Gastineau Guiding with Nugget Falls?

Devinlad

I have been researching companies that offer whale watching tours in Juneau and am really drawn to Gastineau due to the size and setup of their vessels. However, I really would like to take the Nugget Falls trail while at Mendenhall and so far it looks like their tours usually take other trails.

Does anyone have experience with this tour provider doing this trail?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Edited by Devinlad

Not sure what you are thinking. But, what exactly are you looking at with the "other trail" mention?? Simply - all you need is enough TIME, and either a drop off or pick up at Mendenhall Glacier, needing at least an hour, (better with 2) at Mendenhall.

You don't go there with anyone, you follow the path and go yourself, which is the same- with ANY trail there. They are all clearly marked, pick where you want to go, and go.

I was on a Gastineau Whale Watch & Mendenhall Photo safari... are you looking at the same tour? http://www.stepintoalaska.com/excursions/whale-watching-mendenhall-glacier-photo-safari

The photo safari went through Mendenhall's "Trail of Time". When it was over... there was 15 minutes at the visitor center before the bus returns to the dock.

If your tour echo's my experience.... you could abandon the return bus and go on the Nugget falls trails for an hour. Returning on one of those crowded last shuttles of the day.

I was on a Gastineau Whale Watch & Mendenhall Photo safari... are you looking at the same tour? http://www.stepintoalaska.com/excursions/whale-watching-mendenhall-glacier-photo-safari

The photo safari went through Mendenhall's "Trail of Time". When it was over... there was 15 minutes at the visitor center before the bus returns to the dock.

If your tour echo's my experience.... you could abandon the return bus and go on the Nugget falls trails for an hour. Returning on one of those crowded last shuttles of the day.

It amazes me, that a "photo" tour, wastes the time and "highlights" the Trail of Time?? It's a walk through woods with no glacier view. I'm a believer, that skills need a lot more time and practice than a "tour" can provide. :) It's already a costly tour- with the above suggestion of staying later, the price really is up there. An alternative, that would offer you a superb photography opportunity would be Photo Point and Nugget Falls trails.

Practice with your camera at home, most important- read and understand the dynamics of composition, and exposures. Practice techniques.

I know you can walk trails and look at scenery on your own, but I have always found that I enjoy having a guide explain the history and the "story" of what I am seeing rather than just walking and randomly looking at scenery. As I understand the photography tour, there are photography experts who help with getting the best pictures possible. As Alaska is, for some, a once in a lifetime experience, I am interested in learning as much as I can while there. At the end of the "Trail of time" they do take you to an overlook for views of the glacier.

I know you can walk trails and look at scenery on your own, but I have always found that I enjoy having a guide explain the history and the "story" of what I am seeing rather than just walking and randomly looking at scenery. As I understand the photography tour, there are photography experts who help with getting the best pictures possible. As Alaska is, for some, a once in a lifetime experience, I am interested in learning as much as I can while there. At the end of the "Trail of time" they do take you to an overlook for views of the glacier.

http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/regions/alaska/MendenhallGlacier/

Here is the "story" to get you started.

We took the photo excursion a couple of years ago, and we got a lot out of it. Our photographer/instructor was from Juneau was very personable and approachable. He talked photography on the van on the way to the whale watch boat and helped us with specific questions throughout the tour.

The walk through the woods after the whale watch was gorgeous:

Juneau%20Photo%20Tour4-S.jpg

We even saw a porcupine in a tree:

Juneau%20Photo%20Tour2-S.jpg

You'll get a nice view of Mendenhall Glacier before you leave:

Juneau%20Mendenhall%20Glacier-S.jpg

Thank you everyone for your advice so far.

Budget Queen, Gastineau offers two combo tours that include whale watching and a guided walk at Mendenhall. They are the Photo Safari one mentioned above and the "Alaska's Whales, Glaciers & Rainforest Trails" tour. However, neither tour offers the Nugget Falls trail from what I have been able to find so far.

xlxo, thank you. I ended up emailing the provider and they also suggested we could do this. It may well be our solution. The only difficulty is whether this would get us back to the ship too late to dine in the MDR and have to go to the Lido instead as we arrive in Juneau at 1pm (we're so hard done by).

blueridgemama, I totally agree. Having context specific information from locals who are passionate about the surrounding area is definitely a bonus to the experience. That is why I was trying to figure out how we could go with the guide and also get Nugget Falls in. It looks like such an awesome spot its hard to believe they don't take you there instead. I'm guessing they have their reasons.

Cruise more often, thanks for sharing some of your shots from the excursion. I quite enjoyed your capture of the porcupine.

