Travel insurance question

Do you have a favorite vendor from whom you purchase your travel insurance? We would like to buy from someone who is easy to read and easy to decipher the pros and the cons. Who do you use and do you cover your land portion as well as the cruise portion? We will be staying in Barcelona 5 days before our Transatlantic in October.

Thanks in advance.

John

Do you have a favorite vendor from whom you purchase your travel insurance? We would like to buy from someone who is easy to read and easy to decipher the pros and the cons. Who do you use and do you cover your land portion as well as the cruise portion? We will be staying in Barcelona 5 days before our Transatlantic in October.

Thanks in advance.

John

I would check these sites:

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

You may want to first check your personal Health Insurance to see if it includes (adequate) out-of-country coverage and the Credit Card used to pay for the cruise/airfare to see if it includes (usually) minimal trip cancellation and lost/damaged/delayed baggage coverage.

Ideally you'll purchase insurance w/in 14-21 days of booking so as to get "waiver of pre-existing conditions" included AND to be able to optionally purchase "cancel for any reason" coverage.

If you're USAA member you can get their policies at something of a discount and with some increased coverages.

You may want to compare policies for features like cancellation for business reasons, cancellation for kids school schedule change, kids insured free with adults, etc.

Ken

Good advice given so far. In the end you just have to read through the policies. The insurance websites usually have a way to compare products generally and then, once you narrow it down, you can read those policies more fully. Watch out for things like how long your luggage/ flight must be delayed and if they cover mechanical breakdowns as well as many other details. Spend some time reading as all policies are a little different.

Edited by marci22

I've gone through USAA for seven years now for all our travel that warrants trip insurance. I've made a claim for a "cancel for any reason" once and for a (really stupid on my part) car accident once. Once I submitted the paperwork I was completely reimbursed in both cases without any further issues.

I've gone through USAA for seven years now for all our travel that warrants trip insurance. I've made a claim for a "cancel for any reason" once and for a (really stupid on my part) car accident once. Once I submitted the paperwork I was completely reimbursed in both cases without any further issues.

Great....we are USAA members. I never thought to consider them for trip insurance.

Thank you all for your advise.

John

We've used Nationwide since we have auto and homeowners with them. The options for coverage and cost are clearly described in tables on their website and the purchase can be completed online. We called them the first time and the individual we talked to was very helpful in deciding which plan to choose. We have never had to use it, but now that one of us is on Medicare, having travel insurance is a must when we are out of the country.

Here is a website that helped us break down the coverages that travel insurance providers offer:

http://travel-insurance-review.toptenreviews.com/

We bought the CSA TRAVEL PROTECTION (http://www.csatravelprotection.com) after comparing for a cruise vacation and its #1 rated. I think CSA is also the insurance provider behind USAA but you should ask them.