Haven on the GEM

pateng

Looking at a possible upsell from an aft penthouse suite on the GEM to a Haven H!, H2, or H4. These rooms are all midship on decks 14 or 15. Does anyone have any experience in these suites as I am curious about the balconies size and privacy levels. I really like the aft balconies and I am looking for input regarding the balconies on the above Havens.

Looking at a possible upsell from an aft penthouse suite on the GEM to a Haven H!, H2, or H4. These rooms are all midship on decks 14 or 15. Does anyone have any experience in these suites as I am curious about the balconies size and privacy levels. I really like the aft balconies and I am looking for input regarding the balconies on the above Havens.

For the two bedroom suite. Normal balcony just like a regular room

But you have the whole private deck one floor up!!!

Twice we booked the two bedroom suite.....loved it

So nice to get away from the masses :)

I think I would rather have the aft penthouse house suite. Well deck 10 since I believe the balcony is bigger

Edited by RYMOMA

For the two bedroom suite. Normal balcony just like a regular room

But you have the whole private deck one floor up!!!

Twice we booked the two bedroom suite.....loved it

So nice to get away from the masses

I think I would rather have the aft penthouse house suite. Well deck 10 since I believe the balcony is bigger

Is the 2 bedroom suite one of the H4 2 bedroom family villa and is the private deck shared by multiple suites?

I actually do have a deck 10 aft penthouse currently booked so maybe I should just keep what I have.

My wife and I were on the Gem last week in the owners suite on deck 9. This gave us access to the Haven. We went up to 14 a few times and it was nice but I wouldn't stay in the Haven. the Gem Haven isn't that large for the number of passengers it accommodates.

Your aft penthouse has a bigger balcony then you would get in the Haven with the exception of the biggest cabins.

Is the 2 bedroom suite one of the H4 2 bedroom family villa and is the private deck shared by multiple suites?

I actually do have a deck 10 aft penthouse currently booked so maybe I should just keep what I have.

Had aft penthouse 10664 on March 12 cruise. Loved it. Balcony is big enough for two lounge chairs and a small table and still room left over. Cabin itself was so roomy. Quiet area. I really debated finding out about an upgrade and decided to stay where I was. Glad I did.

Yes they are the 2 bedroom family villas. The balconies are private as the luxury bathroom is between each of them. If you look at a picture of the Gem, the dark shaded area is the bathroom.

The private sundeck is for all ALL Haven guests.

We have stayed in all the suites on NCL and the Haven is the best. The Garden Villa is the best. Sailing the Breakaway next month in the Haven.

Hope this helps,

Monty

By H! think you mean H1? That is one of the Garden Villas with 3 bedrooms and a huge private outside area just for that room plus the Haven area. The H2 would be one of the DOS which also has a large deck plus your own hot tub that looks over the main pool area. Some complain about noise from pool area when out on balcony.

We've stayed in SF suites on the Jewel class ships twice, most recently on the Gem in February, both times on Deck 10 with the wonderful large balcony. We've never sailed in Haven suites, so I can't compare them, but on our Feb. cruise on the Gem we were invited to a cocktail party up there, and I was undewhelmed with that indoor "pool" area. (Not a pool -- what in the world does anyone do in that tiny bit of water?) We didn't get to see the private deck area or anything else, so again, I can't speak personally to that. All I can say is those Deck 10 aft-facing balconies of the SF suites are great.

On a side note: the suites on the Gem were not refurbished during the recent dry dock (except for new carpet); the tacky molded chairs and card table are still there in the SFs, along with the garish furnishings, and the furniture in our suite was really showing wear and tear. Not to mention that when the DVD players was removed from the desks during dry dock because they don't work with the new TVs, NCL did not cover the holes left in the desks, making it look as though a drawer is missing. Just tacky. NCL really needs to update these suites.

I would upgrade depending upon time of year. I've stayed in both the aft penthouse on deck 10 and in the Haven. The Haven is great in the cooler months because of the glass cover over the pool area. DH is a sun worshiper and he loved being able to sit there on the cooler sea days. The open Haven deck can get a bit windy, but with the cabanas for shade, I really enjoyed it even with the breeze.

The rooms in the Haven are bigger and the bathroom is wonderful! Walk in shower, double sink, separate tub.

As for private balconies, with the exception of the grand villa, they are much nicer on 10 aft than the Haven. They're bigger and protected from the wind.

Haven is more expensive and you have to decide if the extras are worth the cost. We think so for winter sailings but not for summer or early fall.

I am actually booked in 10664 and thinking about upgrades but it sounds as if I should stay put.

10664 has the largest of the aft balconies and you will love the way the cabin entrance is set off by itself.

True the table is old and the chairs for the table were not comfortable at all but we still had a few meals in there (well, more than a few because we ended up being isolated due to that noro virus) and the butler came in with a nice white tablecloth and set up the food for us so it was very nice. And we could look out through the balcony door at the wake.

We were travelling from NYC. Maybe you are too. One thing we did find was that travelling south the balcony was mostly in shade all day and coming back north it was in sun all day and far too hot to enjoy being out there. In San Juan the ship backed in and we got shade plus a nice view of Old San Juan. In the other ports the ship went in forward and we got the sun all day. So all in all there were a lot of days where it was just too hot to sit out on the balcony. Thought maybe this info might influence your decision re the upgrade.

By H! think you mean H1? That is one of the Garden Villas with 3 bedrooms and a huge private outside area just for that room plus the Haven area. The H2 would be one of the DOS which also has a large deck plus your own hot tub that looks over the main pool area. Some complain about noise from pool area when out on balcony.

Yes the DOS is the Suite we stay in when on the Gem 15500 is the one we have

been in twice and are booked again in May. Hearing the pool music is all part of it and its a lot of fun being able to see everything that is going on at the pool Deck.

We always have a great time in that suite, if you want quite just close the balcony door and you hear nothing. In my opinion it is The best suite to be in

other then the Garden Villa which is below the DOS.If we ever have more then just my hubby and me going we would book the GV in a heartbeat.

Marion

Yes the DOS is the Suite we stay in when on the Gem 15500 is the one we have

been in twice and are booked again in May. Hearing the pool music is all part of it and its a lot of fun being able to see everything that is going on at the pool Deck.

We always have a great time in that suite, if you want quite just close the balcony door and you hear nothing. In my opinion it is The best suite to be in

other then the Garden Villa which is below the DOS.If we ever have more then just my hubby and me going we would book the GV in a heartbeat.

Marion

Shhhhhhhhhhhh