Formal wear on Azura

foggy5512

Hi all,

My husband and I are going on our first cruise with P&O in October and I'm panicking like mad about what to wear for the formal evening. I've bought a gorgeous off white Joe Brown's dress with grey/teal flowers. Its a 50's style tea length dress but not sure it's suitable. I don't really wear cocktail dresses or that style of dress but want to dress nicely. Will the flowery dress be suitable? I also have the 50's style net skirt for under it to push it out.

Help!

And thanks!

Hi all,

My husband and I are going on our first cruise with P&O in October and I'm panicking like mad about what to wear for the formal evening. I've bought a gorgeous off white Joe Brown's dress with grey/teal flowers. Its a 50's style tea length dress but not sure it's suitable. I don't really wear cocktail dresses or that style of dress but want to dress nicely. Will the flowery dress be suitable? I also have the 50's style net skirt for under it to push it out.

Help!

And thanks!

I am sure it will be fine. Women can really get away with anything that looks nice. Just be aware there are more than just one formal evening.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

We're on a 5 night cruise so will there be more than one? I have dresses I can dress up or down its more the black tie one I think? Oh I don't know lol it's so confusing... Someone has suggested tonight I wear my wedding dress ( a-line gown in cadbury purple)...

Hi all,

Help!

And thanks!

I love Joe brown stuff. The dress sounds lovely for a formal night as it would be smart.

Cadbury purple dress sounds lovely for a formal night as well.

Yes I do, it's unusual and flattering for the er larger lady haha. It's the 50s garden party dress with teal in it and a teal sash.

It feels a bit summery to be honest

I used to always wear long dresses on formal nights. I am branching out a bit now, as not everyone is in long dresses.

Have a look on ebay for shawls and wraps in a colour that will compliment /match the teal in the dress. A statement necklace-not expensive -and you will be good to go.

I know exactly what you mean about joe brown. I also sometimes buy from

http://www.takingshape.com/uk/

We used to have a shop in our nearest town, but it closed, so I have to buy online now.

If you look on your CP it will tell you how many formal nights are on your cruise. If there is more than one, then there is a good chance that one of them will be termed black and white night. For that a lot of ladies will be in b/w dresses or black dresses with white accessories. Not all ,but the majority. That might be something to bear in mind.

That's so helpful English lady thank you. I had a look at the personalised and we have one black tie night.

I've ordered a teal lace shrug to go with it and managed to find some pretty pumps in the sash teal color so very happy so far. I guess it doesn't matter that it's not black so I shall wear it. Like you said with a statement necklace it'll be finished. V excited I must admit...

That's so helpful English lady thank you. I had a look at the personalised and we have one black tie night.

I've ordered a teal lace shrug to go with it and managed to find some pretty pumps in the sash teal color so very happy so far. I guess it doesn't matter that it's not black so I shall wear it. Like you said with a statement necklace it'll be finished. V excited I must admit...

By the sounds of it you will look lovely.

Enjoy your cruise. It is a very habit forming holiday.

In real life I don't dress up much now so I embrace the whole dressing up thing .

Your outfit sounds lovely foggy. I remember the feeling on our first cruise when I was really nervous walking out of our cabin in our formal clothes - if we would "fit in". It was fine and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's lovely seeing everyone dressed up :)

Yes P&O Sue, it's quite daunting really. I don't care if it's too light a colour now, it's dressy and comfortable.

Try not to worry - my husband doesn't wear a tux just a dark suit and he doesn't feel out of place. Enjoy! You'll want to go again!

By the sounds of it you will look lovely.

Enjoy your cruise. It is a very habit forming holiday.

In real life I don't dress up much now so I embrace the whole dressing up thing .

Thank you very much, I have a feeling it definitely won't be our last ... We're usually camping so dressing up is really exciting. Beats sitting in the pouring rain under canvas wearing long johns!!

Thank you very much, I have a feeling it definitely won't be our last ... We're usually camping so dressing up is really exciting. Beats I don't think in the pouring rain under canvas wearing long johns!!

I don't think long johns are formal wear..nor sure if they are smart casual:D:D

Hi all,

Help!

And thanks!

What I am worrying about is that you haven't mentioned what your husband is going to wear. This is where the major faux pas occur in my experience.

Lol John

Don't panic about formal nights, the days of everyone wearing an 'over the top' evening gown are long gone, all you need is a smart outfit, which can be a dress or trousers. As long as you are smartly dressed and feel smartly dressed that will be sufficient. You can of course dress as over the top as you like, but it's not mandatory.