Live from Viking Sea - Istanbul to Venice!

editor@cruisecritic

Carolyn - I agree with you about the powdered stuff - Ugh! Wonder why this is so hard - every Subway, McDonalds, etc in the world has big brew iced tea machines. They make gallons and gallons. Just buy one of those and put it next to the ice machine and problem solved.

Yes - the workarounds do work. I "borrowed" one of the glass carafes that they serve orange juice in, filled it with hot water and several teabags and took this to my cabin and put it in the fridge. (You do have to remove some of dividers inside the fridge to get the carafe to fit.) Also, borrowed a second carafe and filled with ice. On the maiden cruise for some reason, our room did not have an ice bucket. Another great option is to get several pots from the excellent teas available at the Afternoon Tea in the Wintergarden and fill up your carafe with that tea - while you're enjoying another pot of hot tea of course, and a scone or two. (My favorite was White Jasmine.)

Don't know if they are still doing this, but amazingly there was usually a carafe of cold tea just next to the Spa Deck with a rubber stopper and glasses to help yourself. It was quite tasty.

Thanks for checking this out Carolyn and hope you'Rev having a blast!

I need my iced tea, too. Last summer the Viking Odin had iced tea available all day in the bar. It was very good! Tha bartender got to know me and would serve me a glass or ask if I wanted it when I 'd come to the bar. Her nickname was "Doh doh" and she was very personable! I bet she was one to get personal tips.

Does anyone know if there are printers that can be used on board the ship? We are planning on booking several tours and hop-on-hop off bus and boat tours. We don't want to buy them yet because we don't know what the weather is going to be and most busses/boats are open topped. We are hoping to book once on board but will need to print our tickets.

Thanks.

Does anyone know if there are printers that can be used on board the ship? We are planning on booking several tours and hop-on-hop off bus and boat tours. We don't want to buy them yet because we don't know what the weather is going to be and most busses/boats are open topped. We are hoping to book once on board but will need to print our tickets.

Thanks.

Last fall we sailed on the Viking Star. I needed to check in and print out our boarding passes for our flight back to the US the night before we arrived at Barcelona. There is a quality printer and 3 computers for the use of passengers on Deck 1 near the Living Room and Explorers' Desk. They are located under the stairs to Deck 2. Though I can't be certain, I feel quite sure that the Viking Sea has the same or similar set up. I will need to use them again on our upcoming April 24th cruise on the Viking Sea.

Carolyn, you posted: I learned about that because I was asking, on a ship so filled with music at all times of the day, why can't we play music in our cabins? (I'm told that is in the works). The music that accompanies the view from the bridge is lovely).

Does that mean everywhere/all the time or are there places where silence can be enjoyed? One pet peeve I have with some other cruise lines is the constant music in lobbies and on open decks. I happen to have very good hearing and I find most broadcast music too loud. Personally I would prefer to hear the waves, the wind, and my own thoughts.

IMO after 50-days on board, the music was not intrusive. There is lovely classical music performed in the evening in the Atrium by a live trio or quartet. It's not all day, nor is it overly loud. In addition there's live music occasionally in the Wintergarden. For special events there is live music around the main pool from time to time. There's elevator music in certain areas like the World Cafe, but it's not loud. I'm usually pretty sensitive to sound, and it didn't bother me.

Thank you Sr. Gator for the printer info.

Now I have another question for anyone out there. This might be a dumb one but both my husband and I have commented on the fact that there are seemingly only 6 lifeboats on the ship...for 930 passengers and crew! Do they have more hidden somewhere?

Carolyn

Thanks for your updates about Viking Sea. I'm due to sail next month and I'm wondering if the public address system has been changed? I read on CC that guests were having trouble hearing announcements on the Star when they were in their staterooms, they had to open the room door to hear. I've got hearing problems so I might miss any announcements if they are not announced in the staterooms.

Thanks, S

I would not like the announcements audible in the cabins. We were on board the Star last fall when 2 passengers did not check back in. After several announcements in the public areas requesting the two women to report in, the appeal was broadcast to all areas of the ship. I was in our cabin at the time and just about jumped out of my skin. So, in an emergency, the captain can broadcast everywhere and it is loud! For shore exercursions you just have to get to a public area a few minutes before your departure time so you can hear when your tour is called. I loved being able to relax in the Living Room with a second cup of morning coffee while waiting to disembark.

