Anthem obstructed balcony cabins, feedback please.

We are looking at the Sept 4, 2016 9 day New England cruise on the Anthem for our 46th anniversary. We have very mixed feelings about the Quantum class based on reviews but might just go for it anyway. The obstructed balcony category is a lot less that the unobstructed. I'm wondering just how obstructed it is likely to be. Thoughts from anyone who booked this would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can search the threads for obstructed balcony, there are several and hopefully it can answer some of your questions. Some of the obstruction is just the lifeboat, where you can't see down but can see straight out and to the sides. Some obstruction is the lifeboat davits

We are booked on the Anthem for Thanksgiving. We booked cabin 6160 (obstructed) and the agent said it is the least obstructed cabin they have on board this ship. I thought for the amount we were going to save it was worth trying it. If we don't like it then we'll know for future cruises. Good luck with your decision.

The shots below shows the variance in the obstruction of DO balconies. Cabin 6560, the most forward DO on starboard side deck 6, has no boat in front and a davit to its right has the least obstruction. A balcony with two davits in front would have the view of the second shot which was taken from the Promenade one deck below on 5. The third shot is of the deck 7 and 8 DO balconies at the front which IMO have the best overall view but not location.

[ATTACH]382915[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]382917[/ATTACH]

1088231683_P1061008(358x208).jpg.f6bd45ab4508e5e40db4495693a522b4.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

We are booked on the Anthem for Thanksgiving. We booked cabin 6160 (obstructed) and the agent said it is the least obstructed cabin they have on board this ship. I thought for the amount we were going to save it was worth trying it. If we don't like it then we'll know for future cruises. Good luck with your decision.

We had 6160 on Anthem, no obstruction directly in front- only to the side. I did post pictures of the view from our balcony, but I'm afraid I don't know how to post a link directly to them. If you use the search function though- I'm sure you can get to them that way, if you wish.

Sally

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We booked an Obstructed Guarantee and received an upgrade to a D2 balcony. Score! We were going to book an OV, but the BL Guarantee was actually cheaper... and an obstructed balcony is much better than no balcony!

Edited by mpcaruth

we booked an obstructed guarantee and received an upgrade to a d2 balcony. Score! We were going to book an ov, but the bl guarantee was actually cheaper... And an obstructed balcony is much better than no balcony!

awesome!!!!!

I just got off Anthem and had cabin 6600 obstructed view. My wife and I always book balcony cabins because we love sitting out there and just looking at the sea. So..........

My honest opinion is that after a few days you get used to having to look over the lifeboats to see the ocean. One odd construction thing is that the lifeboats are actually on the promenade deck instead of hanging off like on other ships. This causes the cabins to be pushed back 15 feet or so from the side of the ship. No cabin on any deck is able to look straight down and see the ocean because of this design feature in the area where the five lifeboats are hanging. I think it is a really odd design. While in St. Maarten the Allure was docked across from us and their lifeboats hang off the side and are below the lowest balcony cabins, so they don't get in the way.

After spending ten days in this cabin I was disappointed that I couldn't really sit on the balcony and just zone out looking at the sea. The upside is that it cost us $900 less than a non-obstructed cabin, so it was worth the cost for me. I have to say that the more annoying feature of this cabin is that it is directly above the promenade deck and they have to keep the lights on all night in case someone wants to walk along the deck, so the light makes it almost impossible to sit on the balcony at night and look out because the ambient light pretty much blacks out the sea. Also, if light bothers you while sleeping you will need to keep the curtains closed.

In the future if I sail on Anthem again (which I think I will because it is an awesome ship) I will try to avoid an obstructed room if the cost isn't a factor. Hope this helps. Attached are two pictures I took while sitting on the balcony.

lifeboat1.jpg.a42c3aa61521ad4a69e81806ed1df2b8.jpg

lifeboat2.jpg.e03acd40278a6860bf336c900329c82f.jpg

We've just got off Ovation and had booked at balcony gty and ended up with 6690. It had a bigger balcony but a full lifeboat. The worst thing was the smoke coming up from the shelter below, it is infront of the cabin if going forward and there is nothing to stop the smoke drifting up. Even when it was windy you could smell it. And as stated above, the lights are quite bright. I think all Quantum class are the same.

• 6 months later...
We've just got off Ovation and had booked at balcony gty and ended up with 6690. It had a bigger balcony but a full lifeboat. The worst thing was the smoke coming up from the shelter below, it is infront of the cabin if going forward and there is nothing to stop the smoke drifting up. Even when it was windy you could smell it. And as stated above, the lights are quite bright. I think all Quantum class are the same.

Hi we have this same cabin in Dec,would you happen to have a photo of the balcony ?

Thanks Sharon

sweetred61@yahoo.com

The cabin was in a great location, most food and entertainment were located on deck 4 and 5. Diamond lounge was down one floor. We rarely used the elevators accept for a few occasions but never crowded since we were the opposite side away from the Windjammer and 270. The view was not bad we booked the same cabin for next year.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2407192

Chris

Edited by Batch5

Just realised you were the opposite side to us,we are above 270 and most of the dining areas,so I think the smoking area is below us.I am asthmatic hence the smoking issue,I do appreciate the photos and can cope with the"view".

Cheers for for the response

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sweetred61