First Time Traveling with Mobility Scooter Need Help

Hi My Husbandd nd I are planning our first cruise traveling with a mobility scooter. I usually rent but, have decided to buy my own. I'm trying to find out how difficult it is to Board a plane and fly with the scooter, I usually bring my own wheelchair and they put it on the plane after I am seated" what has been your experience boarding a plane AND a cruise ship has been with a mobility scooter. Thank you

Rhonda

My sister travels with her mobility scooter. Most airlines usually allow people who need assistance to board first. They tag it at the gate before she boards. Just like people with strollers. She's able to walk (with a cane) so she simply rides her scooter to the door of the plane and then walks the rest of the way. The scooter is waiting for her at the other end. I don't think/know if you can ride the scooter onto the plane - there's probably not enough room.

As for the cruise, she's never had any problems getting onto the ship with her personal scooter. Going through security is the same as at the airport. There's usually a separate line for check in. No problem getting up the gangway and onto the ship.

My sister travels with her mobility scooter. Most airlines usually allow people who need assistance to board first. They tag it at the gate before she boards. Just like people with strollers. She's able to walk (with a cane) so she simply rides her scooter to the door of the plane and then walks the rest of the way. The scooter is waiting for her at the other end. I don't think/know if you can ride the scooter onto the plane - there's probably not enough room.

As for the cruise, she's never had any problems getting onto the ship with her personal scooter. Going through security is the same as at the airport. There's usually a separate line for check in. No problem getting up the gangway and onto the ship.

Do you happen to know what they do with the Scooter? When I use my wheelchair they take it and out it in storage under the plane and bring it back up when I get off the plane it's very easy? I'm trying to find out how different that process is with a mobility scooter instead of the wheelchair. Thank you

Rhonda

Pretty much the same process. My experience has been that they will seal the batteries in a corrosion-proof case to prevent fire, but that is about it. As others said, they take it at the gate and then it is waiting for me when I get off or shortly after.

IMAG0019_zpszleu6vyz.jpg~original

On my flights I drive the scooter down jetway, leave it right outside the door to the plane, to the side and not right in front of the door, and use my cane to get to my seat. I'm always the first to board and the last to leave. My scooter is brought back up to the jetway and I walk off the plane and my scooter is right there.

If they're able to put it into the luggage bin without taking it apart, they will. I recommend that you put a label with your contact information on each of the parts - in case they do disassemble it. Whether or not they take the battery out and seal it will depend on the type of battery. (There are "wet cell," "dry cell," and Lithium Ion. They have to seal wet cell batteries.) Try not to stress. The process will be much easier than you think it will, and there will be people to help you through it.