Nautica disembarkation Mumbai

COSH

After a wonderful cruise from Hong Kong, I have to say how unimpressed I was with the manner in which we disembarked in Mumbai.

Once we had left the gangplank, Oceania staff were invisible ! We were left to fight for places on the very small shuttle buses that ferried us to the port exit. There should have been Oceania staff organising buses and there certainly should have been Oceania staff at the customs office providing water and shade to those who appeared to be wilting in the heat. We had to queue for 45 minutes in temperatures nearing 100 degrees Farenheit with no representative in attendance. Lessons need to be learned and I hope Oceania address such issues in the future.

After a wonderful cruise from Hong Kong, I have to say how unimpressed I was with the manner in which we disembarked in Mumbai.

Once we had left the gangplank, Oceania staff were invisible ! We were left to fight for places on the very small shuttle buses that ferried us to the port exit. There should have been Oceania staff organising buses and there certainly should have been Oceania staff at the customs office providing water and shade to those who appeared to be wilting in the heat. We had to queue for 45 minutes in temperatures nearing 100 degrees Farenheit with no representative in attendance. Lessons need to be learned and I hope Oceania address such issues in the future.

Since Nautica destination services has to do this -- I can believe it.

We came back from Agra at Mumbai and had the same thing in the opposite direction happen. We were left hanging at the gate waiting to be inspected with no one from O to assist us.

Yes, I fully understand the port authorities control the process of entering and leaving the designated areas, however, I think you are missing my point. Oceania had no members of staff assisting passengers onto shuttle buses or worse still, were nowhere to be seen at the shuttle drop off point where we had to stand in line for 45 minutes. They should provide duty of care until passengers actually pass through customs. Some elderly passengers were clearly distressed due to the heat and lack of shade etc. How difficult would it be for Oceania to provide 3 or 4 members of staff to attend such areas ensuring everyone is looked after. Very poor on their behalf.

Yes, I fully understand the port authorities control the process of entering and leaving the designated areas, however, I think you are missing my point. Oceania had no members of staff assisting passengers onto shuttle buses or worse still, were nowhere to be seen at the shuttle drop off point where we had to stand in line for 45 minutes. They should provide duty of care until passengers actually pass through customs. Some elderly passengers were clearly distressed due to the heat and lack of shade etc. How difficult would it be for Oceania to provide 3 or 4 members of staff to attend such areas ensuring everyone is looked after. Very poor on their behalf.

Do you mean that holding their hands would make the 45 minutes seem shorter or less hot? Should they have held individual umbrellas for the people to keep them cool?

I am not sure what their presence could have done to speed up the "customs procedure" that is entirely under the control of the officials (who typically enjoy their 15 minutes of fame :D)

Water is free on the ship and each person is free (even encouraged) to take some water with them when leaving the ship in hot climates - I do, even when disembarking, not just for shore excursions.

Passengers are assumed to be responsible adults, not kindergarten children.

It would have taken no less of an authority than a captain to control unruly passengers boarding a shuttle bus - a mere mortal Oceania staff member would have been ignored. Again, adult behavior by passengers is assumed but not always present. We have all seen these chaotic scenes on the disembarkation levels within the ship itself with plenty of staff around and passengers just ignoring their instructions and showing their way to the exit door.

Fault of Oceania or the unruly passengers?

Edited by Paulchili

Not sure if they could. In many ports there are restrictions on where cruise line personnel can be. Usually once you reach an area under control of immigration/customs the only personnel allowed are those that are part of the process either working for or being cleared.

Do you mean that holding their hands would make the 45 minutes seem shorter or less hot? Should they have held individual umbrellas for the people to keep them cool?

I am not sure what their presence could have done to speed up the "customs procedure" that is entirely under the control of the officials (who typically enjoy their 15 minutes of fame :D)

Water is free on the ship and each person is free (even encouraged) to take some water with them when leaving the ship in hot climates - I do, even when disembarking, not just for shore excursions.

Passengers are assumed to be responsible adults, not kindergarten children.

It would have taken no less of an authority than a captain to control unruly passengers boarding a shuttle bus - a mere mortal Oceania staff member would have been ignored. Again, adult behavior by passengers is assumed but not always present. We have all seen these chaotic scenes on the disembarkation levels within the ship itself with plenty of staff around and passengers just ignoring their instructions and showing their way to the exit door.

Fault of Oceania or the unruly passengers?

No, I don't expect anyone to 'hold their hands ' etc for 45 minutes, or hold individual umbrellas. I have not suggested that any Oceania presence would have 'speeded up the procedure' either. I have merely suggested that Oceania could, and should have done more to ensure a smoother dockside departure for passengers and ensure that they were taken better care of, simple as that.

Obviously, you are very pro Oceania and will have nothing said against them.

My post is constructive criticism, your reply is sarcasm, and not at its best I may add.

I have merely suggested that Oceania could, and should have done more to ensure a smoother dockside departure for passengers and ensure that they were taken better care of, simple as that.

My post is constructive criticism.....

To be truly constructive, as you claim to be, it would be more helpful if you could be more specific in your suggestions as to what exactly they should have done to help the situation rather than just state that they "should have done more to ensure a smoother dockside departure for passengers and ensure that they were taken better care of".

Hopefully your suggestions can actually be accomplished rather than just being a wishlist, given the limitations and rules imposed by the local port authority.