Princess cruises as a solo cruiser

Muscovites

Hi there

Wonder if anyone can help. I would like to do the Hawaii cruise out of San Francisco, but would have to do it solo. Anyone any experience of cruising solo on Princess ships and/or any advice. Many thanks for any responses.

Isobel

Good Morning Isobel

I've actually done that very cruise as a solo. The lovely thing about a cruise is that there is always something that you can do if you want to and if you don't want to - you don't have to :)

Traveling solo is pretty subjective - I am a reader and a bit of an introvert so I take my kindle and sign up for anytime dining. I also try to get to the "Singles" get together - free champagne is free champagne.

I do it all the time and love it

the drawback is the price , twice the fare for a single and sometimes the promotions do not apply to singles

I meet people all the time on the ship tours, ship activities, anytime dining sharing a table and of course Crooners

also you get to elite status much faster given 2 cruise credits for a solo passenger

my next cruise in June to the Norwegian fiords ,its going to be great!

Hi,

I have always cruised solo on Princess and have never had a bad experience. It is the ultimate in self-indulgence and very relaxing. Just smile, be friendly, and you will meet an amazing assortment of interesting people. When you want some alone time, just move on and find a quiet spot. The BEST vacation option!

Have a great trip!

Hi,

I have taken many Princess cruises solo and always had a wonderful time. Because I received double credits for my solo cruises, I was able to reach the Elite level earlier. As mentioned above, there are many ways to meet people throughout the cruise. Some of the best places to meet people are in the dining room, shore excursions and trivia games. If you have a good attitude, you will have a great time. :)

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

When my husband passed away, I wondered if I would ever cruise again. We loved cruising together and had sailed on 35 Princess cruises.

Well, I did my first solo cruise in March . It worked out so well that I intend to continue. It's somewhat more difficult finding affordable solo deals, but it can be done. I have 3 future cruises booked!

I've done several solo Princess cruises.

Here are some pros

You get to use the shower ANY time you want and the floor will be dry.

You can play your ipod in your room without disturbing your travel mate.

You can let the TV run all night! (not too loud to disturb your neighbors)

You don't have to share the balcony which is a plus on the Regal/Royal.

You can use ALL the hangers and ALL the shelves and ALL the drawers and ALL the towels.

If you forget to flush the toilet, you won't get yelled at.

You can go to dinner whenever YOU are hungry.

You can wake up anytime you want.

No arguments on which cruise tour to take.

Want to wake up in the middle of the night and turn all the lights on, go ahead.

No snoring cabin mate. If you snore, try not to wake yourself up.

Ahh, you can use ALL the pillows.

It's easy to make "friends"

You can be involved with activities as much or as little as you want.

2 Cruise Credits YAY!

Price? Benefits for freedom in the room is worth paying double for me.

Personally, it really is "Come Back New" for me.

Oh, and looking forward to my summer Mediterranean cruise SOLO. :D

I've done several solo Princess cruises.

Here are some pros

You get to use the shower ANY time you want and the floor will be dry.

You can play your ipod in your room without disturbing your travel mate.

You can let the TV run all night! (not too loud to disturb your neighbors)

You don't have to share the balcony which is a plus on the Regal/Royal.

You can use ALL the hangers and ALL the shelves and ALL the drawers and ALL the towels.

If you forget to flush the toilet, you won't get yelled at.

You can go to dinner whenever YOU are hungry.

You can wake up anytime you want.

No arguments on which cruise tour to take.

Want to wake up in the middle of the night and turn all the lights on, go ahead.

No snoring cabin mate. If you snore, try not to wake yourself up.

Ahh, you can use ALL the pillows.

It's easy to make "friends"

You can be involved with activities as much or as little as you want.

2 Cruise Credits YAY!

Price? Benefits for freedom in the room is worth paying double for me.

Personally, it really is "Come Back New" for me.

Oh, and looking forward to my summer Mediterranean cruise SOLO. :D

I totally agree with all of these. I always travel by myself and I love it. Not having to share the bathroom with anyone is great. Also getting a table for two (by yourself), is a great way to have dinner. I take my iPad with me to all meals and read through my meals. Plus if you'd like, you can always ask another solo cruiser to share your table.

