Cool/Unique Souvenirs for those left back at home

E23NK1

Soooo...what cool / unique things have you bought or brought back from your cruise for that person back at home that's taking care of your pet(s), home, etc?

We are on Freedom doing Eastern Caribbean (Cococay,St Thomas, St Maarten) and are looking for some thoughts/ideas.

Thanks for your ideas.

St martin has jewelry native to its island called : Larimar - its a light blue stone and you will see it everywhere. Beware of the high end stores - they will be more expensive and you can find the same jewelry in the side shop. I always make sure the silver is stamped.

My wonderful neighbors dog-sit for me when I travel; I've brought back cigars, rum, coffee beans, a woven basket, a gorgeous scarf, a unique Christmas ornament, a picture frame (with a 'thank you' pic from my 7-yr old), and then other assorted silly things that the kid picked out that they probably immediately trashed lol.

St. Maarten has cloth dolls made by the locals that represent the dutch and french sides all in one doll. You flip the doll back and forth depending on which side you want to see,

These are really cool, but they aren't made by locals. I saw these in St Lucia and was told they were "made by locals" and then saw them several other places. Even though they are probably a mass made item from somewhere, they are still a unique thing to bring home for kids.

Id also suggest local spices (like jerk chicken spice in jamaica, vanilla from mexico, nutmeg from st lucia etc).

If you get up to Marigot (French side of St Martin/Sant Maarten), there is a flea market next to the fish market. This is where the ship came to rest in Speed 2. They sell local carvings made from a kind of nut that look like ivory. Unique and fairly inexpensive. Carved locally, because the young lady running the booth was working on them while we watched.

Edited by LeeW
more info

The person who takes care of our dog loves coffee, so we try to find varieties of local coffee for him. Last trip, he said the one from Dominican Rep was the best.

We also like to bring him a variety of local candies if we can find them.

He's only 20 so alcohol is out.

Edited by momof3cruisers

My wonderful neighbors dog-sit for me when I travel; I've brought back cigars, rum, coffee beans, a woven basket, a gorgeous scarf, a unique Christmas ornament, a picture frame (with a 'thank you' pic from my 7-yr old), and then other assorted silly things that the kid picked out that they probably immediately trashed lol.

I'd find out what their favorite drink was and get them a case of that, rather than a crappy gift they can't use IMHO.