Again, thanks all for your feedback.

Devinlad--just wanted to chime in that I was looking for/hoping for the exact same excursion you were (Gastineau plus Nugget falls hike). I liked the idea of the small (but not tiny) stabilized boat plus the photography guidance by someone local. However, I am really wanting to hike to Nugget Falls, and our time is somewhat limited with a late Juneau arrival (2:00 p.m.). So we are leaning toward booking with Rum Runners--they have small (6 person) boats, and we are a group of 6. Reviews on TripAdvisor are quite good, and Captain Chris has answered all my e-mails promptly. His suggestion was for him to help us hire a car service to take us to Mendenhall. We would have 1.5 hours to spend at Mendenhall which should be enough for a Nugget Falls hike plus a little extra time to explore, and then Rum Runners would pick us up and drive us to the boat dock for a 2.5 hour whale watching excursion. No photography guidance and a somewhat smaller boat (still with a heated cabin, windows that open, and a bathroom on board). Hopefully no one will get motion sick!

Just wanted to share our alternate idea with you in case it is helpful. Price is right, too--very reasonable for a party of 6 (probabably about half of what Gastineau charges, but in their defense, they are spending more time with you).

Thanks for the alternate idea lmintzer! We will definitely consider it in making our decision on who to book with.

I also got confirmation from Gastineau today that if we book their 1:30 tour we would finish at Mendenhall and could stay there and find our own way back, which we are also considering.

We will have to look into how late the shuttle runs that day for transportation back.

Cheers!

Update for OP and anyone this might help: in the end, we decided to book Gastineau Guiding through NCL. Reading about potential problems with disembarkation in Juneau and the possibility of being late to port (with another NCL ship in before us) was enough to convince me. Although I have some regrests about forgoeing the small, private, 6 person whale trip Rum Runner's, I didn't want to have to worry about being left with little to no time at Mendenhall at all. A 2:00 p.m. port arrival in Juneau is tough if you want to focus on more than one tour/place!

Gastineau Guiding recommended that we book the 2:30 p.m. tour which will be whales first, Mendenhall 2nd. Because the tour is booked through the cruise ship, we should get off priority disembarkment. Once at Mendenhall, we have the option of staying on, after the Trail of Time, to hike to Nugget Falls on our own. This would be from 7-8 p.m., so we would have to arrange our own transportation back. The Gastineau rep seemed to think shuttles will run this late, as long as cruise ships are still in port (this is contrary to what I've read on these boards). But for a group of 6, a big cab would probably be more economical. (I have a feeling some if not all members of my family will be too hungry/tired to stay on, but at least we have the option, and we can decide right then and there.)

Hope that helps some with their decision making. And really hope we have made the best choice for us. Two of the six of us really love photography. Hoping my kids aren't bored on the Trail of Time. I am convinced that booking this way will keep stress levels down not worrying about getting off the ship on time and needing to rush.

It amazes me, that a "photo" tour, wastes the time and "highlights" the Trail of Time?? It's a walk through woods with no glacier view. I'm a believer, that skills need a lot more time and practice than a "tour" can provide. :) It's already a costly tour- with the above suggestion of staying later, the price really is up there. An alternative, that would offer you a superb photography opportunity would be Photo Point and Nugget Falls trails.

Practice with your camera at home, most important- read and understand the dynamics of composition, and exposures. Practice techniques.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I've taken this tour three times, and will continue to do so. Granted, I'm not doing it for photo tips, I'm doing it for opportunities: smaller pax count than their other tours (though on a boat that's a lot more stable than Harv&Marv and the other operators who capture market share "because" they have smaller boats) so less contention for window space, etc., and it goes places where there's a diverse assortment of things to use as teaching opportunities. You're right that it's tough to get a lot of teaching out of a group tour that lasts 3-4 hours, but it's enough to point people in the right direction, and it's so much more practical than sitting in the stock room of a camera store listening to someone babble about aperture, sync speed, full auto, zzzz.

I'm also not going to argue over actual price - I'm sure you know which whale watch vendors you prefer. However, at least through Princess, the "Photo Safari" (JNU-700) is the exact same price as the non-photo-safari twin, JNU-705, which does the same basic two things (whale watch, Mendenhall Glacier) with bus transport between the three points, albeit on a 20-pax boat/group instead of a 14-pax boat/group. As such, if you think it's a costly tour, cool, but I find it the ideal opportunity to get great photos from our trip. Since we're not looking to the guide for photo tips, that leaves the guide with more time to assist the other <=12 pax with their questions, so it's all good.