Panama Canal Partial Transit

dave_k58

The Panama Canal is also on my bucket list, but I think i'm going to hold out for a full transit cruise.

The new set of locks are scheduled to open on June 26. Once they do, every Carnival ship(including the Vista) will be able to use it.

Unlike Royal Caribbean who newer ship exceed the Post Panamax size, Carnival has seem to have keep all of is new ships just under the maximum size of the new locks.

Now this is just my opinion, but I'm guessing Carnival will be moving lager ships to the west coat. The only reason I don't think they have scheduled them yet is the constant delays and uncertainty of the new locks completion dates. After all it's originally was scheduled to open a long time ago.

The pride cruise, may carnival way of testing the waters.

Edited by wo5m

The Panama Canal is also on my bucket list, but I think i'm going to hold out for a full transit cruise.

The new set of locks are scheduled to open on June 26. Once they do, every Carnival ship(including the Vista) will be able to use it.

Unlike Royal Caribbean who newer ship exceed the Post Panamax size, Carnival has seem to have keep all of is new ships just under the maximum size of the new locks.

Now this is just my opinion, but I'm guessing Carnival will be moving lager ships to the west coat. The only reason I don't think they have scheduled them yet is the constant delays and uncertainty of the new locks completion dates. After all it's originally was scheduled to open a long time ago.

THanks for the helpful information. Looks like both cruises are selling pretty well. PS - I wish they would do one out of Galveston so I could save the airfare lol

Edited by dave_k58

We have done a partial passage on Princess. It was an excellent experience. They provide a great narration all the way through the locks and then you spend the day in Gatune Lake. We loved this trip.

The Pride was a west coast ship for a while. It's very expensive for Carnival and Princess to go through the canal. I would want to know the price for a balcony. With the new canal opening, it will always be the cost to factor in.

I have done a partial transit on Princess, which was fabulous. While a full transit is nice, I'm sure, it's not really necessary. You can do an excursion where you take a ferry (about 100 passengers) through the remaining locks from Gatun Lake.. Being on a small boat gives you such a different perspective on going through the canal. In fact, you can actually touch the sides of the canal while standing on this small boat. I enjoyed this excursion more than I would have enjoyed going through the whole canal on a cruise ship.

I have done a partial transit on Princess, which was fabulous. While a full transit is nice, I'm sure, it's not really necessary. You can do an excursion where you take a ferry (about 100 passengers) through the remaining locks from Gatun Lake.. Being on a small boat gives you such a different perspective on going through the canal. In fact, you can actually touch the sides of the canal while standing on this small boat. I enjoyed this excursion more than I would have enjoyed going through the whole canal on a cruise ship.

Sounds like a fantastic experience

Carnival will not be offering any excursions from Gatun Lake on these partial transits. Then have cancelled the Panama stop at Cartagena and replaced it with the partial transit. In order to offer the excursions, they have to tender the guests ashore and then go back out through the locks and dock in Colon to pick them up, Since they are not calling at Colon, no excursions. We are on the cruise from Tampa, and it is essentially sold out although final payment is not until Nov, and I would expect some movement between now and then. EM

Carnival will not be offering any excursions from Gatun Lake on these partial transits. Then have cancelled the Panama stop at Cartagena and replaced it with the partial transit. In order to offer the excursions, they have to tender the guests ashore and then go back out through the locks and dock in Colon to pick them up, Since they are not calling at Colon, no excursions. We are on the cruise from Tampa, and it is essentially sold out although final payment is not until Nov, and I would expect some movement between now and then. EM

I noticed that. Suites sold out. hardly any balconies. I think there may be a market for this out of Galveston.

We took the Pride repo cruise last year from Tampa to Baltimore and have booked it again for next year. Wonderful cruise! We enjoyed all the ports and the canal was amazing. Feel free to ask any questions

I had heard something about a train ride over to the other coast and returning to the ship. I guess I must have heard it wrong, or it was another cruise line.

We took the Pride repo cruise last year from Tampa to Baltimore and have booked it again for next year. Wonderful cruise! We enjoyed all the ports and the canal was amazing. Feel free to ask any questions

I am glad to hear that you went on the cruise already, I am booked for the Jan 2 2017 repositioning out of Baltimore. Initially, the ship was stopping at Colon Panama but now I see it says partial transit, no stops or getting off.

I'm disappointed and I wanted to get at least a few panama canal souvenirs.

Am I making a big deal about nothing?

Any comments and suggestions you have I am thankful to hear.

I am glad to hear that you went on the cruise already, I am booked for the Jan 2 2017 repositioning out of Baltimore. Initially, the ship was stopping at Colon Panama but now I see it says partial transit, no stops or getting off.

We took an excursion to the canal and watched ships pass through and visited an Indian village, which was a unique experience, when we were in Colon on the repo cruise. We wanted to experience actually sailing through the canal, and revisit many of the ports on this itinerary, because you can never do it all on any cruise! Hence we are doing this cruise again. Will you feel like you missed something? I think there is so much to see & experience it will be memorable. Have a wonderful cruise!

we are also on this cruise!:) you will not be disappointed. we are also looking forward to Cartagena. we havn't been there. it will be a great cruise!:)