Confusing Roll Calls

TwoCruisers

If you don't wish to participate in a roll call that covers several sailings,

then don't.

If you wish to participate in a roll call that covers a shorter segment,

if there isn't one, create it, and then do so.

What's the problem?

I was involved with a combined TA/Baltic cruise. The first Roll Call was set up by someone who had booked both the TA and the Baltic cruise as one cruise and they set up the Roll Call that way. Subsequently another person set up a Roll Call for the TA and there were two separate Roll Calls for the Baltic cruise. The result was a disaster. The combined Roll Call had already set up a M&G by the time the TA Roll Call was started and they tried to set up a separate M&G just for them. It was a mess trying to follow the private tours.

It is CC guideline to have only one Roll Call per departure date of the shortest cruise. People should play nice and follow the CC guidelines. That can potentially avoid problems in the future.

I was involved with a combined TA/Baltic cruise. The first Roll Call was set up by someone who had booked both the TA and the Baltic cruise as one cruise and they set up the Roll Call that way. Subsequently another person set up a Roll Call for the TA and there were two separate Roll Calls for the Baltic cruise. The result was a disaster. The combined Roll Call had already set up a M&G by the time the TA Roll Call was started and they tried to set up a separate M&G just for them. It was a mess trying to follow the private tours.

It is CC guideline to have only one Roll Call per departure date of the shortest cruise. People should play nice and follow the CC guidelines. That can potentially avoid problems in the future.

Many years ago I was on a different TA followed by a Baltic cruise & since there were no roll calls for the first time I began a roll call for each cruise. Later another roll call was started by another passenger as a combined TA/Baltic cruise.

It was very confusing so we both agreed to only keep the combined roll call active which worked best particularly since many passengers were sailing on both cruises. Fortunately this was well before the cruise but the moderators wouldn't delete the separate roll calls. Instead I subscribed to the separate roll calls I started to refer passengers to the active roll call for the combined cruise. Even if someone was only sailing one segment it worked best to have one roll call to organize things such as both of the M&G and tours.

Based on the CC guideline it should have been a roll call for each cruise however for our cruise it worked best by having a combined roll call.

Edited by Astro Flyer

For this example I would suggest just one Roll Call for the FLL to Southampton cruise. The first three days from Houston to FLL are not being sold as a separate segment and the majority of the passengers will probably be boarding in FLL. Other than setting up a M&G, I doubt there would be anything on the first three days. Everyone will be on the FLL to Southampton and use one common Roll Call for everyone.

In this case a single roll call for the entire TA was set up and included those boarding in Texas and Florida.

I do not know if the roll call is representative of all passengers, but 60% of the roll call names are boarding in Houston and 40% boarding in Fort Launderdale.

It is an active roll call with over 6000 posts with 440 people represented by the 223 Cruise Critic names. And yes, there are some activities on the first three days as well as planning for what to do on shore on that day in Fort Lauderdale.

And there have been no posts by the Fort Lauderdale boarders complaining about the number of posts that mainly concern those on the first three days from Houston. However, there have been posts indicating envy for the Houston folk who get to enjoy the extra three days of cruising on a ship that will not be crowded at all.

Edited by caribill

In this case a single roll call for the entire TA was set up and included those boarding in Texas and Florida.

I do not know if the roll call is representative of all passengers, but 60% of the roll call names are boarding in Houston and 40% boarding in Fort Launderdale.

It is an active roll call with over 6000 posts with 440 people represented by the 223 Cruise Critic names. And yes, there are some activities on the first three days as well as planning for what to do on shore on that day in Fort Lauderdale.

And there have been no posts by the Fort Lauderdale boarders complaining about the number of posts that mainly concern those on the first three days from Houston. However, there have been posts indicating envy for the Houston folk who get to enjoy the extra three days of cruising on a ship that will not be crowded at all.

Whether starting in Houston or FLL, having only one Roll Call as you have is the best way to handle this type of cruise.