Port of Miami

suesue25

I will be flying in to FLL and cruising out of port of Miami and needing the best options for transportation . I will have a day before cruise and a couple days after. Would it make sense to rent a car and park at port so I will have my own transportation ?

It is commonly recommended here, if you fly into FLL and sail from Miami, to get a hotel, (taxi to hotel) and shuttle (like the commonly recommended SAS, QLS, Jiffy Jeff, GO Shuttle) to the port.

Afterwards, renting a car is fine. But to rent it for one day, then pay for parking for the duration of the cruise, just to use it for two days seems like a big waste of money.

You can rent a car for a day from Alamo at Fll and drop it off the next morning at MIA. They have a complimentary shuttle to the cruise port. Then, do the opposite on the way back, shuttle to MIA, pick up your rental, and drop off at FLl. Rates are usually pretty low for this.

It is commonly recommended here, if you fly into FLL and sail from Miami, to get a hotel, (taxi to hotel) and shuttle (like the commonly recommended SAS, QLS, Jiffy Jeff, GO Shuttle) to the port.

Afterwards, renting a car is fine. But to rent it for one day, then pay for parking for the duration of the cruise, just to use it for two days seems like a big waste of money.

I would also recommend one of these options. Unless you truly think you need a car for the time you are in Florida. I sure wouldn't want to pay to park a rental car all day.

NOOOOOOO!

Whoever answered your phone call misunderstood - FLL is a 45-60+ minute drive from POM; they might shuttle to Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, but not to POM.

Follow the advice above - stay near FLL (http://www.sunny.org is a good place to start your search) and shuttle to POM the morning of your cruise for about $15 (check SAS, QLS, Go Airport, MJS and others).

Post cruise, if you need a car you can taxi to downtown Miami car rental offices for about $12 (Avis, Hertz, etc.) if they do not shuttle. National, Alamo & Thrifty (and maybe Enterprise) offer a free shuttle form POM to their MIA airport location; if you get a good deal from another agency at the MIA airport a taxi will cost $27+tip -- the fare covers the cab, so pair up with others from your roll call heading to MIA.

Budget is another option with shuttles from downtown Miami to POM and return. You might be able to hop on one when returning, to save the cost of a taxi, but a taxi would be quicker and you might beat the line at Budget.

As others have said here, unless you are landing in FLL early and want to drive around the area, just book a hotel with a shuttle from FLL tot he hotel and then SAS or another shuttle company from the hotel to POM. If you are planning on using a car while in FLL, then rent for 1 day with drop off at a downtown Miami location, not MIA. There are no one way surcharges in Florida for Florida locations. Just be mindful of using any toll roads as many, if not all, use license plate tolling and you'll be billed later with an extra charge from the rental company. I-95 from FLL to POM is toll free, BTW.

Edited by crewsweeper

Alamo offers free shuttle from MIA.. Rent the car from FLL and drop off at MIA. Then you take their shuttle to cruise port.

Reserve a rental for after cruise from MIA drop off FLL. Print your reservation so after cruise you can show driver at cruise port. They will shuttle you from cruise port back to MIA to pick up your rental.