Lifts on britannia

TORTY2

Am a bit worried about the negative comments I've read about the lifts on Britannia. We've cruised frequently and there's very often a problem waiting for lifts but I'm wondering if it's a bigger problem on Britannia. From past experiences, ships need more lifts rather than less. Being a wheelchair user, lifts are vital, I don't have the option of walking up/down stairs so is it a bigger problem on Britannia than other ships. I have to say I really don't understand young able bodied people waiting for lifts to go up or down a flight or 2 of stairs which I've often seen. It seems madness to me when they could get to their destination quicker as well as working off some of the extra calories gained through the voyage. Sorry that might sound a bit bitter, I don't mean it to, probably just a slight case of envy wishing I had the option.

It is mainly mid ships where the lifts are a problem because there are no stairs. This does impact on the fore and aft lifts but if your cabin is fore or aft, it is not too bad apart from at evening meal time for club diners.

Am a bit worried about the negative comments I've read about the lifts on Britannia. We've cruised frequently and there's very often a problem waiting for lifts but I'm wondering if it's a bigger problem on Britannia. From past experiences, ships need more lifts rather than less. Being a wheelchair user, lifts are vital, I don't have the option of walking up/down stairs so is it a bigger problem on Britannia than other ships. I have to say I really don't understand young able bodied people waiting for lifts to go up or down a flight or 2 of stairs which I've often seen. It seems madness to me when they could get to their destination quicker as well as working off some of the extra calories gained through the voyage. Sorry that might sound a bit bitter, I don't mean it to, probably just a slight case of envy wishing I had the option.

No, it doesn't sound bitter at all. The good news is that when we were on Britannia we found that able bodied people were very considerate of those passengers who needed to use the lifts more. Just to ask where your cabin is as we were in an aft cabin and the lifts there were fine.

We travelled with our wheelchair bound Mums on Britannia. The nearest lifts were the midship ones where there were no stairs. The lifts were small, very poorly sequenced and often out of order. I would say 50% of the time we had to split up as we couldn't get the four of us in one lift. The sight of a lift door opening and people packed like sardines looking out was commonplace to us at least. We had to allow a lot of extra time to get anywhere and our longest wait was 20 minutes to get on a lift. Many would just get any lift, up or down so that they were at least in one and the temptation (requirement?) to do so becomes stronger as frustration rises. I know some say it wasn't a problem for them but it is the worst design in terms of lifts of any ship we have sailed on. It's a very common complaint in reviews too. Whilst walking to the fore or aft lifts might be a solution for some, unfortunately when rooms are being serviced it's impossible for wheelchairs to pass along the corridors without waiting for the cabin stewards to reposition their trolley to let you pass making every journey arduous. Twice stewards actually asked 'could they maybe get out and walk past the trolley'. This made our Mums feel like an imposition.

Have to say, never had an issue with lifts on Celebrity with our Mum. The issue is poor design for the amount of passengers onboard. We wouldn't sail on Britannia again with wheelchair passengers. Way too stressful and inconvenient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk