Luggage express in Miami?

crazycruzer68

Just talked to Carnival. Bottom line is that luggage express would not work for us, as we'd still need to stop by the check in counter and show our card to wave the baggage fees. However, I think this will add more confusion and certainly negates the whole "express" part of this deal. Looks we will be self-assist.

We also get 1st checked bags free on American for having the American Airlines Aaviator MasterCard. There was a spot on the form to say that you qualify for exemption of baggage fees and a line to state the reason for the exemption. We've always just filled that out, and we've never been charged any baggage fees on our S&S card--just the $20 per person service charge. Of course, the card is associated with the airline directly, so YMMV.

i was going to use it this time but i have an early flight so i'm glad i read your post. not going to chance it.

There are published flight times that are eligible for Luggage Express. In POM to MIA, the flight has to be 11:30 a.m. or after (2 p.m. or later if you're flying out of FLL), so if your flight is earlier, you wouldn't be eligible. For Southwest, there is an additional restriction that the departure flight has to be before 7 pm.

I know the fights need to be a little later out of Port Canaveral to MCO to be eligible since it's a longer distance between the two. I made my departure flight time accordingly for our Magic cruise.

Can anyone confirm that Canadians are not eligible for this. What if you are Canadian but flying to a US airport and driving home?

I don't have a specific answer to this question; however, the forms for Port of Miami do state the following under eligibility requirements:

"We accept domestic and international flights for all airlines listed below.

Program not available for guests participating in a Miami shore excursion on debarkation morning."

Then it goes on to list these airlines: AA, Delta, United, and JetBlue for MIA and for FLL the same plus Southwest and Alaska Airlines.

The form doesn't mention citizenship, but you must take proper travel documents with you to guest services when you turn in your forms and register.

We also get 1st checked bags free on American for having the American Airlines Aaviator MasterCard. There was a spot on the form to say that you qualify for exemption of baggage fees and a line to state the reason for the exemption. We've always just filled that out, and we've never been charged any baggage fees on our S&S card--just the $20 per person service charge. Of course, the card is associated with the airline directly, so YMMV.

That's great to know! Too bad nobody at Carnival could tell me this. :)

I did call Delta last night and was told that I can check in online within 24 hours before the flight and they have our Sky Miles card linked to our account, so the baggage feed would be nullified. Of course, that means I'd have to pay for internet access on board.

It always gets us off early. Right behind the wheelchairs and self-assist.

If you do Luggage Express, you have to wait until your bags clear customs. There is a specific zone # (I believe ours was 7 or 8) on your luggage tags. You have to wait until they call that zone # to disembark. You won't be able to do FTTF priority disembarkation AND do luggage express.