Advice for a day in Hamilton (sort of)

sayla27

Arriving on the BA April 27. On the 28th, DH and two DDs and I plan to take the ferry to Hamilton in the morning and then a bus to BAMZ. We plan to head back to Hamilton around noon so DH can head back to Dockyard to meet up with fishing charter. DDs and I plan to have lunch and shop in Hamilton.

I'm also interested in seeing Gibbs Lighthouse. How far is it by bus to the Lighthouse? I know it's a matter of opinion, but is this a worthwhile use of time? If we go should we go back to Hamilton to get a ferry back to the dockyard or should we take a bus back from the Lighthouse location?

TIA for any advice / assistance.

Have you been following the new transportation policy for the Dockyard? If not, please read this tread titled - No tokens and only One Day Passes to be Sold at the Dockyard in 2016.

The new policy has caused frustration for the recent cruise ship passengers at the Dockyard. Read the Royal Gazette article.

My question is what time is your husband's fishing charter? According to the 2015 ferry schedule, the Hamilton > Dockyard ferry departs on the :00 - ...11,12,1,2..., and the ferry ride is about 20 minutes. It is about a 20 minute bus ride from BAMZ to Hamilton.

BAMZ opens at 9AM. The first ferry departs the Dockyard for Hamilton at 7:30AM and the next at 9AM. How early will you leave the Dockyard?

You do the math; a lot depends on what the start time of the fishing charter is for it to be worthwhile for your husband to visit Hamilton and BAMZ.

For you no such problem. It is about a 30 minute bus ride (route #7 bus) from Hamilton to Gibbs, and then a 30 minute bus ride from Gibbs to the Dockyard on the route #7 bus.

I will climb a lighthouse whenever I can. So a visit to Gibbs is worthwhile (to me). Will you climb it? or is it just a photo op?

If you have read the thread first mentioned and linked to, you will buy your tokens while in Hamilton, factor in a wait time. Also, I have not included a lunch break for your husband.

SBtS

I'm also interested in seeing Gibbs Lighthouse. How far is it by bus to the Lighthouse? I know it's a matter of opinion, but is this a worthwhile use of time? If we go should we go back to Hamilton to get a ferry back to the dockyard or should we take a bus back from the Lighthouse location?

TIA for any advice / assistance.

If you climb to the top I think it is worthwhile. The view is great. You get a 360 degree view of a large part of Bermuda.

796d33c8d5d299de16080d8759f7d413.jpg

5a39e97ba31b847b119b8b28057aca45.jpg

SBts - thanks for your response. Yes, I have read the other link every day for the past week. Definitely putting a bit of a wrinkle in my plans.

For that day I plan to get the one day pass - part economical, part convenience.

We plan to take the 7:30 am ferry to be at BAMZ by 9:00 am opening. My husband's fishing charter leaves the dockyard at 2 pm. I'm figuring he can leave BAMZ around 11:00-ish to grab a bus and make the 12 pm ferry. This should give him plenty of time to change and grab a bite to eat. It's a private fishing charter with his friends so I don't think they will leave without him [emoji12].

We definitely plan to climb the lighthouse. I want to see those amazing views.

Now, I'm wondering if we should go to the Lighthouse before shopping. Not sure I want to carry bags all the way to the top of the lighthouse - decisions, decisions!!!