Need advice on Three Ports

Sophie's Mom1

We are taking the 7 day RT cruise from Vancouver on Nieuw Amsterdam Aug. 20th.

It is our lst time to Alaska and we can't wait. Please advise on our proposed itinerary:

JUNEAU: Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer boat excursion directly off our ship and then meeting up in Juneau at 4pm. We are in port until 10 pm. Should we take the Mount Roberts tramride if it's decent weather? Maybe take the City Trolley Tour? Or perhaps head to the Red Dog Saloon or else Happy Hour for Alaskan King Crab Legs at the Hanger on the Wharf Pub? Any other ideas? I hear that Juneau is very crowded on Mondays. (that's our day)

SKAGWAY: We have booked a car rental from Avis from 9-3pm and will drive on the South Klondike Highway to Emerald Lake using the Murray guide.

We then have another 5 hours in Skagway. Not sure what to do other than enjoy the quaint shops. (and I like to shop!!)

KETCHIKAN: Creek Street shopping (see above), tram up Cape FoxHill, Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show?

Any advice would be so appreciated. Thanks!

Skagway has some decent easy hikes....

Last year in Ketchikan we walked to the Totem Heritage Center, spent a bit of time in the park by it, walked to Cape Fox Lodge (you gotta be in good shape to do that :) ), then the Married Man's Trail to Creek Street. Doing it in that order meant we were unencumbered by any shopping bags for the walking part ;)

I think you made a good choice on the TA excursion :) In Juneau I usually do a whale watch -- and there are usually evening whale watches offered, if that is of interest.

Ketchikan- Taking the funicular to the Cape Fox Lodge is a 2 minute ride. :) Take a look at the Totems out back, then continue back down via the Married Man's Trail. You may be interested in taking a look at Dolly's House, quite nice- pay attention to the shower curtain. :)

Skagway- With the car- stop at the Gold Rush Cemetery, Lower Reid Falls, cruise ship overlook on Dyea Road. Take a look at the Park Service visitor center. Red Onion Brothel tour across the street.

Juneau- I find the Red Dog- totally touristy with only cruise ship visitors. :) IF you want an historical option- on the National Register, cross the street on Franklin and go down a few blocks to the Alaskan and take a look inside. Consider a stop on the other side in the area, at the Spear Pins, shop, I'm always amazed at their artwork quality and designs.

Lumberjack show.

I think you mentioned in another post that you are spending time in Vancouver as well. The Lumberjack show at the top of Grouse Mountain is included in the admission price to Grouse.

I have seen both shows and I would do other things in Ketchikan that you can't do in Vancouver and see the Lumberjack show up on Grouse if that is in your plans.

On the way up to Emerald Lake - stop in Carcross - nice old church , little bakery, a few shops - great place to stretch your legs.

You can get a sample of the Ketchikan show on YouTube...

[YOUTUBE]_VjRwRxutW8[/YOUTUBE]

Grouse version as a comparison... the Grouse show is free with the Gondola ride.

[YOUTUBE]h0tX3EVlwbo[/YOUTUBE]

We are taking the 7 day RT cruise from Vancouver on Nieuw Amsterdam Aug. 20th.

It is our lst time to Alaska and we can't wait. Please advise on our proposed itinerary:

JUNEAU: Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer boat excursion directly off our ship and then meeting up in Juneau at 4pm. We are in port until 10 pm. Should we take the Mount Roberts tramride if it's decent weather? Maybe take the City Trolley Tour? Or perhaps head to the Red Dog Saloon or else Happy Hour for Alaskan King Crab Legs at the Hanger on the Wharf Pub? Any other ideas? I hear that Juneau is very crowded on Mondays. (that's our day)

SKAGWAY: We have booked a car rental from Avis from 9-3pm and will drive on the South Klondike Highway to Emerald Lake using the Murray guide.

We then have another 5 hours in Skagway. Not sure what to do other than enjoy the quaint shops. (and I like to shop!!)

KETCHIKAN: Creek Street shopping (see above)' date=' tram up Cape FoxHill, Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show?

Any advice would be so appreciated. Thanks![/quote']

Juneau - you have a great start. I would suggest waiting until you get into port to see if Mount Roberts is fogged over. Capitol Building and walking downtown are great ideas.

Skagway - I would do more, as suggested with the car, because you can do the shops easily in an hour and 1/2.

Ketchikan - creek street is great. I like the lumberjack show. SE Alaska Discovery Center is another option in town.

Skagway- With the car- stop at the Gold Rush Cemetery, Lower Reid Falls, cruise ship overlook on Dyea Road. Take a look at the Park Service visitor center. Red Onion Brothel tour across the street.

Budget Queen - I have in my notes there is a waterfall you can walk to from the Gold Rush Cemetery. Is that Lower Reid Falls or something else? Hubby loves to photo waterfalls so I need to make sure I have my facts right about those :)

Budget Queen - I have in my notes there is a waterfall you can walk to from the Gold Rush Cemetery. Is that Lower Reid Falls or something else? Hubby loves to photo waterfalls so I need to make sure I have my facts right about those :)

Correct, then also be certain to stop at Bridal Veil Falls on the Klondike Highway.

Set your trip meter when you get your car, then line up the miles with Murray's Guide.

The mile markers on the highway, are difficult to see, with some missing. A lot easier to just look at your mileage.

Correct, then also be certain to stop at Bridal Veil Falls on the Klondike Highway.

Set your trip meter when you get your car, then line up the miles with Murray's Guide.

The mile markers on the highway, are difficult to see, with some missing. A lot easier to just look at your mileage.

Thanks I do have Murray's Guide so will make note of that when I go through it and plan our stops!

Juneau - you have a great start. I would suggest waiting until you get into port to see if Mount Roberts is fogged over. Capitol Building and walking downtown are great ideas.

Skagway - I would do more, as suggested with the car, because you can do the shops easily in an hour and 1/2.

Ketchikan - creek street is great. I like the lumberjack show. SE Alaska Discovery Center is another option in town.

As usual, lots of great advice. Thanks everyone!