Regal Princess

Hi all. I wrote a review for our 3/27/16 Eastern Caribbean cruise, but it hasn't been posted (yet). I was surprised to read some of the reviews for Regal. I've cruise on various lines and this was my 8th Princess cruise.

I loved this ship. It's the most beautiful ship I've ever sailed. There was so much to do onboard. I had a great time and traveled with first time cruiser, who had the good fortune of taking one of the nicest ships I've ever been on.

Anytime dining- is a bit dicey. There are lines and you can reserve (which sort of pisses me off because people reserved window seats and it should be first come, first serve IMO), but I digress. All the meals I had onboard were stellar. The food was great in all the venues. We liked Sabitini's best, second place was Alfredo's (both are intimate). I thought the food onboard was terrific. We tried the Sushi and it was good too. International Cafe was excellent. Really we were completely spoiled onboard.

We cruised on the Regal last November and are scheduled again next January. Compared to the Grand class ships there is no comparison. We enjoyed the ship. I thought the buffett and Bistro were the best I've experienced. I was a little disappointed in the steakhouse but the dining room was good.

Just off Regal last week and we greatly enjoyed the ship.

The food quality in the MDR was good and on par with our recent X, HAL and RCI experiences. We never tried any of the specialty dining options or Alfredo's. I agree that the International Cafe was excellent for off-hour food options but the espressos and service there were inferior to Cafe il Bacio on X.

I also noticed that some of the public spaces, including Horizon, public restrooms and all areas around stairs and elevators, were unusually tight for a ship that large. Except for the open areas around the Piazza, the lack of a midship stairwell was a poor design decision. We also felt that the service was a bit spotty--overall good to excellent, but just occasionally poor. Most importantly, our MDR wait staff and cabin stewards were excellent!

Ship definitely is in the process of replacing its towels as most of the towels were rough, yet occasionally we'd be spoiled with a new one! C'mon Princess, just replace all of them!

Overall, we had very little to complain about because it was the cheapest cruise vacation we've ever booked and thus the value was excellent! My personal rule of thumb is: if you can pay less $100/day per person inclusive of gratuities, taxes and fees, even an "average" cruise is still a great vacation! As I've suggested in previous posts, we will never book before final payment or more than 3-6 weeks out again!

Edited by Terpnut

We love the Regal also! I had my doubts with the size of the ship, but it really does have that small ship feel. Agree with the poster about the bath towels...they are terribly rough and have to go.

Add us to the "like" side of the Regal cruiser critics. Our favorite, for many reasons, out of all of the current Princess fleet that we have been on. We will see if we feel the same after our upcoming Coral cruise. BTW, the original Regal is our all-time favorite. Too bad that it is gone. :(

Hi all. I wrote a review for our 3/27/16 Eastern Caribbean cruise, but it hasn't been posted (yet). I was surprised to read some of the reviews for Regal. I've cruise on various lines and this was my 8th Princess cruise.

I loved this ship. It's the most beautiful ship I've ever sailed. There was so much to do onboard. I had a great time and traveled with first time cruiser, who had the good fortune of taking one of the nicest ships I've ever been on.

Anytime dining- is a bit dicey. There are lines and you can reserve (which sort of pisses me off because people reserved window seats and it should be first come, first serve IMO), but I digress. All the meals I had onboard were stellar. The food was great in all the venues. We liked Sabitini's best, second place was Alfredo's (both are intimate). I thought the food onboard was terrific. We tried the Sushi and it was good too. International Cafe was excellent. Really we were completely spoiled onboard.

On the first day they also let people reserve window seats for the entire cruise which I don't think is right. I'm against all reservations in general. People in the AT dining room should arrive at the door & be seated at what ever seats are available at that time.

Why should any couple be given special preference?

Glad to hear the food on the Regal hasn't degraded. They have a great staff & prepare all the meals with perfection unlike some others I've recently experienced.