us running from elevator to room and that didn't last long - only about 20 seconds.

Grand Princess 4/4/04

We were in E705 on the Star Princess. I worried before the cruise that we'd be disturbed by the noise of people waiting for the elevator. (But we were happy to be able to switch from an inside cabin to the obstructed view.) We ended up loving the location--so convenient to the stairs and right in the middle of most of the areas we went to frequently, like the traditional dining dining room and the Promenade Deck. We never heard any noise from people waiting for the elevator.

We have never had any elevator noise, but we had plenty of balcony noise on one cruise when some "young adults" were stoned on pot and begging for more. What was even more interesting was that an FBI inspector and his wife had a cabin just a couple of rooms away. No more noise!

As noted above, usually the noise is from passengers who "forget" to lower their voices, and can on occasion be loud.

I usually don't mind being near an elevator, as they are handy.

On our trans-Atlantic on the Golden Princess in fall of 00, being by the forward elevators was not a good place to be. We hit two rather large Atlantic storms, and the "elevator cars" were banging about rather loudy within their shafts, protesting the rough seas. That particular trip was "bumpy", and several windows along Prom deck shattered when the ship was flexing and creaking. Atlantic storms can be rather thrilling; we had a lot of spray onto our balcony from bow slap, and we were up Caribe deck!

Michael

It's not the elevators that are noisy, it's the people.

I think it's possible to narrow it down even further than that too. There's nothing scientific about this, just my feeling but it works for me:

We pick an aft cabin all the time because we like a quiet and relaxing cruise. There's not as much foot traffic back there because our all the way aft location is not on the way to anything.

In contrast, midship elevators get used with great frequency because they're in the center of all the action and on the way to a lot of places. Look for more corridor noise there than aft.

Cabins located by the forward elevators can have less noise except for peak dining times IF the ship's restaurants are located forward and those forward elevators are convenient to exiting diners.

If that thinking works for you then you might also believe that the higher up on the ship you are, the less the corridor noise around elevator areas which would add even more credence to the notion that higher deck, midship cabins are worth a premium price within categories.

So I guess what I am saying is that the farther away you are from the exact center of the passenger area of the ship the better as far as noise is concerned.

Does that make any sense or am I fooling myself?

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Archived