Beach and transportation suggestions in St. Kitts

Hi all - We are headed off to the Eastern Caribbean aboard the Allure in a couple months. Anyone have beach suggestions for St. Kitts? We are traveling with little kids, so safe and clean is important. Also need to know transportation options, distance, and cost. Many thanks!

Edited by chenj78

Hi all - We are headed off to the Eastern Caribbean aboard the Allure in a couple months. Anyone have beach suggestions for St. Kitts? We are traveling with little kids, so safe and clean is important. Also need to know transportation options, distance, and cost. Many thanks!

We were in St. Kitts in January and weren't really sure what to do. We decided to take a taxi to a beach and originally got dropped off at South Friars Bay at Shipwreck Beach. There were signs everywhere to be careful of sea urchins and the beach was very small and not very pleasant. We decided to walk down and see what we could find and came across Carambola Beach Resort and it was AMAZING!!!! We decided to grab our things and go down there. They don't pressure you to buy a chair if you don't want and the water is clear and beautiful! No sea urchins! I think the taxi was about $12 each way for 2 people but I can't quite remember. Here is the link for Carambola http://www.carambolabeachclub.com/ We will be going back there next January! Enjoy!

FB_IMG_1460935564723.jpg.06cc6e75670b9c9d30095de39d245342.jpg

FB_IMG_1460935576900.jpg.5bc9498be57438917d6f9d326d1edf35.jpg

South Friars beach, which is the beach where the Carambola Beach Club is located. We went here with 3 kids aged 5-13 and all were happy. This is also a very popular beach with locals because it's one of the best beaches. When we were there it was a holiday and full of locals having BBQs which was cool. Bring your own snorkel gear and you can play in the water all day long.

On the drive there, you will pass an area where you can view the split between the Atlantic ocean and the Carribean.

The carambola beach club has expensive food. No need to really be at this restaurant/club if you don't want to, but they will rent you chairs and unbrellas if you want them. They have some of the best piña coladas I tried on that trip, but they are expensive, as is the food. I bought my daughter some small sushi snack for like $20 and two Pina Coladas (one with alcohol, one without) also cost me $20 total. But if we hadn't bought those we could have gone there for just the cab fare, which was $14 round trip for each person (kids and adults same price).

We like the Reggae Bar part of Cockleshell Beach. Nice facilities, large beach, and view of Nevis.

We went there last May on the Independence. Went to Cockleshell Beach. Had a great time. There are loungers to rent. Food and drinks on site. Took a nice cab ride over from port. About 15 minutes? Maybe a little longer. We drove with a bunch of other passengers. More like a small bus ride. When you get off the ship and head outside to the shops, you'll see a bunch of cab drivers standing around with notebooks with photos of local beaches they can take you to.

We went there last May on the Independence. Went to Cockleshell Beach. Had a great time. There are loungers to rent. Food and drinks on site. Took a nice cab ride over from port. About 15 minutes? Maybe a little longer. We drove with a bunch of other passengers. More like a small bus ride. When you get off the ship and head outside to the shops, you'll see a bunch of cab drivers standing around with notebooks with photos of local beaches they can take you to.

Forgot to mention what a nice drive it was to Cockleshell. Very picturesque, and one point you see both the Atlantic and Caribbean from the top of a mountain.

Reggae Beach at i think it was called Cockleshell beach or something like that. We just took a short cab/shuttle ride to there. i think it was like 4 or 5 dollars each way

That's correct, the whole area is called Cockleshell Beach and the Reggae Beach Bar is one of the facilities there.

Do you recall the fee for chair rentals and drinks at Reggae ?

food was great, drinks were fairly inexpensive- loved the rum punch! It packed a punch too! Kids will love that they have a monkey or two there that are friendly and live there. People who work there are very friendly. You can also get a massage on the beach which is very nice. Two chairs and umbrella $20. if i remember correctly you can rent some motorized water thing there too. Nice beach.