Tamara,

I agree with you!!

Carolyn, you posted: I learned about that because I was asking, on a ship so filled with music at all times of the day, why can't we play music in our cabins? (I'm told that is in the works). The music that accompanies the view from the bridge is lovely).

Does that mean everywhere/all the time or are there places where silence can be enjoyed? One pet peeve I have with some other cruise lines is the constant music in lobbies and on open decks. I happen to have very good hearing and I find most broadcast music too loud. Personally I would prefer to hear the waves, the wind, and my own thoughts.

IMO after 50-days on board, the music was not intrusive. There is lovely classical music performed in the evening in the Atrium by a live trio or quartet. It's not all day, nor is it overly loud. In addition there's live music occasionally in the Wintergarden. For special events there is live music around the main pool from time to time. There's elevator music in certain areas like the World Cafe, but it's not loud. I'm usually pretty sensitive to sound, and it didn't bother me.

Thank you for the info on music---this was very good to hear.

Hi, id4elizabeth. If I recall correctly, what Subway, McDonalds etc. don't have to deal with is constant vibration and the Royal exec said that had something to do with the problem of keeping brewed tea in big quantities up to snuff. Next time I cruise (erm, later this month), I think my workaround's going to be a bunch of Lipton's cold water brewed teabags. We use them at home, and they make good tea. And you don't have to deal with hot water!

Carolyn

Carolyn - I agree with you about the powdered stuff - Ugh! Wonder why this is so hard - every Subway, McDonalds, etc in the world has big brew iced tea machines. They make gallons and gallons. Just buy one of those and put it next to the ice machine and problem solved.

Yes - the workarounds do work. I "borrowed" one of the glass carafes that they serve orange juice in, filled it with hot water and several teabags and took this to my cabin and put it in the fridge. (You do have to remove some of dividers inside the fridge to get the carafe to fit.) Also, borrowed a second carafe and filled with ice. On the maiden cruise for some reason, our room did not have an ice bucket. Another great option is to get several pots from the excellent teas available at the Afternoon Tea in the Wintergarden and fill up your carafe with that tea - while you're enjoying another pot of hot tea of course, and a scone or two. (My favorite was White Jasmine.)

Don't know if they are still doing this, but amazingly there was usually a carafe of cold tea just next to the Spa Deck with a rubber stopper and glasses to help yourself. It was quite tasty.

Thanks for checking this out Carolyn and hope you'Rev having a blast!

The ship was totally ready, sitraveler. The debut of the first ship, and a newbuild at that, for a new cruise line has to be fraught as it was. But Sea was a different playbook -- all the challenges that were apparent in Star's early days were non-existent from the get-go, and clearly a lot of the areas (beyond the ship itself) that we weren't thrilled about have been tweaked and are generally very good. For instance, enrichment was so much better. Shore excursions had more variety. The Chef's Table is more relaxed and yet still great food and service -- the restaurant was more popular than last year and people were having fun.

Carolyn

CSB

Can you compare the readiness of this ship compared with the Star's maiden? We had many glitches.

Passenger number 1.

Never thought of this!!! Fantastic idea....

Carolyn

I need my iced tea, too. Last summer the Viking Odin had iced tea available all day in the bar. It was very good! Tha bartender got to know me and would serve me a glass or ask if I wanted it when I 'd come to the bar. Her nickname was "Doh doh" and she was very personable! I bet she was one to get personal tips.

Great question. There's music throughout the day but not all the time, and there's always a quiet spot to sit and chat, or read, without being bothered. I found the music beautiful -- definitely have to check out the Munch Moments (6 p.m. by the Lobby Bar), definitely magical. And at night, after dinner, if we didn't do a show we loved to sit up in Explorers' where there was a trio.

