To Beaches from Royal Navy Dock Yard

darlou

Will be in Bermuda the last week in April for 3 days on NCL cruise. What is the best way to get to the beautiful beaches in Bermuda from this port and which ones do you recommend. Also I heard there is a beach at the port also so if I feel like not traveling is it within walking distance from the port. Thanks for everyone's help.

The beach near where you dock is named Snorkel Park Beach. It is not your typical Bermuda beach in that it is man made and there is an entry fee, but it is within walking distance from your cruise ship.

The best way to get to the beaches you are asking about would be a taxi. You will get door to door service but there is a price. The taxi fare will be from $34 to $43 plus tip depednding on the beach you select. That fare is up to 4 passengers with Monday to Saturday travel.

A bus is a second option. The fare would be $5.00 P/P or a Transportation Pass. The route #7 bus goes by the South Shore beaches; but be sure to read the thread titled 'No Tokens and only One Day Passes to be Sold at Dockyard in 2016' so you will understand the new policy in effect.

The most popular beach with the tourists is

with the taxi fare tol there being $34.50

SBtS

Will be in Bermuda the last week in April for 3 days on NCL cruise. What is the best way to get to the beautiful beaches in Bermuda from this port and which ones do you recommend. Also I heard there is a beach at the port also so if I feel like not traveling is it within walking distance from the port. Thanks for everyone's help.

Sailbad answered your question about getting to the beautiful South Shore beaches. I only want to stress that the beach at the Dockyard is not one of the beautiful beaches.

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks for all your help. I heard that the beach at the Dock Yard is not one of the beautiful beaches but it would do if we get lazy.I heard about Horseshoe beach. My wife heard of Elbow beach also. Do these places rent chairs and do they have rest rooms and places to eat.

Thanks for all your help. I heard that the beach at the Dock Yard is not one of the beautiful beaches but it would do if we get lazy.I heard about Horseshoe beach. My wife heard of Elbow beach also. Do these places rent chairs and do they have rest rooms and places to eat.

There are chair rentals at Horseshoe Bay, rest rooms with changing facilities and a concession stand.

Elbow Beach, there has not been chair rentals the last few years. You would have to do a day pass at Coco Reef or the Elbow Beach Resort for chairs and rest rooms.

Horseshoe is one of my favorites. But, as mentioned, you pretty much need to do it by taxi.

Yeah, you can bus it over, but not my cup of tea.

Also, when leaving, to get to the main road, you need to be part billy goat to climb that hill. If you do that, I strongly suggest you pay the $2 for a ride up.

Horseshoe is large, and if you walk a bit, you can find very uncrowded coves that are very nice.

_DSC0063.jpg

They have facilities for restrooms, changing as well as concession stand to buy food and beverages.

Horseshoe is one of my favorites. But, as mentioned, you pretty much need to do it by taxi.

Yeah, you can bus it over, but not my cup of tea.

Also, when leaving, to get to the main road, you need to be part billy goat to climb that hill. If you do that, I strongly suggest you pay the $2 for a ride up.

Horseshoe is large, and if you walk a bit, you can find very uncrowded coves that are very nice.

_DSC0063.jpg

They have facilities for restrooms, changing as well as concession stand to buy food and beverages.

I guess I am part billy goat.:) The walk up does not bother me. But I have also used the $2 guy cause I often travel with friends who need the lift. I have also used the $2 guy cause I like him.

I have taken a taxi also, sometime we have been there with four or more, so a taxi makes sense with that many.

Last year they had the Horseshoe Bay Shuttle, a private minibus service that charged $16 a round trip. Don't have to walk down the hill or back up. They go down to the beach. I used that the last day and was pleased with that service. I don't know if that service will exist this season, I have not seen it mentioned in the Gazette or the West End document but I expect there will be some kind minibuses to the beach and back available.

Edited by Charles4515

Does anyone know what the taxi fare would be from the dockyard to this area for a family of five? I know taxi rates increases for parties of 5-7. Thanks

To Horseshoe? For 5-7 it would be approximately $43.50 Monday thru Saturday. Surcharge on Sunday is 25%.

Edited by Charles4515

3 boys ages 12, 15, and 17. I know taxis for 5-7 ppl are more expensive, but at 9.00 pp round trip for a bus I wondered if we would be better off taking a taxi... I wanted to take it to Warwick, then hike the trail to Horseshoe. Thank you!!!

3 boys ages 12, 15, and 17. I know taxis for 5-7 ppl are more expensive, but at 9.00 pp round trip for a bus I wondered if we would be better off taking a taxi... I wanted to take it to Warwick, then hike the trail to Horseshoe. Thank you!!!

I asked for the children's ages because as passengers in a taxi, 2 12yo would count as one adult but now I see the ages, that option doesn't apply.

However, on the bus, the cash fare for children under 16 yo is $2.75; one day Transportation Passes are $9.50 for children under 16 yo.

SBtS

Thank you so much for your reply. Trying to figure out the best and most economical means of transportation during our two day visit this June for our family of 5. We have a four hour private tour scheduled the first day, then would like to go to the beach / hike to watch the sunset. (Bus or taxi?) The second day we may not go anywhere at all and just walk around the dockyard and check out anything interesting right there. Thanks again!

As a group of five I find taxi the best option. One time returning from Horseshoe Bay the bus was crowded and we couldn't fit 5 on board. Rather than split up I take a taxi. We did take the shuttle last year on the way back because the taxi line was long and there was room for all of us.

Thank you so much for your reply. Trying to figure out the best and most economical means of transportation during our two day visit this June for our family of 5. We have a four hour private tour scheduled the first day, then would like to go to the beach / hike to watch the sunset. (Bus or taxi?) The second day we may not go anywhere at all and just walk around the dockyard and check out anything interesting right there. Thanks again!

You asked about the sunset in a previous thread; here is the link to that thread.

Here is the link to a site which provides daily sunrise & sunset times by month for Hamilton.

SBtS