Oriana X606 questions.

Afternoon all,

We are on Oriana in May for 18 nights, can't wait!

Never been to Venice, Malta or Korcula.

Would like some info please, mostly about 2 day's in Venice.

Will be getting a 24 hr Vaporetto pass, think it's 20 Euro's each.

How does that compare with P&O water shuttle cost to St.Marks square?

We want to do the Grand canal of course but would also like to visit the Lido, Murano and Burano.

Are there any other localities worth checking out?

Have done some research so I know the Vaporetto routes to get, have even knocked up some pocket sized and laminated maps with route discriptions.

Is it far to walk to Piazza Roma, or is it better to get the people mover?

Any advice on where we could get a decent lunch/snack/ice cream without getting ripped off would be much appreciated.

Any other advice about Venice?

MALTA....Is DIY OK or what excirsions are worthwhile.

KORCULA...Same question.

GIBRALTA...Why is it only a half day?

Thanks all.

Keith.

Hi Keith - you are doing the right thing with the Vaporetto pass. Much more expensive to take P&Os shuttle and it doesn't go down the Grand Canal. When you get to Venice, you come out of the port and walk to the People Mover, about 1.5 euro to Piazzale Roma where you can buy the Vap ticket and pick up the Vap.

Re lunch etc, try to eat off the main canal, we had a lovely pizza lunch for a very reasonable price. Murano and Burano well worth a visit.

Malta - easy to DIY, get off the ship and walk to the lifts which take you up to the town.

Korcula - not been

Gib, well if you have not been, I can see why you might like longer. However, easy 15 minute walk into town. Walk to the top of town and there is a lift up to the top where you can see the apes, then you could walk down and still have time for some shopping. Booze still very cheap.

Here's my recommendation for an ice-cream in Venice. We walked in the pouring rain just to get an ice cream there as we'd been so impressed on our first visit. We even stood under the canopy at the front with the rain dripping round us eating our ice creams. But it was worth it!

http://www.visiting-venice.com/gelateria-nico/

It's near he Accademia Bridge on the Guidecca Canal. You sail past it on the way in.

I'd say walking to P. Roma is very doable - we walked to it then carried on walking via the 'back street' canals all the way into St Mark's.

Make sure you get on a vaporetto at P Roma which goes all the way down the Grand Canal (it is the only way to see the palaces and impressive buildings from the water) as we once got on one which only went as far as the Rialto Bridge and we had to walk from there. It didn't matter to us as we'd done all the way down the Gr Canal previously - it probably won't matter to you if you have a pass but we'd have had to buy another ticket.

Korcula is quite small but a pretty place with cobbled streets and easy to walk around and explore independently. Iirc they call it 'the beetle' because of it's shape - all the streets go up from sea level to the top then drop down again. Not done an excursion from here but it would be quite a proposition to do a half day then still have enough time for Korcula itself.

Edited by kruzseeka

The only thing I can add to what others have said, is make sure you have a good map of Venice.

The best places to eat - and also get ice creams - without being ripped off are off the main drags. But it is easy to get lost if you are not familiar with Venice. A good detailed map can be a godsend!

Whatever you do, enjoy! Venice is lovely!

The only thing I can add to what others have said, is make sure you have a good map of Venice.

The best places to eat - and also get ice creams - without being ripped off are off the main drags. But it is easy to get lost if you are not familiar with Venice. A good detailed map can be a godsend!

Whatever you do, enjoy! Venice is lovely!

Good advice re a map. I had one of those PopOut maps which we found very useful. Not only is it easy to get lost in Venice as Mysticalmother says, it's very hard not to in my experience! However at first floor level on many buildings you'll see directional signs for the Rialto Bridge, San Marco and Accademia so you get a general idea of which way to go. The next square, usually with a church will allow you to identify where you are. I think getting lost in Venice is part of the fun - we've come across some charming areas that way. Just be sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back allowing for a few diversions!

Thanks all,

Have been looking at Vaporetto ACTV website and Venice-Europe for visitors. Lots of good info to be had.

Did anyone see 48Hrs in Venice on TV, Richard Ayoade and Jo Brand.

Not very interesting really, all a bit too flippant but they did visit Alaska Gelataria...said it was excellent Ice cream.

Looked at T/Adviser, reviews are mixed for it and most other Gelatarias.

If we fancy one while we are out and about, will just pick one at random off the msain drag.

Keith