Carolyn

Inborn traveler - this may have changed (hopefully it has) but on the Star last year the one place you didn't want to get iced tea was from the Bar. It was a small chimney glass and they used the powdered stuff to make it - and then on top of that, they CHARGED you for it as a soft drink! :eek:

Insanityx4. Currently on Viking Sea. It is wonderful. In regard to you question about lifeboats. Yes there are only 6, however 4 are tenders also they each hold 235 passengers and the remains 2 hold 150 passengers each. They also have (I forget the exact number we were told on our bridge tour) enclosed life rafts. There is enough space for passengers and crew in the boats.

Hi Carolyn, Been following your cruise reports with great interest as we are bookedeon the SKY from Istanbul - Barcelona next March - April.

Having been to Istanbul previously, we are knowingly flirting with potential disaster by booking ourselves to arrive Istanbul about 3:00pm day of embarkation. With that in mind, a couple of questions if I may:

1. Approximate time from flight arrival at Istanbul to ship dock?

2. Approximate time embarkation was closed on day 2 --- before the ship left Istanbul.

Should we miss connection, and not arrive at 3:00pm, there is the possibility of a 10pm arrival the same night. That failing arrival would be the next day again at 3pm. But if the ship leaves about that time or soon thereafter, guess we may have to swim really fast.

Any word on ship #4, presumed to be the Viking Sun. Can find only one unconfirmed report that she is scheduled into Sidney in January 2018.

Thanks

Thanks Teah,

We weren't concerned, just curious. Most tender boats we have been on only hold about 150 people. I know there are tight regulations on capacity and the ship wouldn't sail without meeting them. I hope you are having a wonderful time on the Sea. We are looking forward to joining the Maiden Voyage in a couple of weeks.:)

Thanks for the updates. We sail Nov 6, 2016 out of Istanbul on her first voyage to the Holy Lands, Rhodes and Crete. We sailed the Star lats year and loved it.

By the way, any changes in Mamsen's or the Explorer Lounge?

Edited by Traveler103

I agree, you are flirting with disaster! What a mess if your flights are not on time. We are on the Viking Sea leaving next Sunday. We are also from OC, leaving 2 days early Lufthansa, which we love, to Frankfurt then to Barcelona. We did our own air and will earn United miles. Our friends just flew Delta fron San Diego, arranged by Viking, good experience. We did Delta Premium Economy last year and it was comfortable. Good luck!

Lynda

Hi Carolyn, Been following your cruise reports with great interest as we are bookedeon the SKY from Istanbul - Barcelona next March - April.

Having been to Istanbul previously, we are knowingly flirting with potential disaster by booking ourselves to arrive Istanbul about 3:00pm day of embarkation. With that in mind, a couple of questions if I may:

2. Approximate time embarkation was closed on day 2 --- before the ship left Istanbul.

Should we miss connection, and not arrive at 3:00pm, there is the possibility of a 10pm arrival the same night. That failing arrival would be the next day again at 3pm. But if the ship leaves about that time or soon thereafter, guess we may have to swim really fast.

Any word on ship #4, presumed to be the Viking Sun. Can find only one unconfirmed report that she is scheduled into Sidney in January 2018.

Thanks

Hi, RRose7, great questions. You are gutsier than me re "flirting with potential disaster," laughing. Anyway, isn't the ship overnighting in port that first day? If that's the case it won't matter what time you get in. I vaguely remember from last year's Star cruise that the second day in Istanbul was a fairly generous day in terms of time in port (maybe a 3 p.m. departure or so?) but that won't help you if you have the worst case scenario.

From airport to port it's usually about 45 minutes. Our recent visit was an hour ten minutes but it was a sunny Sunday afternoon and everyone who owned a car in Istanbul was out on the road :)

We also heard about Australia, and our Australia-based editor wrote a story about it -- here's the link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6817.

We're told that there are four ships firmly on order, and if I recall correctly, two more in the pipeline after that. Viking's told us that it wants at least ten of the ocean ships ultimately.

Hope that helps -- thanks for the questions.

Carolyn

Thanks

Hi, Dr Banjo -- we thought they were reasonably warm, especially the spa pool, which was quite possibly at the world's most perfect temperature! Each pool also has an adjacent hot tub and those are definitely more toasty. A lot depends on weather for the infinity pool, not so much for the main pool or spa pool.

Carolyn

My wife is eager to find out if the water in the pools on Viking Sea are warm or otherwise.