I will sail my first solo with Princess in January 2017 but I have done 3 solos with RCCL and have another solo booked for November on RCCL.

ON my 1st solo, I was very upset when I 1st got on - you know whoa is me I'm all alone. Then I finally said to myself "it's your vacation and if you want to be miserable you will be - it's up to me and only me to have a good time".

Sailing solo is GREAT!!

I've cruised once princess solo and several times on carnival. While I love cruising with family and friends cruising solo is a special treat. It's all about me! Also I love the alone time when I feel like it. I never get to be alone in everyday life.

When are you thinking of going? I'm on the 10/29 sailing?

I prefer traveling with someone who likes taking pictures...of me. Meaning multiple pictures with the same background in case the first picture ended up goofy. Selfies and selfie stick pictures just don't cut it for me. And I need pictures from head to toe-especially in the evening. One of the reasons I cruise is to dress up.

But cruising solo is enjoyable.

Edited by midlevel_curator

I love it for all the reasons stated above. My current booking is also currently a solo cruise. I'm kind of hoping none of my friends decide to come with me ;)

One suggestion is to join the roll-call for your cruise. You can "pre-meet" people that way so being alone is so overwhelming.

Cheers,

Deb

Sorry for minor thread hijack.....I'm off on my first solo cruise this September and am very looking forward to it. It is, technically, a b2b but also sold as a 14 day cruise which is how I booked. So will I be getting 4 cruise credits (2 per leg) or only 2 since I booked as a 14?

Thanks for info [emoji4]

Sorry for minor thread hijack.....I'm off on my first solo cruise this September and am very looking forward to it. It is, technically, a b2b but also sold as a 14 day cruise which is how I booked. So will I be getting 4 cruise credits (2 per leg) or only 2 since I booked as a 14?

Thanks for info [emoji4]

I've read a number of posts here that suggest you should get 2 credits for each leg. You can contact the Princess Circle Host (Captain's Circle Host?) onboard to make sure this happens or you can wait and see. If you decide to wait and find you didn't get credit for both segments contact customer service to have it corrected.

Pam in CA can give you much better info than I can. She's a well known solo cruiser. :)

Edited by Thrak

I've read a number of posts here that suggest you should get 2 credits for each leg. You can contact the Princess Circle Host (Captain's Circle Host?) onboard to make sure this happens or you can wait and see. If you decide to wait and find you didn't get credit for both segments contact customer service to have it corrected.

Pam in CA can give you much better info than I can. She's a well known solo cruiser. :)

It's my understanding that if the cruise was booked as a single 14-day cruise (you'd have a single booking number), you'd get two credits. If you have two booking numbers, you'd get two credits for each number.

Hi there

Wonder if anyone can help. I would like to do the Hawaii cruise out of San Francisco, but would have to do it solo. Anyone any experience of cruising solo on Princess ships and/or any advice. Many thanks for any responses.

Isobel

Yes, I've done many cruises solo on Princess as well as every major line. Not only is cruising a wonderful vacation it is perfect for solo cruisers. You will have many opportunities to meet other wonderful and friendly passengers if you get out of your cabin and participate in the many on board activities. If does mean get out of your comfort zone and doing things you might not normally do. You will have some alone time and that is perfectly normal. Bring things to keep you occupied like a good book, cross word puzzles, Ipod, magazines, etc. Believe me no one care if you are cruising solo. I would advise most solos to arrange your dining in traditional fixed seating - large table of 6-8 which gives you the opportunity to dine with the same people every night and bond in friendship over the course of the voyage. However, if you prefer to dine when you feel like it you can do "Flexible Dining;" however you might either end up dining alone or sitting with new strangers each night and dealing with the same small talk each night. It's just a matter or personal preference. Both have pros and cons. Also, learn everything about the ship and the ports and plan, plan, plan. Start of book note and write down things you want to do on the ship and in port. If you have a general idea/plan then the cruise won't feel so overwhelming. There is a lot of resource about cruise on the internet so read as much as you can. Happy cruising.

Edited by COMBOY

Excellent news. Thank you.

I assume I can also get my TA to ask?

Your TA should be able to verify. This is from info on my Princess booking:

Princess Captain’s Circle desk princess.com or 1-800-PRINCESS, option 7