Wheelchair question,

Yazoo cruiser

We are going on the Dream on May 8th and my wife just tore the meniscus in her knee. Need to know if you can rent a wheelchair or possibly a motorized one. If so, how much to rent and how do we go about renting it. Thanks so much for any help.

I can't help you on where to rent one (but there's a link somewhere if no one posts it you could search) BUT I will say that you may want to call Carnival and see if you can get moved to a handicapped cabin. It might be easier for your wife

My last cruise someone had a leg injury right before the cruise and was able to switch to a handicapped cabin. The passengers moved were upgraded... win win for all.

Sorry to here about your wife's injury. I know from experience it is painful and not much fun. Definitely call Carnival and let them know and see if you can move to a handicap state room. It will be much easier for you and your wife. I tore mine about a month and a half before a 12 day cruise to Hawaii and took my wheel chair and my crutches. All of the ships staff were very helpful, especially at the buffets and getting off and on the ship at ports. Tell your wife not to let it ruin her trip. She will have a great time with just a little discomfort.

Have Fun,

Burtie

Carnival uses Carevacations.com and Specialneedsatsea.com as their preferred providers of wheelchairs and scooters. By going through them, your chair will be in your cabin on embarkation, and you simply leave it there on disembarkation. Wheelchairs are available for embarkation/disembarkation. Due to SOLAS regulations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be left in the passageway outside your cabin, so without an accessible cabin, many will not fit through the door or there will be very limited space to move around in the cabin when the chair/scooter is there. Contact Carnival's Special Needs department to see if an accessible cabin is available.

The chances of finding an accessible cabin this close to sailing are slim to none. It certainly would be worth a call though. You might get lucky.

As someone that is confined to a wheelchair 100% of the time, I cant even imagine trying to make a regular cabin work.

The two rental companies have been posted by chengkp. Good luck :)

I had to rent a wheelchair close to our sailing. I didn't even try finding a handicap room so close to sailing. I just rented a collapsible wheelchair from carevacations.com. They delivered the wheelchair prior to me boarding and we were instructed to leave it there and they would pick it up after the cruise.

Wheelchairs and other mobility devices have to be stored in your cabin.

Might want to request a shower chair.

There is one scooter that is narrow enough to fit thru a regular cabin door.

The Disabled Cruising Board has lots of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

I rented my motorized scooter for specialneedsatsea.com. for a 7 day cruise it was $250. Carnival has nothing to do with scooter/wheel chair rentals with the exception of notifying them you will have one. You need to have booked a handicapped room otherwise the scooter will not fit in it to be recharged at night. You can't leave them in hallways or open areas to charge. The crew will take them away. Also if you are in a tender port can't take the scooter. In a way it helped while on ship, was no help in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention my rental scooter stayed in the handicapped shower stall to charge at night. It wouldn't fit in the room, even after we removed the bedside and coffee tables. Yes this was a handicapped room!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chances of finding an accessible cabin this close to sailing are slim to none. It certainly would be worth a call though.

^^^

I am booked in an accessible room for October on Magic. When I booked, my PVP made sure to inform me that I would be moved if someone needed the room, which I fully understand. I would definitely call to see if they did the same thing for your cruise.

We are going on the Dream on May 8th and my wife just tore the meniscus in her knee. Need to know if you can rent a wheelchair or possibly a motorized one. If so, how much to rent and how do we go about renting it. Thanks so much for any help.

I feel for your wife. I have torn menisci is both knees, one of them happened on Breeze in October 2013. I remember like it was yesterday...Ouch.

Thankfully I can walk, painfully, so never had to rent a wheelchair or scooter. Good luck to you both.

Yazoo Cruiser,

I am disabled and use a scooter of every cruise. I have rented with both of the companies that have been mentioned and found the devices they provided to be good. I would suggest you check their web sites as there are price differences as well as some additional charges for insurance that will increase the price. For the last 5 cruises, I have used the least expensive and have been very pleased. I have used my scooter in both an ADA handicap accessible room and a regular room (both being balcony rooms) and have been able to put the scooter in the room overnight. I usually park the scooter in the hall if I am in the room during the day and put it inside the room at night to charge. I park the scooter in the room in front of the couch and run the cord across the floor to the plug on the desk. I will say, in a regular room, the doorway is tight. The scooter will fit as long as someone holds the door all the way open when you are pulling into the room. I biggest issue that I have had is getting the scooter aligned with the door for entry.

I wish you luck and hope the vacation will assist your wife's recuperation.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Bob

I rent a scooter every time I cruise from Special Needs At Sea. The reg. scooter

will hold a person up to 259 pounds. The width of the scooter is 21-1/2".

The cabin door opening is 22". It does fit but when you are on the scooter

the rubber wheels push out a little from your wait and that makes it a little

tight. Just have your wife get off outside the door and you get behind the

scooter and push the lever and it goes right in no problem. You can use the

door wedge that the room steward uses to clean the room to hold the cabin

door open while you get the scooter in. OP was right the scooter fits in

front of the sofa just fine. Plenty of room to walk past. HAPPY SAILING!!!