Help me decide: Mendenhall Glacier excursion

mom02

We were all set to explore Mendenhall Glacier on our own until I started looking into the logistics and price.

If we did it on our own, we would probably take the shuttle from AJ Dock ($8 r/t per person), take the white or blue bus to the glacier ($30 r/t per adult $25 r/t per child), pay the fee at the visitor center ($5/pp).

If I booked the excursion through the ship, it's $45.99/adult and $29.99/child. I'm assuming everything is included.

After calculating the total cost for our group, there is only a $3 price difference. I'm wondering if we should just book through the ship so we don't have to worry about anything. This is our first cruise so we'd love to have as little to worry about as possible.

What do you think Cruise Critic members? You haven't steered us wrong yet! ;)

We were all set to explore Mendenhall Glacier on our own until I started looking into the logistics and price.

If we did it on our own, we would probably take the shuttle from AJ Dock ($8 r/t per person), take the white or blue bus to the glacier ($30 r/t per adult $25 r/t per child), pay the fee at the visitor center ($5/pp).

If I booked the excursion through the ship, it's $45.99/adult and $29.99/child. I'm assuming everything is included.

After calculating the total cost for our group, there is only a $3 price difference. I'm wondering if we should just book through the ship so we don't have to worry about anything. This is our first cruise so we'd love to have as little to worry about as possible.

What do you think Cruise Critic members? You haven't steered us wrong yet! ;)

The fee is only if you want to visit the inside of the visitors center . We have walked at the Glacier without paying any fee. If you do the ships tour you'll have restricted time at the glacier (usually about 2 hrs or less). Check at the pier , I think the Mendenhall shuttle runs directly from the A J Pier.

Edited by Kamloops50

The fee is only if you want to visit the inside of the visitors center . We have walked at the Glacier without paying any fee. If you do the ships tour you'll have restricted time at the glacier (usually about 2 hrs or less). Check at the pier , I think the Mendenhall shuttle runs directly from the A J Pier.

The fee area has been changed. It's not just the visitor center anymore.

This was written in May 2015, so the changes and increase start May 2016.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/news-events/?cid=STELPRD3839697

“The Forest Service will begin charging fees next May for use of the bus shelters, Steep Creek Trail and platforms, viewing pavilion near the parking area, Photo Point Trail, and all restroom facilities”, said Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center Director John Neary. “This will allow us to maintain and improve those facilities to the benefit of everyone.”
Edited by flatlander321

You don't say how many in your party, but another option would be to take a cab there and back, about $35 each way.

Or rent a car so you can explore further ....

My guess is that the shuttle price increased from $20 to $30 to include the new visitor fee. Anyone know for sure?

Edited by mapleleaves

Are the Visitor Center charge and the new fees for viewing pavilion, platforms, trails and washrooms mentioned in this press release extract below included in the shore excursion prices, if not included do you know how much these fees are?

"New fees for Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center vicinity to provide better services and facilities"

The Forest Service will begin charging fees next May for use of the bus shelters, Steep Creek Trail and platforms, viewing pavilion near the parking area, Photo Point Trail, and all restroom facilities”, said Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center. “This will allow us to maintain and improve those facilities to the benefit of everyone.”

We're going to Alaska in June aboard HAL Westerdam. We've been to Juneau before and jumped aboard the shuttle which you can pick up at the dock.

This trip we're renting a car from Avis at a downtown hotel ( a short walk from the pier). The cost to rent a compact car was $85.10. We will drive to Mendenhall, do some hiking and then continue West on the highway to Auke Bay, Eagle Beach and road end to see some of the scenery.

This might be an option for you depending on number of people in the party.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!:)

My concern with the shuttle is that it will fill up quickly and we will waste time waiting for a second or third shuttle. We are a big family of 16 and if we rent cars, we would need car seats and it sounds like too much hassle for a short day.

I've looked into tour companies and they spend a limited time at the glacier. We'd like to do some walking/hiking once we get there.

Back to my original question - do the shuttles fill up quickly?

Thanks

My concern with the shuttle is that it will fill up quickly and we will waste time waiting for a second or third shuttle. We are a big family of 16 and if we rent cars' date=' we would need car seats and it sounds like too much hassle for a short day.

I've looked into tour companies and they spend a limited time at the glacier. We'd like to do some walking/hiking once we get there.

Thanks[/quote']

Never seen the shuttle fill up very fast on the way to the Glacier. On the way back it depends on the time. Using the shuttle some of your party might want to go out a little later or return earlier. Everyone can do it on their own schedule.

My concern with the shuttle is that it will fill up quickly and we will waste time waiting for a second or third shuttle. We are a big family of 16 and if we rent cars' date=' we would need car seats and it sounds like too much hassle for a short day.

Thanks[/quote']

Depends on how many ships are in port and how your dock time fits in with the others. The worst is the return trip ....the last buses of the day.

For a group your size, why not take taxis ? that would give you control over the schedule. A cab is about $35 each way for 2, more for extra pax. If you need car seats, make a reservation to ensure the seats will be available.

Never seen the shuttle fill up very fast on the way to the Glacier. On the way back it depends on the time. Using the shuttle some of your party might want to go out a little later or return earlier. Everyone can do it on their own schedule.

Thanks for your info. I just checked which ships are in port with us and 2 big princess ships arrive with us around 7 am and 2 ships come in a few hours later. Sounds like a lot of people to me.

I think we will try for the shuttle and we can use taxis as our backup. You are probably right when you say parts of our family may want to go back earlier.

Depends on how many ships are in port and how your dock time fits in with the others. The worst is the return trip ....the last buses of the day.

For a group your size, why not take taxis ? that would give you control over the schedule. A cab is about $35 each way for 2, more for extra pax. If you need car seats, make a reservation to ensure the seats will be available.

Thanks for telling me to check ships in port that day. Looks like a lot but our group can get out the door pretty quickly and we may beat the rush. I'll use taxis as our backup.

Thanks for telling me to check ships in port that day. Looks like a lot but our group can get out the door pretty quickly and we may beat the rush. I'll use taxis as our backup.

There is no cab line at Mendenhall, so have the phone numbers with you, and call at least 30/45 minutes before you want pick up.

There is no cab line at Mendenhall, so have the phone numbers with you, and call at least 30/45 minutes before you want pick up.

Thanks. I'm back looking a renting a coule of cars. From what I can find, the shuttles don't start until 9 am and we are only in port until 1:30pm.

Thanks. I'm back looking a renting a coule of cars. From what I can find' date=' the shuttles don't start until 9 am and we are only in port until 1:30pm.[/quote']

In your case, I only recommend you rent from Juneau Car rental.

Thanks. I emailed them yesterday.

I ended up calling Juneau Car Rental and made reservations for a 11 seater van and a mini van. Their price was very reasonable - about $230 total and there is no charge for car seats.

They open at 8am and our ship arrives at 7 am - she said they would be ready for business around 7-7:30. We are arriving on NCL Jewel which docks 100 yards from their company. The lady I spoke to knew all the ships, which dock, times etc.

Looks like for our family of 16 this will be the easiest way to go. Thanks for all the information.