Amex Offers x Multiple Dipping = Big Discounts from American Express

My Amex Offers:

Carnival Cruise Line: Spend $250 or more, get $75 back

Norwegian Cruise Line: Spend $500 or more, get $100 back

This may be old news to some, but I just learned through a little experimentation that one can successfully double/triple/quadruple/... dip on the Amex offers for cruises. Disclaimer: This only worked for me when paying for a cruise, not on paying my onboard account balance or excursions.

I have double-dipped for a couple years using non-cruise Amex offers, so I thought that I ought to give it a try with my new cruise Amex offers. So when the offers came up I opened a separate tab for each of my American Express cards registered to my Amex online account. I then added the offer to each card where it was available.

Then I booked my cruises using one of the enrolled cards for the deposits. Then I made the smallest payments possible to qualify for the offer using my other enrolled cards. So far, I have saved $200 on my Norwegian cruise and $150 on my Carnival Cruise. I expect another $150 saved on my Carnival cruise as soon as the payments and offer redemptions clear my account. I am a very happy cruiser! :cool:

What would I do differently? The initial deposits on the cruises were much larger than the minimum offer spending amount. I think I could have milked this deal even further by calling in and making my initial deposits split across multiple cards which were enrolled in the offer. ;)

If you don't mind me asking: What AmEx card is this on?

I wonder if this would work with a Delta Skymiles card.

Thank you.

Any co-branded AmEx cards didn't get the offers. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I got two Carnival offers plus an Amazon and Newegg last year. Amazon and Newegg both sell Carnival gift cards so all of it went towards the Vista cruise. Sadly I don't have a current offer.

Edited by figdu

Update: I just checked my Amex accounts online and my final two payments on my Carnival cruise have both earned me the $75 back from the Amex Offer. This makes the total discount $300 ($75 x 4) on my upcoming Carnival cruise! :eek:

As I said in the original posting, I could have taken the discount even further ($150 more) if:

1. I had two additional Carnival Amex offers on two additional cards (this is very possible)
  2. I had called in was able to split the initial deposit of $750+ evenly across 3 credit cards.

Nevertheless, I am quite satisfied that I was able to successfully get $300 off this time around.

BTW: If you are wondering how one could have so many American Express cards here is the secret: Amex only allows a single person to have 4 accounts in their name. HOWEVER, there is no limit to the number of accounts for which you can be an additional card holder. So... if I have 4 cards and my spouse has 4 cards then I can potentially have 8 accounts on my Amex online account and therefore there are 8 different opportunities for just me to have Amex offers available to be added to my cards. My spouse would also have 8 opportunities. Factor in cards of other trusted/responsible relatives/friends and you can significantly grow your chances at getting a good offer on your cards (and hopefully on more than one of those cards). Some people prefer to have a separate online account for each card, and others prefer one account with all cards together. At the moment, both methods seem to work for multiple-dipping on Amex offers.

Edited by ShamelesslyCruising

Any idea how often this is offered by AmEx?

As I understand it, this is a form of advertising which is mostly controlled by each company in the offer. I assume Amex Offers contacts the company and makes a case for doing an offer, but the company makes and funds the offer mostly.

The offers can be fine-tuned to certain spending habits of each card or attributes of the card holder. This is why some cards get offers that others don't.

As far as I know this has been offered twice: last fall and late Feb/early March. My offers (which I think I added in late Feb) for Carnival and Norwegian both expire in this month.

I used 3 of the offers. One on my card, one on my sister's card, and one on my father's card. Just put $250 on each of their cards and wrote them a check for $175. Credit was posted the following day on all of our cards. Easy $225 savings!

This is indeed a great offer. We have used it twice to get a total of $150 off our next Carnival cruise.

I had the offer on my AMEX Platinum card and used it to put a deposit on our cruise. That gave $75 off.

I called back a couple of days later and put $250 more on the cruise with my husband's Premier Rewards Gold card for an additional $75 off.

Before final payment I plan to pay off the balance with Carnival gift cards.

Update: I just checked my Amex accounts online and my final two payments on my Carnival cruise have both earned me the $75 back from the Amex Offer. This makes the total discount $300 ($75 x 4) on my upcoming Carnival cruise! :eek:

OK so let me understand correctly. You are using your amex to make a payment on an already booked cruise and those payments qualify for the promotion?

yes?

It's hard to say. I know there was another Carnival offer last year around November/December since I used that offer when I booked our Vista cruise. These are fairly new offers though. I had not seen a Carnival offer on my AMEX account before last year.

Thanks. How often does this offer come around. I don't have it in my offers list right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by saharaga