What To Bring/what Not To Bring?

nancyfancy40

I know this is way ahead, but I am starting a note book for my April 8th cruise on the CB (AD Category). Just some useful tidbits I have read over time on the boards.

I am looking for some tips on what to bring and what I will not need to bring.

Does the CB provide shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body/hand soap?

How expensive is the meds on board or should I bring travel signs of basic meds asprin, cold meds etc...l.?

Can I bring my own wine on board on liquor on board to save money?

I would appreciate any other wise travel little tidbits to put in my "useful cruise inof booklet".

Nancy

Does the CB provide shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body/hand soap?

YES

How expensive is the meds on board or should I bring travel signs of basic meds asprin, cold meds etc...l.?

Always bring a small medical kit, what they sell is pretty much in small dosage packages and is very high priced in the shops. And they don't have a lot either as for different types.

Can I bring my own wine on board on liquor on board to save money?

Princess allows you to bring your own wine onboard, but liquor is a different story. If you are caught with it, it will be confiscated until the end of your cruise.

I always bring a small zip lock bag with first aid and cold/flu items ever since my mother paid $2 for three (3) cough drops in the boutique. :eek: My baggie is good insurance. I've rarely had to use any of it (but I have given stuff away to traveling companions). ;) Don't forget the Bonine!!

I like to bring along bottled water and cokes to put in the fridge. (OK, I sneak a few bottles of beer too, but I still buy bar drinks). If you are travelling by plane, please note that these items are heavy. You might want to stop at a store between the airport and pier.

have fun.

How expensive is the meds on board or should I bring travel signs of basic meds asprin, cold meds etc...l.? Nancy

Nancy,

I'll reiterate what Toto said: OTC health aids on the ship tend to be very expensive and in very small packages. Pack those items that you have on hand at home all the time - pain reliever, Pepto-Bismol, Immodium A-D, antacid, calamine lotion, Band-Aids, Benedryl, Neosporin, etc. It makes sense to buy small sizes of these items, keep them readily available for travel, and replenish as needed.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Agreeing with Chris and Toto here. The other factor to consider is that the ship store's hours are VERY limited since they are not open while in ports, etc., and you might be waiting for hours or more before you can purchase this stuff. Best to bring just a little bit instead!

Bring half the clothes and twice the money. All kidding aside, bring your own sunscreen, etc. Those types of items appearto be 2 - 2 1/2 times more than on shore. We were especially surprised about those disposable underwater cameras. These were 3X the price on our last cruise. You can bring wine, they may charge you a corkage fee (I think $20) if you take in into the dining room. Not all of the stewards bother to charge for this. We bring it as we like to have a glass on the balcony.

And if you bring wine for the room, don't forget to bring a corkscrew! :D Another one of those things to buy an extra and just leave it in the luggage if you travel much at all. Post it notes, bottle opener, a couple of pens and markers...

Corkage fee was $10 last year. Whether they charge it or not seems to be related to the distance to the nearest head waiter. :rolleyes: Most waiters understand that if they don't charge it, some portion of that $10 will wind up as an extra tip.

I bring an over-the-door shoe hanger to keep medicine, toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, etc. in. Also bring a pop up clothes hamper and put it in the closet or under the little shelf right inside the door. (Why do they have that on all Princess ships anyway??) I got these two tips on this board, and they are great. Keeps the clutter down to a minimum.

Some over-the-door shoe bags can be bulky, and the hooks may interfere with closing the door. I found a stocking organizer at the Container Store that works fine for the 3 of us in the bathroom, and it hangs on the hook on the back of the door. You can find one here:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=160&PRODID=59822

Archived